Second impressions thread! [Build 278 version]

Tartantyco

The combat lacks dynamism simply because it takes so long to bring down a target, even if you're doing it mostly right.

Very true and your suggestions are great.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

A great moment in the demo:

2.  (murder someone) [rational - minor]

What's funny is that it *is* a rational (if cold blooded) decision.  If it comes up in the game and we have the same choices, I'll have a hard time deciding what to do.  I find the dilemma quite interesting.  The whole area is weird.  Kind of makes you feel like taking a shower after you've cleared it.  Well done, though.  Of course, now I have to return the game where I have a feeling I'm going get my ass kicked.  :Cant's eying the bad guys warily icon:

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The game is much easier on the eyes now, with the characters and mobs much easier to see.  It's quite pretty now, imo. 

Combat seems a bit crisper, but that may just be me getting used to it at this point.  It still seems too hard, with what seem like yard-trash fights taking a long time to get through and leaving my guys with very low health.  But, I'm a sissy when it comes to RPG combat.  

What's funny is that it *is* a rational (if cold blooded) decision.  If it comes up in the game and we have the same choices, I'll have a hard time deciding what to do.  I find the dilemma quite interesting.  The whole area is weird.  Kind of makes you feel like taking a shower after you've cleared it.  Well done, though.  Of course, now I have to return the game where I have a feeling I'm going get my ass kicked.  :Cant's eying the bad guys warily icon:

At first I found the area and the character of Wymund pretty silly. "An entire temple full of cultists rigth under a small village? And no one knows anything? That is silly! How do they even feed themselves?" "Why does he care about the noble? Why is he experimenting on people? That is sily!"

But then It dawned on me that everything made perfect sense.

The temple people have Trygil to get everything for them and keep people away from the temple entrance complete with stinky leather shop no one wants to enter.

They have the wilderness exit to forage, hunt and smuggle in supplies and people and they do venture outside of the temple as the corpse in the ogre cave showed.

Skaen of course has his own temples and they would be in a hidden place due to the very nature of Skaen.

Skaen being all "fight the MAN!" would have followers that would always want to undermine authority or people in priviledged positions. And since skaen shows disfavor to people who rise above their status, the head priests would be actively trying to disrupt nobles and such as much as possible as thats they are already in an "in charge" position.

Also, what better place to build a temple for skaen than in the very ruins of a former noble´s castle inhabited by the people that overthrew her?

I quite like attention to detail like this.

Though I hope we see some skaen devouts that arent all presented as "chaotic/nerutral evil" (aka the mordor effect) and dont attack you on sight (though the temple thing is also justified as its supposed to be a secret place you just barged into without wearing the uniform) or are meant to be your enemies.

• Like 1

I have not seen anyone comment if they find leveling in beta too fast?

In IE games at levels 5 and above with full party leveling slowed down noticeably.

If we get from 5 to 8 in few hours the full game is going to be kind of short.

If someone with access to beta agrees with this can you start a new thread about it? (I would if I had access to beta)

Edited by archangel979

I have not seen anyone comment if they find leveling in beta too fast?

That's because it's pretty obviously intentional. They want you test all those levels.

is it? Do you have a quote?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/957143

The quests available in the Backer Beta have an artificially-inflated amount of experience points associated with them to ensure you can advance from 5th to 8th level assuming you do everything offered. We want you to advance your characters significantly within the Backer Beta so you get a sense of how the different classes change from level to level.
Edited by Infinitron

Ok tnx. That puts one of my fears to rest :D

but that means BB content will be harder in full version due to lower level.

Not if you arrive there at a higher level than you are in the BB. Or, the areas may be adjusted to a lower difficulty.

• Like 1

Ok tnx. That puts one of my fears to rest :D

but that means BB content will be harder in full version due to lower level.

I think they'll be easier, you'll be using a party of characters you shaped to the way you play, you'll have a full set of decent equipment with a range of options for each fighter, and you'll be more familiar with how to use your skills and abilities and how they all interact with the skills and abilities of the rest of your party. Those things combined will make the combat a lot easier I'd think.

Laugh. Out.  Loud.  I got to the end of the dungeon with the crystal eater spider dungeon.  I had my rogue scout up and saw that it was full of spiders and another bad guy.  So, seeing a room full of bad guys who were clearly belligerent, I had my PC cast wall of fire, my priest put down a glyph, and my bb mage throw out a fireball.  That wall of fire is pretty damned awesome.  If you know a fights coming and have time to throw that down, it seriously puts the smack on baddies.  Literally *one* spider got into melee range, and it was quickly slapped around by my melee guys while my casters enjoyed a Miller Time in the back.  It's funny, because I'll sometimes get people knocked out for silly mistakes, but the game seems pretty forgiving right now on normal.  I have a feeling I would have had several full party wipes on hard with some of the dumbass or lazy mistakes I made this run.  I have a feeling Path of the Damned will be absolutely brutal, but I'm sure they'll fix up combat before I play that, since it won't be until after they're done.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The combat isnt exceptionally difficult atm outside dealing with DOTs (Deep Wounds, Widowmaker Poison, Wood Beetle Poison). Challenging yes, which is good.

My impression is that parties of humanoid oponents will be the more interesting fights due to the different abilities you have to face, but wildlife encounters dont fall behind (beetle and spider variety) which is very refreshing to see.

The amount of variety in encounters in Dyford Crossing pleases me greatly.

I'm impressed with the amount of variety in abilities.  I mean, some of them can be frustrating, but most of that is balancing, so I'm not really worried.  My complaint about combats devolving into dog piles doesn't apply as much any more.  Maybe it's because I'm in dungeons with natural choke points?  ...And I think I've made mistakes that I've instinctively blamed on the game but eventually see as errors on my own part.

Obsidian Plays