REAL Time... (with pause)

I'm actively against any animations that would move PoE from the IE feel. So I'd be very upset if the characters did anything except stand in place in front of one another and swing. Any sort of lurching, heaving, stepping around, jumping back and forth by characters would make the game worse in my opinion. But then again, I like to play dwarf fortress with just ASCII art so...

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Well, opinions of just because...

It is true it is a part of the IE games feel, but in those games you actually had to move your team around a lot. Besides that PoE is not meant to be carbon copy of IE games, which is obvious since several features are improved versions of some of the IE, BG features.

Progress and evolution gentlemen.

Oh, I'm fully aware that my desire for backflips is not only stupid, but would make PoE stupid if included. One thing we can agree on is that I sometimes have stupid tastes in things.

On the subject of progress and evolution, sometimes that gives you a platypus. I think it's fair to say that Baldur's Gate evolved into this age's Dragon Age: Inquisition. Not all evolution is good. I think it would be sexy to see some dodge animations, but focusing on adding much more than that I think detracts from what this is supposed to look/feel like.

Well, opinions of just because...

It is true it is a part of the IE games feel, but in those games you actually had to move your team around a lot. Besides that PoE is not meant to be carbon copy of IE games, which is obvious since several features are improved versions of some of the IE, BG features.

Progress and evolution gentlemen.

I never really moved my team around unless they had killed thier target. There's really functionaly no difference in how I play PoE and how I played BG, IWD, or the rest.

And the advances I want in over the IE games are in the rule mechanics (thank god for no save-or-die spells) and art resolution (BG:EE helps a lot, but still can be less than ideal at my monitor's native resolution). Having a ton of complex animations would turn PoE from a RPG I want to play, into one I don't... of which there are already many (e.g. Divinity: Original SIn; the Witcher 1, 2, or 3; the Elder Scrolls; etc.)

EDIT:

Baldur's Gate -> Baldur's Gate 2 -> Neverwinter Nights -> Neverwinter Nights 2 -> Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age 2 -> Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Bioware's evolution of fantasy games.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was completely developed by Obsidian. Bioware wasn't involved at all.

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

We all remember how we played IE games. Thank you.

You say those things as if this is voting so youre just going to vote no?  Besides, if those are the improvements then you got them. Have fun playing your perfectly wooden game.

What ton of complex animations? btw?

Did that just materialize in your head? (a rhetorical question)

We all remember how we played IE games. Thank you.

You say those things as if this is voting so youre just going to vote no?  Besides, if those are the improvements then you got them. Have fun playing your perfectly wooden game.

What ton of complex animations? btw?

Did that just materialize in your head? (a rhetorical question)

Yeah, i'm saying I disagree with your opening post. I do not want the animations you described in PoE. I think they would make the game worse.

The complex animations I'm refering to are the ones you explicitly mentioned: "lurching, heaving, stepping around, jumping back and forth etc."

-Josh Sawyer

Those are not complex.

They are more complex than the current animations.

-Josh Sawyer

yeah, It's not a matter of opinion. You want animations that are more complex than those currently in the game, I do not.

Not sure how directly responding to your comments and opening post could be off topic.

-Josh Sawyer

Thought the topic was about animations which IMO is opinion and imagination.  Considering the limitations of the isometric view I am happy with the current animations in PoE.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Its not a matter of opinion whether such additional stuff is complex or not. It is not. It is very basic stuff, already half done visually since characters are animated and they do move.

Youre just obtuse and dumb intentionally. Which just makes you pointless.

And a waste of time.

Complexity is not some binary switch, it is a continuum. And the animations you've suggested are more complex than those currently in the game. Even if the things you suggested are relatively basic in the grand scheme of things, they are still more complex than I want. Not sure how you think you can argue with this.

And it's not very polite to call someone obtuse or dumb. Could you please apologize for that?

• Like 2

-Josh Sawyer

Thought the topic was about animations which IMO is opinion and imagination.  Considering the limitations of the isometric view I am happy with the current animations in PoE.

hmm... so what view is Diablo 3? or Dawn of War? RTS game from 2008-2009 could do good 3D models real time animations an finishers...

just a couple of them. Sure that they might be some limitations because of the 2D background, but lets get real, we are dealing with 3D models here... not 2D sprites... right?

