Hoops 13-14

Leferd

Curry entering this year was second all time in 3pt fg% behind only Steve Kerr. Kerr of course, had the benefit during his peak with the Bulls, of a shorter three point arc. Curry' percentages were historic in the sense that not only was he shooting at such an accurate clip, but also accounting for his volume was unprecedented. Then you also have to factor in the sheer difficulty of his shots. He's not a spot up corner three shooter; he takes his shots in transition, off the dribble, and with elite perimeter defenders in his face from 28 feet out.

So his dip to 40% makes him a mere mortal this year. Granted, it's still a better percentage than your typical volume shooter, but still...he's getting into that "chucker" gray area.

RE: Lee's defense. Lee has always been a poor defender. He's actually pretty mediocre as a man defender, but elite 4's and 5's have a feasting mentality when they get matched up with him. The problem with Lee though is that he's a very poor help defender with slow lateral movement. He doesn't intimidate or scare off drives to the paint area and he's a non-shot blocker. That's just from the eye test. When you look at the metrics..it's even worst. Prof. Kirk Goldsberry (who also moonlights as a ball writer on Grantland) stole the show at last year's Sloan Conference at MIT when he presented a seminar on defensive metrics. His whipping boy was David Lee (who was rated in the bottom three for bigs). To his credit, Lee is much better this year (though still below average), but that's because he has a fully healthy Bogut watching his back and Andre Iguoudala out on the perimeter.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-david-lees-interior-defense-a-k-a-the-golden-gate/

Don't get me wrong, I love D-Lee's game and he is an elite offensive player and strong rebounder, but the knock on his defense is legitimate.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Curry entering this year was second all time in 3pt fg% behind only Steve Kerr. Kerr of course, had the benefit during his peak with the Bulls, of a shorter three point arc.

Kerr still had the best percentage all time after 92-93, so it's not like the shorter line for two seasons was a significant issue IMO (though it did let him post some 50%+ seasons). Kerr's biggest advantage is that he was a role player who didn't have the ball in his hands much, so he typically had time to set and shoot. Agreed wholeheartedly that Curry's shots tend to be more covered, and that the volume is impressive.

Sharpshooting smalls like Kerr (and BJ Armstrong and John Paxson) were absolutely perfect for the Triangle offense. Jordan covered or double teamed? Just swing the ball over for a wide three from Kerr. A shame that the Lakers really didn't have anyone better than Fisher in that same role for all those years.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Curry game winner against the Heat. Count it in the books. Then Lebron takes a step back, fadeaway three in Iguoudala's face with .02 seconds left. All praise the mighty Volo.

• Like 1

That was a pretty awesome finish.  The Dubs are in a bit of a free fall, the last game not withstanding since losing to the champs is no shame.  They have a fight on their hands just to get into the playoffs at all.  I hope they get their **** together after the break, since they're an entertaining team and I'd like to see them in the playoffs.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Lebron is a potential free agent after this year. Maybe the Heat should cut their losses and trade him to the Warriors. Maybe for David Lee and some scrubs to make the contracts match up. Yep they really should.

Nash has always been overrated. 2 time MVP. That's disgusting,

Hilarious that he gets away with being injury prone, and never winner just because he is a 'nice white Kanadan boy' who plays with the big bad Amerikan men in the NBA and does better than average. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That statement has absolutely no bearing on the reality of just how good Steve Nash was.

Nor a reflection of what people say about him. The only people harping on him for being a good Canadian kid are people like Don Cherry.

It floored me to see that Steve was 1% point off from being the only player to ever do 50-40-90 over his entire career.

"That statement has absolutely no bearing on the reality of just how good Steve Nash was. "

Good not great.

And, Don Cherry is a hateful bigot. Just sayin'.          

Slightly OT but the best game of the day will be Florida @ Kentucky tonight.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just can't get into All Star Games, not in any sport.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just can't get into All Star Games, not in any sport.

Me neither.  I haven't watched any all star game in probably a decade, if not more.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I rarely watch all star games but I usually enjoy the skills competition -home run derby, 3pt shoutout, slam dunk, slap shot, marksmanship etc.

The slam dunk stuff this year was pretty lame though. Team competition??? Bah!

• Like 1

It's really telling that when Durant and OKC gets the better of James and MIA, this board is full of the basketball fans trashing James and proclaiming Durant the 'new king' and how crappy James is and how he doesn't deserve another MVP and how OKC and IND are better. Yet, when James returns the favor and completely embarrasses Durant it's only crickets heard. Embarassed that your Chosen One was embarrassed so horridly? On top of that, OKC gets so frustrated that they try to murder James because they can't compete. DISGUSTING.

KING JAMES > ALL

Edited by Volourn