Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

Thanks for your answer.

Regarding Accuracy via perception:

Also consider that this would retroactively make the Path of the Damned difficulty somewhat harder as all enemies would receive a significant accuracy boost if they get +50% attributes.

What's your opinion on Savage Attacks? It looks pretty great on paper. As straight forward as it looks, or is -15 Accuracy weighted differently than I expect (moderate penalty, but not terribly heavy)? As it reads, I get the feeling it's basically always worth it. 

Personally I prefer Vulnerable Attack instead as since they removed accuracy from Attributes you need every point of Accuracy you can get. It's still a good talent and it also stacks with Vulnerable Attack I think, but I prefer Vulnerable Attack.

Vulnerable Attack and Two Weapon Fighting is my favourite melee combo because the Two Weapon Fighting speed increase completely offsets the speed penalty from Vulnerable Attack.

Edited by Sensuki

Yeah, I saw that combo and it looks a hell of a lot of fun, but I'm fairly set on a two-handed weapon on my first playthrough, and I'm worried that the attack speed loss from Vulnerable Attack isn't going to be made up for by 5 DR bypass. But the lack of an accuracy attribute is indeed making me reconsider Savage Attacks slightly. 

Arent Vulnerable Attack and Savage Attack modal and therefore exclusive? Barbarians Reckless Assault is also a Modal one. Or did I understand the Modal mechanic wrong?

Problem for Savage attack would be that with the additional +15% miss chance (instead of crits in worst case), you would also lose damage multiplicators like from strength or enchantments.

In addition active abilities might also not be very reliable anymore.

Thanks a lot for the video! It answered a lot of questions I had and I've now decided to preorder the game.

Could you give some advice on how to build a melee ranger statswise? I'm guessing might/dexterity/perception, but I don't know whether or not melee rangers benefit from intelligence. I'm also torn between using a 2h weapon and dual wielding, which also might affect stat choice (dexterity is apparently not good when using slower weapons?).

You could get away with it if you also took Shadowing Beyond, and maybe Coordinated Positioning. Get close with Stealth, fire a shot, use Coordinated Positioning to swap positions with the Fighter, go invisible, go close and shoot them again. Many lulz were had etc (providing you don't get disabled after you first fire).

Edited by Sensuki

since they removed accuracy from Attributes you need every point of Accuracy you can get.

It seems like there are already good guesses around for how high you can push deflection but do you have any estimate on how far you will be able to boost your accuracy by items (excluding any abilities/talents)?

From the comparisons you were drawing in the video, it sounds like you know 4e D&D fairly well; if I wanted to make something like an illusionist wizard, would I do better going with an actual wizard or a cipher here?  The mind-attacking spells thing sounds like cipher might be a better fit, while proper wizards are maybe more evokers?

As far as I know the only semi-illusion related spells are Wizard spells, although the Cipher has one spell called Phantom Foes I guess.

I'm most familiar with AD&D 2E and 3E. Played and DM'd 4E once each, and never played 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Do you know whether Blunderbusses trigger secondary effects like Carnage or Deep Wounds 4 times? Or is it counted as one shot in that regards?

And related: If you attack an enemy with an attack like Blinding Strike and do not hit with the normal attack. Do you still have an additional roll for Blinding? Or will it always miss if the main attack wasn't successful? Does this mean that a blunderbuss attack normally has a higher chance of success as its unlikely that all 4 bullets miss?

If you use Blinding Strike on a Blunderbuss it will apply the blinding effect each time, and keep the highest duration. Haven't tested Deep Wounds I don't think, but I assume the duration just gets reset like Blinding Strike.

And yeah if your primary attack misses, secondary attack does too. Blunderbuss has 8 projectiles though, I've never missed all of them (yet).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Hi Sensuki what would be a good build stats wise for a human sword and shield fighter that's focused on being able to take hits but also deal them

out? Thinking abilities wise Knock Down and then Constant Recovery, since it auto regenerates stamina, but I'm just not sure what Attributes to pick.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´