Will the Steam Royal Edition have a User Manual

I don't think there is a user manual for this game?

Royal Edition comes with a Strategy Guide (digital)

Also you can use the game Wikis which will probably be more updated and have more info than a manual anyway:

Gamepedia

Orcz

Edited by DruidX

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki

For all I know, there is a manual for the physical versions. (80 pages or something?)

So I guess, whether there is a digital version of said manual included with the digital copies, -is- a perfectly valid question.

I would certainly hope there is.

You know,  in case the evil shipping lag hits me hard. Would be kinda sad, to only be able to read the manual after playing the game.

Edited by Wespenfresser

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Chris Avellone wrote the manual. So yes, there will be a manual.

I am not sure what you are referencing, but Chris didn't write the manual.

All digital copies of the game will come with a digital copy of the manual.

• Like 4

Hmmm...whoops. I must have misremembered the exact quote. http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9733

MCA also elaborated on what his current role on the game is in general:

Chris Avellone: "I’ve been doing narrative fixes for the game now that it’s nearing the end of production along with reviewing other written support materials (the manual, for example, since I’ve written quite a few in the past). Feargus requested my assistance for two reasons – one, the narrative team did not have the time and two, because of my familiarity with the title. 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So the question has NOT been answered:

Dear Obsidian:

Will Steam buyers of the Royal Edition get a PDF version of the Game Manual that I feel sure MUST exist for a game of this size and complexity. If there is no written manual for an OLDSCHOOL RPG specifically, that has REAL complex attributes, stats, Skills, abilities, points, training, crafting and gods know what else, then this is NOT going to be a well received game. We oldtimers remember beautiful written documentation about all aspects of "playing the game", all the how-to's, all the key codes, which are hopefully all changeable for us "unfortunate" lefties, all the introductions to the playworld, combat, characters, NPC's and every thing else that a GOOD GAME MANUAL contains. 

So, Obsidian, is there a Game Manual or not?

How long is it?, will we downloading it with the Steam Royal (and other ) editions of the game (in pdf)?  This is an important question for all players who know how a REAL, RPG game, especially a complex, large one, must have a good Game Manual. It's, Like, as important as the game itself. 

And, yes, I've already ordered the 2 books available, The Prima Guide (which is not an official game manual, nor does it pretend to be one), and the other book that's available right now... I got them both on Amazon. They'll arive on the 24'th, 2 days before the game's officially released to us pre-purchasing Steam Users.

Thank you for answering my pertinent question, Obsidian.

UtherOrange 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Uther. Just to be clear, doesn't this answer your question? Apparently "[a]ll digital copies of the game will come with a digital manual."
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So the question has NOT been answered:

[... snip ...]

Seriously?

So yes, there will be a manual available for download. It'll be pretty decent in size, too - but perhaps not quite as hefty as some of the classics had. There's an unboxing video somewhere that shows off the manual a little.

[EDIT] Ninja'd by Cantousent. By three minutes, even. Whoops!

Edited by Ark Evensong

Don't be hard on yourself Ark. Posts from new members need to be approved and so I saw it before you. The good news is that there will be a manual. Frankly, I would have been surprised if there hadn't been one! ...But I have those moments when I miss something, so no harm, no foul on any side.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, atleast I'm not the only one who has reading comprehension issues on this thread. 

Apparently I didn't quite get that Avellone ended up helping with the editing of the manual, and not actually writing it.  

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Ah, manuals... I feel so old now XD

Still hate reading them in .pdf rather than on paper though...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well...........hmmmmmmmmm........Seems i need to say a few more things here. First,  I would like to humbly and deeply thank those who have answered my apparently (for some still unknown-to-myself reason) "offensive" question regarding whether there would be a manual with the "digital" game.

The ONLY reason I asked the question has nothing to do with my being new to this forum, which I am, but that I've had the HORROR of buying MANY wonderful digital games, especially some re-released wonderful old-school RPG's, that came with no manual whatsoever!  And, I was flamed by MANY in appropriate forums for even ASKING such an apparently asinine question. I was made to look stupid for wanting a manual that "actually came with the ORIGINAL game", but not the digital one. I was flamed by some probably very young people who have only played games on CONSOLES that have NEVER had any manuals. What you don't KNOW ABOUT or NEVER SEE you will never miss, right? How sad.  It is a sad, but very true statement about the wonderful re-release of many older games in a digital format, but WITHOUT the game's manual included in the download.

DirectToDrive did this. GameStop did this. and , yes Steam did this, and still does by the way. So how many of you oldtimers like me have spent lots of time praying over the site: 

http://www.replacementdocs.com/news.php  

that lets you download other peoples' scanned versions of their own printed copies of manuals for games that have been released digitally without a manual???   HMMM?????   I've had to download at least 8, and I believe I was never able to find 3 or 4, and actually cried over the loss.

A beautiful and complete game manual is a beautiful thing, and I HOPE that I'm not the only one here who thinks that. And I'm very grateful and happy and SURE that there will be a GREAT manual with this game! I never actually doubted it, because I think Obsidian is AWESOME, and i MEAN IT!  I just didn't see it listed in contents of the various versions, that all.  end of story.

So, please gentle readers, don't flame me anymore for this innocent question, ok :)  I really love you all and can't wait to play this awesome game!

Laurel Swearengen, aka UtherOrange , in Memphis TN

a 58 year-old, hippy, she-wolf programmer for Fedex (38 years), who loves RPGS and their wonderful worlds more than this world........these worlds are where my heart lives.............. ROCK ON, OBSIDIAN!!!!! I've almost finished Wasteland 2!

• Like 1

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't think your initial question was offensive. Your second one sounded a wee bit impatient maybe, but then I found out you work for FedEx and figured you're just used to getting it there *fast!* hehe Anyhow, keep rockin' on, Uther, and we'll be reading beautiful manuals and kicking some monstrous arse any day now! :Cant's Rockin on icon:

Obsidian Plays