So here's a question: are Kickstarter donations (specifically those towards Project Eternity) tax deductible?  Curious, curious.  Info here claims...

"Some pledges are tax deductible: if the project creator is a 501c3 that is registered as such with Amazon Payments, pledges would be deductible. It’s up to each eligible project to handle."

Soooo... any ideas?

for a minute I thought someone was considering taxation within PE. I... may have screamed a little. Taxation hits Libertarians like blessed crossbow bolts hit Rakshasa.

Edited by TheTeaMustFlow

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

for a minute I thought someone was considering taxation within PE. I... may have screamed a little. Taxation hits Libertarians like blessed crossbow bolts hit Rakshasa.

It would be fun to see a tax collector standing next to a dungeon entrance, claiming 25% of all the loot from adventurers for the government. Then the Church (or whatever temples are called in PE) claims 10% more, 20% go to pay off Raiding Inc. sponsorship, another 5% for the adventurer trade union, 50% customs fee for epic items...

To make a long story short the adventurers simply need to give away all their stuff and also transfer a small amount of gold from their bank account to pay the remaining debt.

Edited by Heresiarch

But look at the bright side, you can mug the tax collector and take all that hard-earned adventurer money for yourself. Most likely people would even feel that you did the right thing, netting you positive karma. Tax collectors were never a popular bunch.

But look at the bright side, you can mug the tax collector and take all that hard-earned adventurer money for yourself. Most likely people would even feel that you did the right thing, netting you positive karma. Tax collectors were never a popular bunch.

We might have stumbled upon something here...

So here's a question: are Kickstarter donations (specifically those towards Project Eternity) tax deductible?  Curious, curious.  Info here claims...

"Some pledges are tax deductible: if the project creator is a 501c3 that is registered as such with Amazon Payments, pledges would be deductible. It’s up to each eligible project to handle."

Soooo... any ideas?

No, kickstarter is not a charitable organization, it's a middle-man/go-between. Infrastructure. Obsidian is a for-profit private company. You are not engaging in charity. You essentially made an advance pre-payment (if you donated,) for a good or service you will receive in the future. That is not charity by any reasonably definition. Edited by AGX-17

actually, it can be considered a donation. Any rewards, though they are tied to how much you contribute, are not 'purchases' in the usual sense of the word. For example "I pay you three dollars to buy a carton of milk at the grocery store." "I give you a donation of 20 dollars to fund your game, and as thanks for my donation I get a reward tier that gives me a copy of your indy game." It's more like an exchange of gifts than a purchase. Is it semantics? I dunno. The line IS pretty fine. But neither Kickstarter nor Obsidian are charitable institutions, so it doesn't really matter.

"Are those people following you around dependents? No? Wait, you don't have a house? You have a STRONGHOLD?!

... I'm gonna need to see a permit, and I hope you kept all your receipts."

New class: Auditor!

It's like a Chanter, but with unintelligible lines of tax code and jargon instead of song-like words and phrases. 8P

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"Are those people following you around dependents? No? Wait, you don't have a house? You have a STRONGHOLD?!

... I'm gonna need to see a permit, and I hope you kept all your receipts."

New class: Auditor!

It's like a Chanter, but with unintelligible lines of tax code and jargon instead of song-like words and phrases. 8P

It Burns! IIIIIT BUUUUURNS!!!

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.