Hoops 13-14

Leferd

At the time as an outside observer looking in, I actually found the whole Hollins vs Hollinger situation both predictable and hilarious. And to be honest I took some enjoyment out of it. I was at a game a few years ago where the Warriors blew a 20+ point lead in the fourth to the Grizzlies, and have hated them since. Lols.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Kevin Durant followed up his blazing hot 54 point night with a crazy efficient stat sheet filling performance in a win over the Sacramento Kings.  In just 32 minutes of play Durant scored 30 on 10 of 15 shooting and added 6 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 blocks, and 4 steals, raising his PER to an unearthly 30.54.  KD is in some kind of ridiculous zone right now.  Either that, or he's an alien.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nope. It's already established and published that Stephen Curry is the alien: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warriors/2013/10/30/stephen-curry-alien-three-pointers-record-golden-state/3307171/

Charts and graphs to prove it.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

He definitely has the genes of a shooter.

I do love that not only is he making a sweet percentage, he's also jacking up a ton of them as well haha.

I have always been a fan of his shooting stroke, and he's quickly moving up my list of favourite players (Nash is my favourite, although getting old.  Durant is the heir apparent.  I told him that the other day and I think it put him at ease and let him shoot so efficiently).

I don't follow the sport nearly as close as I did in the 90s, but I'll peek in from time to time.  I watched a ton of "Open Court" with the Turner Sports crew this weekend and enjoyed a lot of their segments.

• Like 1

Nope. It's already established and published that Stephen Curry is the alien: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warriors/2013/10/30/stephen-curry-alien-three-pointers-record-golden-state/3307171/

Charts and graphs to prove it.

They might both be aliens.  Here are Goldsberry's shots charts for both of them from last season (I don't know if he has ones for this season yet).

Curry:

grant_r_stephencurry_shotscore_115211.jp

Insanely good 3 point shooter, a bit weak near the basket.

Durant:

grant_r_kevindurant_shotscore_115211.jpg

Above average from literally every spot on the court.

And let's face it, LeBron is an alien also:

grant_r_lebron_shotchart_115211.jpg

Insanely good near the basket, above average 3s, a little weak mid range from the wings.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love the Simmons/Lowe/Goldsberry triumvirate on Grantland. Must read for any serious basketball fan.

Plus anytime Simmons and Jalen Rose get together to shoot some videos is pure gold.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

Not too surprisingly that the more diminutive Curry is below average near the hoop haha.  Unless he's getting an uncontested layup, it's almost undoubtedly a VERY contested shot.  Whereas both Lebron and Kevin have significant physical advantages.

Not too surprisingly that the more diminutive Curry is below average near the hoop haha.  Unless he's getting an uncontested layup, it's almost undoubtedly a VERY contested shot.  Whereas both Lebron and Kevin have significant physical advantages.

That's definitely true.  You expect forwards to be much better in the paint than guards.

My favorite thing about Durant's shot chart is that you notice he doesn't take the corner 3s.  That's because that's one of his weakest shots (and by weakest I mean he's only about average at the corner 3), but he's smart enough to recognize that and simply not shoot from those spots.  Now if only Josh Smith could stop taking the shots he's not good at:

Josh%2BSmith%2Bshot%2Bchart.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That's precisely why I was shaking my head when Detroit acquired him. How do you run an offense when in your core 5, you have three front court players: Monroe, Drummond, and Smith who can only score near the paint and two chuckers (Jennings and Stuckey) in the backcourt??

I don't think there is a star-level player who has to rely more on guile, craftiness, and pure basketball skill to dominate than Curry. Accounting for and with all due respect to (healthy) CP3 and (healthy) Steve Nash.

I think the comparisons to Nash Prime are pretty good. I think Steph is actually a better shooter, though Nash's peak still had stronger vision and overall court awareness, IMO.

Pretty close to my thoughts. Both have similar skill sets but with different focus. Nash is the better athlete and focuses on being a distributor while Curry has slightly better hand eye coordination and of course, is a scorer.

Don Nelson, who coached both, instantly compared Curry to Nash upon drafting him. Everyone thought Nellie was being Nellie. Nellie also said that Nash was the best player he ever coached. And he coached a lot of Hall of Famers.

Edited by Leferd

It's funny because in Dallas Nash was a solid player, but he just hit an extra gear when in Phoenix.  I'm sure he had his number called more frequently than in Dallas which didn't hurt, but yeah he really made a statement when he returned to Phoenix.

Nellie thought that Nash deferred to Nowitzki too much and was begging Nash to shoot more. When Cuban refused to match Phoenix's offersheet to Nash, both Nellie and Nash were heartbroken, and in Nellie's case, he lost his passion for coaching.

When the Warriors drafted curry, Nelson gave Curry the keys to the team and tried to mold him into the Nash he wanted Nash to be.

Nellie thought that Nash deferred to Nowitzki too much and was begging Nash to shoot more. When Cuban refused to match Phoenix's offersheet to Nash, both Nellie and Nash were heartbroken, and in Nellie's case, he lost his passion for coaching.

When the Warriors drafted curry, Nelson gave Curry the keys to the team and tried to mold him into the Nash he wanted Nash to be.

Interesting.  Nash's explosion in Phoenix is what brought me back into the game, so I didn't really know about any of this.

Interesting that is sapped Nellie's desire to coach!

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I agree that it's an outrage that he didn't win the third MVP.

I do think there's kind of a conspiracy to vote against the incumbent after a while. Even Michael wasn't able to pull that off, though I'd argue he deserved it in '92-'93.