Shuts down computer

pontifex

Question

The game to shut down my computer(oddly, no blue screen or start-up "Improper shutdown" options) after random amounts of time.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.  It's happened at the main screen when I stepped a way for a bit to make dinner.  It's happened during character creation a couple of times.  It's also happened while actively playing.

Anyone having similar issues?

• Like 1

Hey gulla and tleilaxu, have you tried following what Dragoonlordz says he did here?

I ran a windows update, ran a memory test (which came back fine), uninstalled Precision and installed Afterburner plus reinstalled my audio drivers and it seems the crashing to desktop has stopped. I do not know if the shut downs will stop though. I will continue to monitor my CPU and GPU temps but both as have said many times are running perfectly cool and certainly not overheating, will try playing for a long period of time see if shuts down again. I haven't had the crash to desktop or the shut down for over a day now so maybe both are fixed though that might be wishful thinking on the shut down aspect but the things I did above did certainly fix the crash to desktop issue.

This apparently solved the problem for the most part for him, so it might assist you guys if you haven't tried all of the suggested solutions yet. In the meantime, I'm submitting another report to the team about the issues you all are still having. Capping the framerate and making sure your computer isn't dusty was the main solution for a lot of people, but seeing that the issue is still persistent after that for you guys means that we'll be taking another look.

• Like 1

Hey gulla and tleilaxu, have you tried following what Dragoonlordz says he did here?

I ran a windows update, ran a memory test (which came back fine), uninstalled Precision and installed Afterburner plus reinstalled my audio drivers and it seems the crashing to desktop has stopped. I do not know if the shut downs will stop though. I will continue to monitor my CPU and GPU temps but both as have said many times are running perfectly cool and certainly not overheating, will try playing for a long period of time see if shuts down again. I haven't had the crash to desktop or the shut down for over a day now so maybe both are fixed though that might be wishful thinking on the shut down aspect but the things I did above did certainly fix the crash to desktop issue.

This apparently solved the problem for the most part for him, so it might assist you guys if you haven't tried all of the suggested solutions yet. In the meantime, I'm submitting another report to the team about the issues you all are still having. Capping the framerate and making sure your computer isn't dusty was the main solution for a lot of people, but seeing that the issue is still persistent after that for you guys means that we'll be taking another look.

After windows update and reinstallation of audio drivers, the game is running right now and has been for about 20 minutes. Temp before opening game was 45C, right now it's about 70C, though while playing the game it shot up to 91C at one point. Not sure if the solution is permanent but will update. 

edit: Played the game for about 2 hours, no shutdown. But the Afterburner monitor showed GPU going crazy, and temps were regularly in the 80s, with the fan going wild. There is something in the game that causes this to happen, no other program has the same effect, so I hope the developers continue to look into it. Unless I post again, things are fine on my end.

Edited by tleilaxu

shutdown tonight after about 3 hours playing, so there is still some issue. over the past week i played a few times for short periods (<2hr) and it worked. in spite of this problem, i had great fun while playing.  

Edited by tleilaxu

Hi i'm having random shut down issues only with POE though it seems to be occurring most when i quick save, I noticed someone else has had the same problem, has a cause and or solution been found yet? i've tried lowering frame rate to 60 and cleaned out my pc. 

attached output and dxdiag but wouldn't let me attach save file. Love the game so far though just like a perfect spiritual successor to old rpgs i grew up playing

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Right been playing for some time now and had no more crashes, I;m not 100% sure if i've cleared the problem but perhaps  one or a combination of the above steps has helped

I cleaned a load of dust out of my pc, especially on the heat sync over my processor

installed that MSI afterburner and set framelimit and framestep to 50 ish

using in game option set frame limit to 60

also updated some windows files (windows 7)

will update if i get any more crashes but i think this has been the longest i've played now with no problems. Was actually strange exiting the game manually

Hello all

Getting the same issue here. Tried all the above options, cleaning fans/heatsinks, upping fan output to cool GPU, capping frame rate, installing all the most recent windows 7 and graphics card drivers. (i have not updated sound card drivers as i have onboard sound disabled. PSU is also dust free as it's new (and fully tested, so not that)

After i powered back up i was able to boot up and play Shadow of Mordor without any problems whatsoever.

