Reboot or Re-imagineering that are drastically different from - and superior to - the original classics

ktchong

Dawn of War was pretty good, especially the Dark Crusade add on. DoW 2 was a good game but it lacked the scale of the first one. I also liked this game.

I played a lot of MP in it. really a lot of fun, fairly simple but fun when you get those moments of need for mindless carnage.

Edited by Darkpriest

Loved original Tombraider, can't stand the new ones.

But this doesn't mean I think all games today are worse than the ones of the past, or vice versa.

This (on both accounts). Got bored with the latest Tomb Raider 30 minutes into the game, haven't touched it since. TR:Anniversary still takes the prize as worst TR game ever though wink.png

X-Com 3 Apocalypse is for me a game that captured the idea of the original X-Coms and did most things right. The new one is for me how its done wrong (hated the game, never finished it).

Master of Orion 2 is for me another example of improving an original, Moo3 an example of how it's done wrong.

So I can't really say that a new version of an old game is inherently better or worse, it simply depends on the game. When you have more than one reimagining, it starts getting really muddled (as per the fallout discussion, is 2 better than 1? is 3 better than 2? is FO:NV better than 3? Better than 2?) =]

PS: Fun trivia, I've completed the original Tomb Raider twice since. Gog ftw!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If Gromnir hadn't mentioned Battlezone (1998) i would have written that no game achieved what OP wanted with the topic title.

And as far as i'm concerned Battlezone 2 is worse overall, despite it's improvements.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I liked Tomb Raider Reboot.

Of the three original games in the TR series I played, I really only liked the first one but it was a fun, fun game. Spent a lot of time climbing trying to find ways to solve puzzles (in fact, I played it so much that I had dreams of climbing).

They're not really the same kind of games, TR (original) and TR (remake) so I can't really rate them the same way, personally.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man