Hi, I am trying to plan a build for my Paladin and I could use some help picking Abilities (I'm good on Talents, I think). This is going to be an off-tank with Eder as my main tank, so it is more geared towards damage, specially opening batles with a gun and flames of devotion before switching to a pike.

Here is what I have so far (The attribute distribution is suboptimal on purpose):

Human - Aedyr Mercenary - Goldpact Knights

Mig 11 - 15 (4) -> +15% Damage and Healing, +10 Fortitude
Con 10 - 10 (0)
Dex 10 - 15 (5) -> +15% Action Speed, +10 Reflex
Per 10 - 14 (4) -> +12 Interrupt, +4 Deflection, +8 Reflex
Int 10 - 12 (2) -> +12% AoE, +10% Duration, +4 Will
Res 12 - 12 (0) -> +6 Concentration, +2 Deflection, +4 Will

*I'll be trying to pick up any item/talent that gives me +deflection... I hate being squishy (Probably will stick to breastplates).

1 Flames of Devotion
2 Weapon Focus Soldier
3 Zealous Focus                       -  +12 in Accurecy is important since base accuracy is low, can't afford to waste any Flames
4 Intense Flames
5 ?
6 Scion of Flame                      - I am hoping this stacks with Flames...
7 ?
8 Two-handed Style                 - Do we know if it also works with guns?
9 ?
10 Superior Deflection
11 ?
12 Deep Faith

Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paladin+guide+pillars+of+eternity

These videos should give you lots of information.

Also if you're going to pick up lots of stuff that gives you +deflection, you aren't focusing on being a damage dealer.  If Eder is your main tank, let him focus on getting that stuff.  You should instead focus on getting the damage oriented stuff on your paladin.  Sure give him items that boost deflection if you want, but imo you should focus on more important things with your talents.  

Two-handed style does not work with guns.

I would probably put the intelligence elsewhere, but otherwise your stats look fine -- you're spread between tanking and doing damage, but that's not a problem unless you're really, really set on min/maxing. 

There are nice +5 deflection rings early on. Make sure to use one of those. 

If you're going Goldpact, you might as well get their order specific abilities: Enduring Flames and Bond of Duty, which work with Flames of Devotion and Liberating Exhortation respectively.

Otherwise, relax. There really aren't any 'bad' paladin abilities -- they all provide their own degree of useful support to the team. Just pick what you feel would help supplement your team.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paladin+guide+pillars+of+eternity

These videos should give you lots of information.

Also if you're going to pick up lots of stuff that gives you +deflection, you aren't focusing on being a damage dealer.  If Eder is your main tank, let him focus on getting that stuff.  You should instead focus on getting the damage oriented stuff on your paladin.  Sure give him items that boost deflection if you want, but imo you should focus on more important things with your talents.  

Thanks for the link.

As for focusing in damage, I would say with only 2 per encounter Flames, my damage output will drop drastically after the first couple rounds, which is why I would then just be an off-tank, hence the deflection bonus items/talents. We'll see how effective that is on Hard...

Two-handed style does not work with guns.

I would probably put the intelligence elsewhere, but otherwise your stats look fine -- you're spread between tanking and doing damage, but that's not a problem unless you're really, really set on min/maxing. 

There are nice +5 deflection rings early on. Make sure to use one of those. 

If you're going Goldpact, you might as well get their order specific abilities: Enduring Flames and Bond of Duty, which work with Flames of Devotion and Liberating Exhortation respectively.

Otherwise, relax. There really aren't any 'bad' paladin abilities -- they all provide their own degree of useful support to the team. Just pick what you feel would help supplement your team.

Too bad it does not work on ranged weapons... Still, my main weapon will be the pike so I think it is still worth while.

As for the Intellect, it is there both for an RP purpose as well as to boost the Zealus focus a bit. Duration will probably not come into play, unless I get Enduring Flames (Though in my experience damage over time stuff never pays off, specially since battles in PoE are so short... Am I wrong to think so?)

Bond of Duty sounds way to situational, though I suppose I have room, probably the last one I'd pick though...

Edited by guiskj

If you're not maxing both might and dex, just max might. You only get 2 flames of devotion per encounter, may as well have them hit as hard as possible before you're doing mediocre damage.

I would also say it's definitely not worth taking scion of flames just to buff flames of devotion. The DoT is better value against enemies that matter.

Here's how I'd build this style of Paladin (ignore minor threat I just happened to quickly select orlan) -

061pSNO.jpg

Edited by Odd Hermit

As for the Intellect, it is there both for an RP purpose

I assume this means for dialogue options. There will be a ton of missed checks with 12s and 14s in the dialogue stats.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff