Who else is disappointed with the game's battle music theme

Jeremy Soule type of game music must be killed with fire.

Shun the Nonbeliever!!!

This just reminds me of BG2. I tried finding a recording of it online, but you'll just have to read it in the right voice.

Death..! to the disbelieveeer!

t50aJUd.jpg

The track from the PAX Stream sounded at an attempt to sound like BG2. It succeeded in that attempt but I found it was lacking in a few areas. The same track also repeated almost instantly as soon as it ended which would be infuriating in game.

Don't IE games simply loop combat music over and over?

The track from the PAX Stream sounded at an attempt to sound like BG2. It succeeded in that attempt but I found it was lacking in a few areas. The same track also repeated almost instantly as soon as it ended which would be infuriating in game.

I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to it yet, could you please tell me which kind of loop is used?

1. track plays *fully* (including intro/outro), then loops back to the beginning

2. intro plays once, main "meat" loops while combat is ongoing, then outro plays once

I would be perfectly fine with 2., while I understand how 1. would be a bit disturbing.

I’ll have to check, but I think Baldur’s Gate (I & II) used something similar to 2.

Edited by vv221

Don't IE games simply loop combat music over and over?

Quite right, at least in the Baldur's Gate games. The Combat music in BG1 and BG2 in particular have a strong sense of forward progression though and I think they were composed specifically to be repeated.

I didn't find the track in the stream to be particularly progressive or to have starting and ending points neutral to looping. That is however just the impression I got when I listened to the stream.

If your combat music is not composed to be as easily repeatable then it may be worth looking into handling how the music is played slightly differently.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1