The Natural Philosopher Class

Anton Sokolov wannabe! Throwing grenades around and rocking an arquebus shotgun? yes please

I was going to say, looks like the OP has been playing Dishonored! :D While I am not normally all for a tinker class, I like them but they only fit certain settings like Steampunk, a more mundane version that makes things like gunpowder greanades (similar sort of things did exist) may not be too out of place.

How about an, authentic to P:E, "Da Vinci" representative? Or "Q". In Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood he is awesome, and fits very well. I don't personally see why not it couldn't be in the game. But as a companion or a class choice? Would be coo!! (can't think of a good idea of "how" though.. see*). As a crafting skill or a lore/story/quest important NPC? Yes.

And how using some sort of device would be different from casting a spell....

It is different because we are not talking about microchips, we're not talking about satelites, or radio technology.

We're talking about actual physical machines. A physical machine that turns and cranks and rotates.

How can you confuse a Catapult with magic?

Even if the Catapult shoots lightening instead of big rocks, it is still infinittely different than someone who speaks magical words of powers, and then shoots a bolt of lightening from their fingertips.

You see that shadow? That is a boulder my Wizard is throwing at his opponent from that hill over there. Is bigger than the rock that fits in the catapult.

<3

I think therefore I fireball.

EDIT: Some thoughts

* Doesn't have a combat role (attack role)

* Purely "support". Tinkering in battle. Tinkering out of battle. Moderately.

* Alcehimst/Medic/Scientist/Engineer (doesn't use Magic, doesn't use Weapons, doesn't use Stealth)

* Resource/Ingredients based abilities.

* Pack Mule? xD

* NPC: Da Vinci-esque like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Edited by Osvir

I think the subclass would be either Cipher or Mage, drawing power from mundane sources such as alchemy. Surely there are many mages who was philosophic on the meaning and true nature of magic and the existential consequences thereof, but there are yet those who merely take magic as they encounter it. Rational study of magic could lead to interesting modern(ish) mage outcomes.

Letting the Naturalist mage eschew their tomes at the cost wild random spell effects plus variables on ingredients and skill level. Really I want to turn them into Scientific Wild Mages.

For the record, Natural

Does anyone else wish they could play a Natural Philospher type of a class?

Don't say Wizard! Wizards are not scientists!

Yes Wizards study, yes Wizards learn, but they learn magic, not natural philosphy. (or as we call it today: science)

Where did catapults and siege engines come from? Natural Philosphy.

Natural Philosphers are badass. I would love to play a classed based on that idea.

Try to imagine: Richard Feynman + MacGyver, and if your head doesn't explode you're not doing it right.

No, siege weapons were not the result of Natural Philosophy. Natural Philosophy was the precursor to modern science and emerged in/gave rise to the Enlightenment era, after the Renaissance, and it was centered on the study of the natural world. The siege weapons you describe were invented milennia before the concept of Natural Philosophy existed. They were using siege towers and various forms of ballistae and catapults in the ancient world.

A natural philosopher was essentially the research scientist of the Renaissance era. Mathematics and engineering existed for thousands of years prior to the renaissance, and most of what you describe was accomplished by people who were not Natural Philosophers.

http://en.wikipedia....ural_philosophy

Sir Isaac Newton was a Natural Philosopher. This was a man who spent his time inventing calculus and laying the groundwork for modern physics, not a man who ever went near a battlefield. PE is a few centuries out from the atom bomb.

Edited by AGX-17