Timeshare help

alanschu

So I learned today that my Dad was a maroon and acquired a Timeshare a few years back.  I'm currently doing some reading up on timeshares in general to figure out how the eff one can clean it up.

I don't know the full details at this moment (I just heard having a dinner with my Mom, and my Dad was out).  I'll see if I can get more information tomorrow, but I am curious if anyone has any insights on it.

I'm sure there is more information than I know of, but all I know right now is that they are on the hook for some sort of "maintenance fee."  I'll need to learn about what other types of costs they may have at this moment.  I heard my Dad contacted someone to help sell it, but my limited reading indicates that this sort of crap is usually a giant ripoff.  So I'm going to have to phone him up tomorrow and get the rest of the details.

General gist I have read up on seems to be that using some sort of agency to help you get out of it is a huge waste of money.

They've had it for like 2-3 years or so now, so any rescission period would have long since expired.  So between having to go smack my Dad upside the head, I figured I'd ask some reputable individuals with a decent amount of OCD that would be willing to help me find information.

Cheers!

Allan

Sorry Allan, not much help there :(

It was a very popular scam in Denmark back in the 80'es, with classified ads sections being full of timeshare offers and imaginary benefits, from large ROI's to tax breaks. It was even more widespread than pyramid scams. Eventually, it got enough media coverage and the information ousted the mis-information and it more or less died out as people realised what it was.

I hope you guys find a way out of it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know a few people that enjoy their timeshares quite a bit, but there are a ton of different types.  Do you have any decent social service places in Canada?  Your parents are probably old enough to get some pro-bono legal help, but I have no idea how that works in your country.

Sorry Allan, not much help there :(

It was a very popular scam in Denmark back in the 80'es, with classified ads sections being full of timeshare offers and imaginary benefits, from large ROI's to tax breaks. It was even more widespread than pyramid scams. Eventually, it got enough media coverage and the information ousted the mis-information and it more or less died out as people realised what it was.

I hope you guys find a way out of it.

Yeah, by the sounds of it he was hoodwinked into thinking it was a good investment.

A page of Epic Fail, but that's in the past and now we just have to deal with it.

Sorry. I can't get over wondering what a "maroon" is.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There should be a law, where either you have to be under 50 years of age to buy a timeshare, or you have to get your kids permission.

That way someone can remind them that they are a scam - or that they are wealthy enough that they can actually enjoy them.

Sorry, dude. Hopefully you and your folks can get this all straightened out with minimal loss at worst.

My brother, sister and I've had to start keeping an eye on my parents now. A month or so ago, my mom opened up an email from her friend that only contained some random link. She went there for whatever reason, and I spent two days cleaning out her laptop making sure I got rid of all of the spy/adware and other viruses because I couldn't just reformat the whole thing because she lost her disc. I only found out about it then after someone hacked into my email account, and I warned her not to open anything from me. Email rule number 1. I know she used to know better.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

You can plug the timeshare gap, but the victims and the threat will just turn up elsewhere. Not wanting to sound harsh. I just mean you can't expect a static defence to work.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.