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

@illithid

Im no sure why you think your opinion on that has any merrit or relevance.

And you keep repeating yourself as if that will make your opinion actually more relevant, which i take as intentionally being obtuse.

Its either that or you dont even get it... So you are either making an argument from absurdity or from ignorance.

In any case, useless in this discussion.

Topic is, as i said from the start, considering only some minimalistic additions that could be doable, that would reflect stats and mechanics instead of being there just for show, designed in a way fitting for the poV and style of the game. Not just any animation - which lead to all those pointless strawman arguments against "tonns of complex animations"  and similar, that are just invented, imagined.

Edited by Surface Reflection

@illithid

Im no sure why you think your opinion on that has any merrit or relevance.

And you keep repeating yourself as if that will make your opinion actually more relevant, which i take as intentionally being obtuse.

Its either that or you dont even get it... So you are either making an argument from absurdity or from ignorance.

In any case, useless in this discussion.

Topic is, as i said from the start, considering only some minimalistic additions that could be doable, that would reflect stats and mechanics instead of being there just for show, designed in a way fitting for the poV and style of the game. Not just any animation - which lead to all those pointless strawman arguments against "tonns of complex animations"  and similar, that are just invented, imagined.

My opinion on this issue has exactly as much merit and relevance as your own. You say you want feature X for reason Y. I'm saying I don't want feature X for reason Z.

I understand exactly what it is you'd like to have added to the game. I disagree, and I don't want it. I've explained why it is that I don't want it and you preceded to call me obtuse and ignorant. That is very rude, and I would still like an apology. 

-Josh Sawyer

I started pruning this thread and realised I probably have to start deleting a lot and editing just as many posts...

Lets see if it's possible to keep a thread alive. Which means, time to knock off the personal stuff and insults, open and implied alike.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How about deleting about a page of continous repeating of proclamations that the animations i suggest are somehow "complex" (despite blatant explanations to the contrary) and even claiming they are complex because thats like his opinion? - As a way to excuse a strawman argument that "there would be a tonn of complex animations" needed?

How about that?

I started pruning this thread and realised I probably have to start deleting a lot and editing just as many posts...

Lets see if it's possible to keep a thread alive. Which means, time to knock off the personal stuff and insults, open and implied alike.

Aw, I was enjoying this :p But don't you guys have some kind of punishment for repeated personal insults from overly aggressive posters? I'd want to strongly discourage that kind of behavior in the first place, for the sake of the forum climate if not to reduce the amount of moderation necessary.

How about deleting about a page of continous repeating of proclamations that the animations i suggest are somehow "complex" (despite blatant explanations to the contrary) and even claiming they are complex because thats like his opinion? - As a way to excuse a strawman argument that "there would be a tonn of complex animations" needed?

How about that?

You do understand that illathid is saying that he(?) would dislike more complex animations than the current ones, right? "Dislike" and "more" are the key words here. He is not saying that the animations you suggest are complex in some definitive way. If you for whatever semantic reason don't like the use of the word 'complex' you can replace it with whatever term or formulation you prefer.

• Like 4

Yes, he is very simplistic. You are obviously not capable of seeing the obvious. and that is that his opinion about it, as several just like it before are not really the topic of the discussion since this is not a voting thread. Therefore his opinion is noted and disregarded as irrelavant. And repeating it like a psychiotic bascetcase doesnt make it any more relevant or on topic.

Just like this post of yours is basically repeating the same thing, because it seems your mind is malfunctioning.

Youre also trying to falsely represent what someone else was saying without any proof of it, just declaring its so because it would make you feel better. I.E you are mindless.

Here is the actual quote:

Having a ton of complex animations would turn PoE from a RPG I want to play, into one I don't... of which there are already many

And who gives a **** what he wants anyway?

So your post is reported as off topic, which it is, except being pointless, and quite dumb. Hopefully it will be deleted, otherwise this thread will continue to be filled up by ludicrous and laughable strawman deranged posts by local bascetcases, which will serve as a tastament of this "community" inteligence, wit and ability to think critically, based on those few cases. :lol:

Edited by Surface Reflection