mmmm which system to use

Ok, i have an idea that i want to do. I had this idea this morning about being in the 1800s and players encountering mr hyde, springheeled jack, invisible man, etc and trying to trail jack the ripper and have it all tied together with science and occult and the Old god Yog-Sothoth. Maybe throw in some insanity checks or whatnot.

Problem is i only know pathfinder and d&d. Im not at all familiar with other systems so i am asking for advice on what would be a good system to use? Ive always loved the old stories and movies of heros that were ordinary people and through knowledge and luck and creativity won against the bbeg that was clearly more powerful than them (dunwich horror, brans strokers dracula, etc etc). Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe SAVAGE WORLDS, mixing the REALMS OF CTHULHU rules (from Reality Blurs) with Pinnacle's own RIPPERS line?

I've not played the Savage World stuff (do like Deadlands in earlier versions, just have picked up the SW version) but know some fans who swear by it, and I think that may be the easiest way to approximate what you want (Call of Cthulhu would require some adjustments to fit in the Victorian lit characters, I think)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Cthulu by Gaslight or Castle Falkenstein perhaps?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Tyvm. I heard CoC has some victorian stuff in it after reading some after yals post but i need to find which version. But then again reading it it seems like CoC is about killing ur players and while i dont fudge rolls or hold back, i want a chance for the story to be told. Ill check out more about it and savage worlds and ripper and frankenstein. Thanks yal.

Not to be pedantic Mr Devil but it's Castle Falkenstein by M. Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk,) not Frankenstein, as in Rock of the Hawk from what I remember of the teutonic tongue. The Cthulu by Gaslight sourcebook sounds far more appropriate than Mr Pondsmith's system however. All the best.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I like CoC, I think its a good system (never played it, only read the rules).

Since you have the D20 version, you could probably find a D20 victorian period set (or look at the D20 OGL modern rules) and cobble together what you need to represent all the pieces you want.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...