Skills: completely unimportant?

Okay, I've decided to dabble a bit, because skilling seemed to make no difference. I've played my fair share amount of time, on easy and hard (~40 hours since release).

My question is: Are skills completely useless? Mostly, things seem to decide on level, except for the story, that one just goes along weather you have the level or not.

Comparison:

Good-skilled party, l4-5 at light house, skilled properly. Complete fail, can't seem to do the first room on lighthouse.

Worst-Skilled party ever (fighter only int, mage on const, priest in distance wand-fighting on dex, Wizard on Dex, Ranger on Const, Chanter skilled on Const), and all only leveled-up stealth - with ease at level 6-7 at lighthouse, works only with autoattack, you can go afk to take a piss if you want.

Really? I mean, I love the game, but that's a bit ridiculous. And I could beat the Draken in Caed Nua with both, the good skilled and bad skilled party - on hard (took some time and a lot of tries though, and a proper party setup - I needed an off-tank (Eder, I'm fighter myself) and two priests (Durance and my own one), ofc a chanter (NOT Kana Rua, skilled badly - most powerful vocation I'd guess though, at least at longer fights they are .. or there is no replace for their skes/dragons/ghosts - chanter does it's own party), and I used a ranger because I don't get along with rogues well yet, neither I do with ciphers - and melee there seemed to be deadly.

That's hard? Try better... 

Edited by STiAT

I don't think I understood a word of that. lol

Although on second read, there seems to be a complaint that a Level 6-7 party is plowing through the lighthouse while a level 4-5 party is getting their asses kicked. So.... the conclusion to be drawn from that is: a higher level party is more powerful than a lower level party. Yeah. Terrible design. It's like the game is trying to be an RPG or something. They really should fix that in the next patch.

Edited by Stun

I don't think I understood a word of that. lol

Although on second read, there seems to be a complaint that a Level 6-7 party is plowing through the lighthouse while a level 4-5 party is getting their asses kicked. So.... the conclusion to be drawn from that is: a higher level party is more powerful than a lower level party. Yeah. Terrible design. It's like the game is trying to be an RPG or something. They really should fix that in the next patch.

You didn't understand any of it, correct.

@OP. I feel ya man, however there are a great many bugs affecting both difficulty and attribute scores. I stomped through a hard play through and started a second making sure to avoid these bugs and the game is a bit more even In the regard I'd expect.

the point that Jon sawyer attempted to address was a bad Stat spread could still play the game. Apparently he succeeded.