Operation "Red October"

obyknven

Today Kaspersky Lab published a new research report which identified an elusive cyber-espionage campaign targeting diplomatic, governmental and scientific research organisations in several countries for at least five years. The primary focus of this campaign targets countries in Eastern Europe, former USSR Republics and countries in Central Asia, although victims can be found everywhere, including Western Europe and North America. The main objective of the attackers was to gather sensitive documents from the compromised organisations, which included geopolitical intelligence, credentials to access classified computer systems, and data from personal mobile devices and network equipment.

It's wondering how actually weak and vulnerable "mighty" governments and elite now. Just imagine times when hackers stop banking transactions, stock exchanges, crash military drones, steal and share all top secret data. Knowledge it's real power.

http://www.prnewswir...-186800321.html

207764395.png

I thought the morale was, don't open emails originating from China (looking at the map) :p

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Neither the UK or China have been hit? Seems legit.

While I fully understand your skepticism, I think you missed the part that said "The primary focus of this campaign targets countries in Eastern Europe, former USSR Republics and countries in Central Asia"

This isn't a omniscient firm, and it's safe to assume that most governments do not issue public announcements for every attempt made to breach the security of their computer networks. Not all information is freely available to everyone, elsewise this report, and others like it, would have no reason for existing.

Edited by AGX-17

China and Russia (and possibly other governments) place a far FAR higher premium on internal awareness and control than on external. Especially now we're living in a post World War world of peace and love and civil war.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.