I'm getting exactly the same as the other people. CPU and GPU steadily spike in temperature untill they get to around 80 degrees and then computer powers down. sometimes, even as early as character creation. I can play it in 10 minute chunks, and i even had a brief while without any crashes at all (before the most recent patch), it's just now they are getting more and more frequent.

System specs:

AMD-FX-8100

8gb ram

Radeon HD 7770

500gb Seagate Barracuda HD

Sorry, it won't let me post a log (i am brand new) but i will see if i can follow up with another post.

Hope someone can help. Really want to play this game!

D

...I'm getting exactly the same as the other people. CPU and GPU steadily spike in temperature untill they get to around 80 degrees and then computer powers down. sometimes, even as early as character creation. I can play it in 10 minute chunks, and i even had a brief while without any crashes at all (before the most recent patch)...

If the crashes occurred with the 1.06 update, then going back to 1.05 might be your best bet (though this will likely mean reinstalling Pillars and applying the 1.05 update if you kept a copy - remembering to backup saved games first).

80°C is high but shouldn't be enough to cause a shutdown - are these temps being reported from software utilities like CoreTemp/RealTemp and MSI Afterburner or another source? The AMD FX chips can run hot so if you've followed all the steps suggested previously (and disabled overclocking if applicable) then the next step would be to try the Prime95 Torture Test (select Small or In-Place, not Blend which tests the full system rather than just the CPU) and see if your PC can run that for a couple of hours without crashing or reporting errors.

If Prime95 runs OK, that points the finger at Pillars - if you get a crash or shutdown then that points the finger at your system. Given all the other steps you say you followed, the one remaining (and this can make a huge difference) is checking that you have enough thermal grease between the heatsink and your CPU and that the heatsink is fitted on properly (i.e. remove it, clean, reapply thermal grease, replace). There's loads of advice on this online but I would suggest making a record of your CPU idle temperature (which shouldn't be more than a couple of degrees above room temperature) before and after checking your heatsink to see what difference it makes.

Hello, Gl1tch.  Can you please try what AstralWanderer suggested and then get back to us?  If that doesn't work please upload a saved game and output log to Dropbox and post a link here so we can take a closer look.  Thanks for your support and patience during this issue!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hello both, and thanks for the advice! have been away from the computer a couple of days, so will give it a go as soon as i get a free moment. 

The readings were from core temp and afterburner that I tried on different occasions (wanted to be sure) but the torture test sounds like a good way to go. Might see if i have an hour or two tomorrow when i am arround but not using the pc (easier said than done, haha!)

D

ive tried razor cortex  rearranging GeForce for gpu and still keeps shuting down can anyone please help my computer is one year old and is a gaming computer if neone could please help on tips , also set my natural computer to performace over graphics if ne that works here could please help id be appreciated

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing the same issue. Here's my story:

I've been playing POE II as a Druid character when she reached level 18 and my computer started shutting down every time I loaded my most recent save.

About 20 attempts to identify the possible cause of the issue gave me some clues that lead to nowhere. Basically, shutdowns happen when there is a special effect as in when your character restores a pillar in the game.

I didn't have any changes to hardware. As for the software part ... maybe new NVIDIA driver.

HW Monitor shows no signs of overheating. I can play Skyrim/Fallout 4 on max settings.

Date of occurrence is somewhere in October 2018.

Also, guess what!

I started feeling nostalgia and thought that POE 1 would be a good idea to play.

The game did exactly the same thing, i.e. shut down my computer during Act 1 - Introduction. My PC shut itself exactly at the beginning after we kick some human enemies and main story starts. I was able to finish the game about 15 months before this post on the same machine.

As a result, I am not sure what I can do... There seem to be no debugging features, nor meaningful log output. Event Viewer doesn't show sh*t.

Does anyone do similar game dev and tell wtf is going on?

My machine is AMD FX with a NVIDIA GPU.

Yes it is pretty probably feasible that obsidian may want to without problems repair it, since most probably is only a single piece in a series of factors that by chance to get new device as you can read reviews. Good good fortune for your in addition investigation, I will nonetheless comply with this thread and if I can add anything, I will accomplish that.