Why does enchanting use gold?

mrmonocle

Is this a mmo rpg we have here? I mean, how does it happen? You load the money along with the ingridients into some kind of enchater's apparatus? And what happens if you put not 21000 but 20999? Or 21001?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Does a single player game really benefit from a money dump?  When I think of enchanting, I imagine it either being easy enough to apply to most items or rare and costly enough to only apply to the really good items.  And since the enchanting will be limited by the number of components, I imagine it'll be something to you only do with the 'good' loot.  With the most likely exception  being a 'okay' item that you can't manage to replace and anticipate having to keep a hold of for a while.

Does a single player game really benefit from a money dump?  When I think of enchanting, I imagine it either being easy enough to apply to most items or rare and costly enough to only apply to the really good items.  And since the enchanting will be limited by the number of components, I imagine it'll be something to you only do with the 'good' loot.  With the most likely exception  being a 'okay' item that you can't manage to replace and anticipate having to keep a hold of for a while.

Yes single player games greatly benefit from money dumps. It is an incredibly common annoyance and complaint from players when they are walking around with the treasury of an entire kingdom and nothing to spend it on. It usually eliminates an entire aspect of the games reward system (loot).

You are right that the usefulness of enchanting will be greatly influenced by how often we upgrade our equipment.

As for the OP. From a game design perspective it is a money dump/resource cost. In universe justification is probably a bunch of miscellaneous expensive reagents.

Edited by Shdy314

Is this a mmo rpg we have here? I mean, how does it happen? You load the money along with the ingridients into some kind of enchater's apparatus? And what happens if you put not 21000 but 20999? Or 21001?

You realize this is also how it works in D&D right? At least RAW for crafting in 3rd, 4th and 5th edition. Yes it's an abstraction for buying the materials or crafting assistance somewhere, but that's pretty much what it is here too.