Level up gui suggestion

mrmonocle

gripes3.jpg

I'd seriously consider revising OE relationships with their current gui designer(s).

• Like 2

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Yes, the talents list is currently the cancer it was in the Neverwinter Nights games. Please give us a grid, and if there's at least SOME form of sorting, it'd be so very helpful. Even the IE games did it better.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

This looks cool. I may be proven wrong, but it seems to me that the people who designed this UI haven't spent much time playing the game. Either that or this is some temporary solution on the programmers' part until the actual designers are ready with their concepts for the UI layouts. Only the main HUD seems to be in a finished state, from all the UI elements I've seen. This has inspired me for a pastime activity of coming up with my own versions of the UI and showing them on the forum.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Since there are so many talents/traits/skills I can see how its hard for Obsidian to find an optimal design for how to present them without them being overwhelming. One of the big separations should be Passive vs Active vs Modal since even if some tallents have been named as Passive there is still some confusion as to the Active and Modal ones.

Drop down menus could be a good anti-overwhelming solution but then it would feel weird when you can only choose one of them per menu, same with tabs.

Icons instead of words might also be good for compression but it may also be a drain on art assets and it would get REALLY confusing when trying to search for something specific and making each level up a search bore.

Placing them in categories like "Weapon Skills", "Offensive Abilities", "Offensive Passives" "Offensive Modals", "Skill-related" etc may be a step in the right direction and its sorta already like that in places only not quite there yet.

I personally prefer taking modals (should they stack with each other) and passives as oposed to actives (unless its a really good/interesting active) simply because combat is complex enough already without me having to consider even more abilities and I am much more in favor of making my character´s existing abilities stronger as oposed to getting more of them. (which is why Im kinda miffed that Barbaric Blow wasnt a modifier for the Barbarian´s autoattack/passive carnage though I can see how that could be considered OP).

EDIT: Oh and I disagree with mrmonocle´s design simply because of the icon reason I mentioned above and sideways scrolling would feel awful and tedious as well as the color addition of red scrolbars on top of the stone panel makes my eyes bleed.

Edited by Fiebras

Modals don't stack with each other though.

Since they didn't tell us the actual values of what anything does, it's hard to evaluate the actual usefulness of Talents. For instance, what if the benefit you got was crap, or another similar talent was way better?

I honestly don't know how anyone can make a worthwhile evaluation of most of the Talents without actually knowing what they do.

None of the added modals seem any good to me. The only one that kind of seems okay is Cautious Attack, which is probably better than the Fighter's Defender Mode,actually, as it gives +15 Deflection (Defender gives +5) and reduces the same amount of Action Speed. Who honestly cares about the Engagement stuff. Enemies don't disengage so as long as you can trick them into attacking you by using smart positioning before combat begins - it's useless.

Edited by Sensuki

Fighter gets a talent that increases all his defenses while in Defender Mode. I would assume its better than Cautious Attack, if not it should be. A defensive class´s 1 modal + 1 passive to improve the modal should be better than a modal that can be gotten by anyone. The skill/trait points are already scarce enough as they are.

It would be okay if some modals stacked with each other or if you could get a trait that allowed you to stack modals (either all of them or a number of them). You could have a Minor Modal and a Mayor Modal too.

Edited by Fiebras

Cautious Attack is by default better than Fighter Defender. I haven't checked the Fighter passive that improves Defender yet I don't think? But I'm pretty sure it will just grant +10 Deflection in that mode.

Melee Engagement makes the AI really bad because they design the AI around it. Targets don't disengage once they engage you or you engage them. It becomes stand still, auto attack and press buttons combat which is freaking boring as compared to the majority of the IE games combat.

Edited by Sensuki