Character Art Issue List

Sensuki

Question

I've been PMing these directly to Dimitri Berman but I was informed that he is out of town at present, so I thought I'd pop these here.

Arbalests, Crossbows and Hunting Bows (at least, haven't tried the others yet) are all set as 1H weapons for the purposes of sitting on the character model's back. They should be in the 2H slot (middle of the back) like the Greatsword / Estoc is

The Arbalest is also clipping into the Plate mail in this picture:

Secondary_weapons.jpg

Weapons in the character's off hand on both male and female models are clipping into their body during the idle animation:

In the character gen I spotted this happening for

Bows - also not gripping the bow properly

DIMITRI111.jpg

Daggers

DAGGER_CLIP.jpg

Spears - which also clip into each other

spear_clip.jpg

(This is probably an issues for the animators, it would be nice if you guys had a system where weapon models couldn't clip through things but rather stopped against a solid object)

Female Hair models 7, 8, 9 and 10 clip through various armors

Hair 10 on Aumaua wearing Brigandine:

also on this model the leg leather clips into the boots on both legs

Aumaua_hair_10.jpg

Female chain brown sleeve doesn't come all the way round like on the male version

Chain_texture.jpg

Female Hair Model #9 has some loose hair pixels that appear to be clipping into the face at the middle front of the hair into the forehead on Female Elves

Elf_head_1_hair.jpg

Hair model #10 clipping through the scale armor (7, 8 and 9 clip through many armor models, most noticeably leather)

hair_scale_clip.jpg

hari_10.jpg

Arms clipping into the back of the scale like the male armor version (probably best to check all models)

Scale_clip.jpg

Female stock Brigandine has a similar issue as the male version, uses unrealistically large rings (but no leather underneath), probably should change to actual chain texture or something:

rings.jpg

Miscellaneous Issues:

Male humans have 5 available heads, female humans only have 3 - all other races have even number of heads

Female Aumaua head #2 could be prettier (eyelashes are also too thick)

Female Dwarf Head #1 looks better than 2 & 3 - has more texture work, more 'real' facial expression

2 looks very pug faced, eyebrows funny shape

3 looks blank faced

Not sure about the female elf eyelash width - too wide?

All female elf models could look more appealing IMO

Male Facial Hair 2/5 is positioned unnaturally high on the face for Human Males, it should be lower all the way around - closer to the jawline

Looks okay on Dwarf males though

facial_5.jpg

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

10 answers to this question

The clipping is one thing but I don't know about the comments regarding characters' beauty. A little diversity is nice; just because you don't like thick eyebrows on women doesn't mean that someone else won't find it beautiful. And even if there was a universal standard of beauty I don't think that it would then follow that all the pc models should be as beautiful as possible.

Edited by MasterPrudent

The eyebrows on Elves are too *wide* not thick. The reason they look bad is because they're only about two pixels high and when the character moves, the eyebrows 'alias', like moving pixels - it doesn't look very good.

Also by appealing, I mean that the actual model itself has not had enough work done on it - it looks less finished, and thus is a less appealing choice than the one that has had more work/effort put into the model to make it look good.

This is the reason I've been sending the critiques directly do the CA rather than posting because people often take such comments the wrong way.

It has absolutely freaking nothing to do with my preference of how women look, it is a critique of the quality of the art alone.

Edited by Sensuki

Female Aumaua head #2 could be prettier (eyelashes are also too thick)

Sorry for misinterpreting but I think it's easy to see why I made the mistake. (Quality of art wise I think the thick eyebrows on the Aumaua model are to make them stand out clearly from the surrounding warpaint.)

Edited by MasterPrudent

Yeah like I said, I PM'd this directly to the Character Artist, but he's away so I thought I'd post it here so one of the other devs caught it. It was cool to see him implement some of the suggestions I made for female armor proportions on humans :)

I said eyelashes too, not eyebrows, unless that's what you meant

Edited by Sensuki