Why can't we bind stuff to our extra mouse buttons?

TrueMenace

I have the same issue in Wasteland 2. I think extra mouse buttons are not supported.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I usually solve this by assigning mouse buttons to keyboard functions, and then making games call for those keyboard functions.

For example, I've assigned Pg. Down, Pg. Up, Home and End to my mouse, and then I tell the game to use those for whatever.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

Thanks @Luckmann, good tip :)

but since I'm a scrap at the matter.. how can I assign keyboard functions to mouse buttons ?!

Edited by constantine

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Thanks @Luckmann, good tip :)

but since I'm a scrap at the matter.. how can I assign keyboard functions to mouse buttons ?!

Depends on your mouse, I guess. I'm using Logitech, and I know that they come with a program that allows you to reassign the mouse buttons (Logitech Setpoint, although I'm not sure if they still use that for newer mouses/keyboards). I'd be surprised if there isn't a generic program out there that lets you reassign or re-interpret the generic "Mouse 1 though 5"-buttons too.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Unity has definitions for up to 7 mouse buttons, but it only seems to report clicks for buttons 1-3.  It's on my list to look at, but I not too sure if we can do anything about without completely circumventing Unity's input system (not much of an option at this stage).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unity has definitions for up to 7 mouse buttons, but it only seems to report clicks for buttons 1-3.  It's on my list to look at, but I not too sure if we can do anything about without completely circumventing Unity's input system (not much of an option at this stage).

I honestly can't believe that a whole engine doesn't support more than 3 mouse buttons. How pathetic is that??? Really, that's just unacceptable in 2015. Dragon Age Inquisition did the same rubbish at release so please, please don't follow their lead. Offering FULL (!!!) mouse support is a standard feature for PC games nowadays and not just some extra mile...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

I refuse to install any mouse drivers of any kind so I don't have that option.

Have you tried AutoHotkey? It can rebind mouse buttons 4 and 5.

For example, to set 'M4' and 'M5' to 'a' and 'b', respectively, use this as the AutoHotkey script:

XButton1::a
XButton2::b
Edited by CatatonicMan

• 3 weeks later...

Sure would be nice if they put it in at some point BUT here's a quick'n dirty solution for now without some keybinder

disclaimer: don't screw with you registry, danger, backup, etc.

So:

• open "regedit".
  • browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity
  • find which keymap you want to rebind
  • change value (before : is 1st option, after is second. Don't remove special character at the end)
For reference, mouse buttons range from codes 323 to 329 (left, right, middle, 3rd, 4th, etc).

That doesn't work for me, since as far as I can tell, Unity does not even check those extra buttons - you can set the binding, but it won't do anything.  But I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can successfully bind a mouse button above 325 to any of the hotkeys and activate it in game, it may be some particularity of my mouse or computer.

I bound Stealth in and out to Mouse4 and 5 and it worked.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

Logitech G400 - no mouse drivers

The bound key in game (LEFT ALT) still works, as well (hardcoded?)

edit: oh there's a stealth on and stealth off, and a toggle stealth

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

That doesn't work for me, since as far as I can tell, Unity does not even check those extra buttons - you can set the binding, but it won't do anything.  But I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can successfully bind a mouse button above 325 to any of the hotkeys and activate it in game, it may be some particularity of my mouse or computer.

Been using that way of mapping my mouse buttons since BB 393 I think and been working flawlessly for me so far but yea, on a (hard to find, from 2010!) post about the whole mouse buttons 4+ problem, couple Unity devs indicated that only 3 buttons are supposed to work on everything, with everything, rest being OS, component dependent and...that's that.

For info: Windows 7 64x and some random Gigabyte mouse (M6800) with some generic drivers.

Edited by mutonizer

Thanks guys.  This should be much more reliable at launch, Brett found a call that seems to work better.

Wait, what does this exactly mean? Does it mean that on launch day we can actually bind stuff to our extra mouse buttons without having to do some voodoo registry editing? 

Calibrating...

Thanks guys.  This should be much more reliable at launch, Brett found a call that seems to work better.

Wait, what does this exactly mean? Does it mean that on launch day we can actually bind stuff to our extra mouse buttons without having to do some voodoo registry editing? 

Yes.

Probably, yep.

Hopefully they fixed pressing buttons too.

I'm not aware of this one.

• Like 2