Question about Rogue's talent progress in character creation about backstab/shadowing beyond

Keep backstab a passive. Make SB a 2/encounter (1/encounter is ehh?). Would make the Rogue super powerful. Get SB at level 2, backstab lv. 4. or have a choice between the 2 at level 2 from the get go.

Everyone wins in this thread.

Or leave the rogue as it is and have be well balanced.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Speaking of stealth/scouting mode has anyone determined which skill related to scout/search powers the search function ( stealth or mechanics or a combination of the two?) - 

I've been fooling with some builds that have the points to boost both mechanics and lore (to deal with locks/traps and hidden items as well as opening conversational options) and have had some mixed results (sometimes only the BB rogue can find a couple of the hidden items).

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Speaking of stealth/scouting mode has anyone determined which skill related to scout/search powers the search function ( stealth or mechanics or a combination of the two?) -

I've been fooling with some builds that have the points to boost both mechanics and lore (to deal with locks/traps and hidden items as well as opening conversational options) and have had some mixed results (sometimes only the BB rogue can find a couple of the hidden items).

From the official wiki:

"Traps and locks can be a problem for even the toughest adventurers, draining their resources and maiming or killing those who are unfortunate enough to trigger an unseen floor plate. The Mechanics skill makes it easier to open locks and find and disable traps. Additionally, any character can use the Mechanics skill to place traps of their own. The higher the Mechanics skill, the more accurate the trap. In conversations and scripted interactions, Mechanics can be used to activate or disable a variety of machines."

"Stealth allows characters of any class to attempt to avoid being seen or heard. It is used automatically whenever the character is in Scouting mode. The higher the character's skill, the closer they can get to enemies before being detected."

Calibrating...

From the official wiki:

"Traps and locks can be a problem for even the toughest adventurers, draining their resources and maiming or killing those who are unfortunate enough to trigger an unseen floor plate. The Mechanics skill makes it easier to open locks and find and disable traps. Additionally, any character can use the Mechanics skill to place traps of their own. The higher the Mechanics skill, the more accurate the trap. In conversations and scripted interactions, Mechanics can be used to activate or disable a variety of machines."

"Stealth allows characters of any class to attempt to avoid being seen or heard. It is used automatically whenever the character is in Scouting mode. The higher the character's skill, the closer they can get to enemies before being detected."

Yep I've seen that - no where does it address finding hidden objects (that are not traps) which is what I am asking about - things that show up outlined in pink - 

From the official wiki:

Yep I've seen that - no where does it address finding hidden objects (that are not traps) which is what I am asking about - things that show up outlined in pink -

Should still be tied to mechanics?

Calibrating...

From the official wiki:

Could be - just asking if anyone knows for certain one way or the other (perhaps someone who has been looking under the hood)

This. Assassins in BG2 are utterly, utterly insane. Repeated, unlimited 9x damage modifiers against a wealth of enemies. Shenanigans is an epic understatement. I don't understand why so many seem to underestimate it so much. It's all about positioning, tactical introduction of the backstabber, and then just keep wrecking ****.

Assassins in BG2 are pretty low tier characters, mainly because the really tough enemies can't be backstabbed.

From the official wiki:

I had thought it was perception. Is that not true?