I'm not sure if this subject has been talked about yet on the forums (or if this should go in Engine and Technology section) as I am quite new, but I wonder about the following:

What would like/or not like to see in the game interface of Project Eternity? Also, do you have any critics about the interfaces of the old Infinity Engine games?

Personally, I've been replaying Baldur's Gate 2 recently, and I'm finding that the interface was pretty well done, even if it may take many clicks on certain occasions to access an item or spell. In order to speed up my gameplay, I have been trying to use the hotkeys implemented in the game to select party members, items, spells, and whatnot. I'm also finding that I'd love to rebind certain hotkeys to make it easier for my left hand (e.g.: hitting ` intead of = to select the entire party group).

So for Project Eternity, how about having the option to rebind hotkeys in order to access inventory, character profile, party formations, and all the stuff I just mentioned as well?

Obviously, if you have any other points about your ideal game interface, I'd be happy to hear.

Yes! I know! Annoying Pet Human!

I GO FOR THE EYES!

I was reasonably satisfied with the interface in NWN2.  If it doesn't drift too far from that, then I'll be pleased.  Great rule for interfaces: KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

From Project Eternity Update #36: Off to our elfhomes, but first...

"UI Design - Tim and I have been talking about our user interfaces recently. We want to make sure that we improve the functionality of the original designs without completely losing the feeling of those interfaces. One thing we want to avoid is making the UI too "minimalist". We don't want it to feel bloated, of course, but we also recognize that the IE games had "solid" interfaces. They looked like they were made of materials -- wood, stone, and metal -- and had substance to them. When you look at the interfaces for the IE games, they help immerse you in each setting. We'd like to do the same for Project Eternity."

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

One thing I noticed, in the realm of UI design, is the UI in Dead Space 3 (and really the other 2 games as well.) I never really thought about it, but there's pretty much no screen-plane UI at all. At first glance, it's almost as if there simply is no UI. But, then, you realize "Wait... I've known how much ammo I had this whole time, and how much health, and stasis energy...", and you realize it's all actually part of the game world. Isaac's RIG (I don't remember what that stands for, but it's a futuristic-y suit interface thingy) displays his health down his spine, his stasis energy on the back of his right shoulder, his inventory/map/text logs/incoming transmissions on a holographic projection about 3 feet in front of him (no matter which way you turn him or turn the camera), and his ammo and weapon selection beside immediately beside the weapon whenever you aim (and in front of him when you switch weapons, for a few seconds.)

I know it's a 3rd-person action shooter, so I'm not saying "Give the P:E characters RIGs with futuristic holographic projections!" or anything, haha. But, IN the context of that game, it's just so... elegant?

So, while I know they don't want to go "too minimalist," I hope they can achieve some sort of elegance like that with an isometric RPG interface. I've always loved truly clever interface implementations. 8P. It's like art and functionality had a baby, and that baby was Interface.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

IE games interface was pretty solid, it could have used a larger bar for spells and speeding up pre-buffing time somehow, but that's it. However, IE was also minimalist when it came to character abitilies. Warriors having one simple attack was only changed in IWD2. Rogue abilities were set in stone. Only spellcasters required a lot of control.

In IWD2, it became obvious that IE interface could not support each and every class having load of abilities. To do something as simple as making warrior use power attack, you had to go into special screen, scroll through +1, +2, +3... ...+whatever power attack icons and finally pick one. Same for bard spells.

So I'm wondering what they are going to do with it.

I REALLY want to see interface implementing unique class features in it naturally instead of souless and bland WoW'esque drag-n-dropable icons. Maybe there would be a large something in the center that would change depending on what class you selected? Like a tome for wizards, or stealth gem for thieves? Maybe some of the abilities will be integrated into the interface organically permanently? I would like to know.

Edited by Shadenuat

IE games interface was pretty solid, it could have used a larger bar for spells and speeding up pre-buffing time somehow, but that's it. However, IE was also minimalist when it came to character abitilies. Warriors having one simple attack was only changed in IWD2. Rogue abilities were set in stone. Only spellcasters required a lot of control.

In IWD2, it became obvious that IE interface could not support each and every class having load of abilities. To do something as simple as making warrior use power attack, you had to go into special screen, scroll through +1, +2, +3... ...+whatever power attack icons and finally pick one. Same for bard spells.

So I'm wondering what they are going to do with it.

I REALLY want to see interface implementing unique class features in it naturally instead of souless and bland WoW'esque drag-n-dropable icons. Maybe there would be a large something in the center that would change depending on what class you selected? Like a tome for wizards, or stealth gem for thieves? Maybe some of the abilities will be integrated into the interface organically permanently? I would like to know.

In a RTwP game there is no point to have all classes require a lot micromanagement.Some of them must be passive. In theory it sounds good to have many "options" and abilities for every class, but in practise is almost impossible to micromanage SIX characters at the same time unless you wish to pause the game every 6 seconds.If you want that it would be better to make the game turn based from the start. I believe is better to have 1 or 2 characters that require active managment all the time and have the rest be almost entirely passive.

Like it was in IE games.

I believe is better to have 1 or 2 characters that require active

managment all the time and have the rest be almost entirely passive.

I want to hear what solutions they came up with for that; how is it possible to micromanage a party of characters who's classes all have sorts of active abilities without playing game in permanent "P" mode. Sure.

(Because they will provide non-spellcasters with all sorts of abilities, that's just a given concidering what we've heard so far and how it looks like D&D 4).

Edited by Shadenuat

The one aspect of the IE interface I didn't much care for was the amount of real estate taken up in the vertical direction. The visible game area was much wider than it was tall, even with the isometric viewing angle. That forced a left-right exploration direction in order to see a decent distance ahead of the party. Expanding the text panel only made it worse. It was much better in NWN2 because the text panel could be located anywhere and resized. The icon strip in NWN2 was quite small, making most of the game area visible.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It was much better in NWN2 because the text panel could be located anywhere and resized.

The text panel at the center made dialogue feel very solid. It had infinite amount of scrolling space for text and replies, portraits felt natural, NPCs standing at the center of it felt natural, and you did't have to roll your eyes all over the screen to read text in little box there somewhere. It looked important and made game more about "reading". NWN2 had the worst readability ever.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

It was much better in NWN2 because the text panel could be located anywhere and resized.

The text panel at the center made dialogue feel very solid. It had infinite amount of scrolling space for text and replies, portraits felt natural, NPCs standing at the center of it felt natural, and you did't have to roll your eyes all over the screen to read text in little box there somewhere. It looked important and made game more about "reading". NWN2 had the worst readability ever.

You mean you didn't move the text box to the center of the screen? Why not?

The NWN2 text box can be resized and relocated. The view can be modified to your favorite perspective, including having the leader at the center of the display. The readability seemed fine.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

You mean you didn't move the text box to the center of the screen? Why not?

Generally NPC's standed there? (I should probably check on that one, not sure)

It still was painfully small.

The NWN2 text box can be resized and relocated.

I generally prefer solid interfaces which hold up for main theme of the game. If well made, they give a game distinct feel, the learning pattern, can be actually fun to explore, and are actually easier to get into. Total modding of UI to your taste is only fitting MMO's, in my opinion.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1