Forgotten Realms & CRPG History Question

Luridis

I'm trying to find out where and when the city of Neverwinter was introduced into Forgotten Realms. Anyone know this for sure?

I know that Neverwinter appeared for the first time in a CRPG in SSI's "Gateway to the Savage Frontier" back in 1991. What I'm not sure of is if Neverwinter existed before that, or if it was something that was created specifically for that game.

Thanks...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'm not familiar with much FR stuff myself, but I know that the first release was the "grey box" edition, and so a quick googling of what's purportedly the map that came with that edition reveals it's been there since that first commercial release - http://www.mimbral.c.../9279/frmap.jpg

As to when Greenwood introduced it into his campaign ....well.

EDIT: Ninjaed. :p

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Okay thanks guys... I've never done much PnP and that was in Dragonlance and Greyhawk... So I'm not real familiar with how or when FR itself was introduced. All I really wanted to know is if it was in the lore before Gateway.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

FR basically started out as the Dalelands in a campaign Ed Greenwood created and ran as DM for his gaming group... As he came up with further stories, he added bits to the map as they were relevant to the plots , stories and characters he was running.

Which is one of the reasons FR is just a wee bit madly put together. Not that it isn't fun with a fair few good ideas in there. :)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."