Will the next XBox contain Windows 8?

Humodour

What if the next XBox runs Windows 8? Hmm. It would be contradictory of Microsoft NOT to do that - one operating system for every device, right? And Microsoft loves its console division a lot. But the XBox 360 is very overdue for an upgrade - it is now 7 years old.

I don't like Microsoft, but it would definitely shake things up if they did that. It's a powerful move which Linux and OS X just can't replicate ever. Although Android might get there with the Ouya, and from there Ubuntu for Android might also be integrated.

If Microsoft chose ARM as the architecture for the device instead of PowerPC, things would get even stranger. Because Microsoft already compiles for ARM because of tablets and phones running Windows 8. So no extra software work would be required by Microsoft to maintain the non-ARM, non-x86 architecture. AND no more work would be required by game developers because they'd only have to compile for ARM and x86 (currently it is x86 and PowerPC). But the benefit would be that game developers could then EASILY port their games to tablets and Windows phones simply by adjusting the user input method (from keyboard and mouse or gamepad to touchscreen). So Microsoft strengthens its ecosystem.

But Apple's got no way to fight the move. They just don't do consoles. Well, yet.

I guess at the end of the day one thing is for sure: there's a ****load of innovation happening in the IT industry at the moment.

I'm actually kind of surprised by Microsoft. They've actually got a big, long-term game plan just like Google and Apple. I don't think they're out of the game yet.

EDIT:

Because at the end of the day, a game console with 4 64-bit ARM cores each running at 2 GHz with an excellent graphics processor, 8 gig of RAM and a solid state hard drive would be more than enough to run excellent games.

Edited by Krezack

They're pretty much gonna use some sort of Windows 8 code, and the DX11.1 API in order to make PC->720 ports and vice versa easier. No way however they're using an ARM architecture due to the reduced instruction sets.

*set. Singular. ARM is RISC - Reduced Instruction Set Computing. It doesn't imply a limitation in performance. All the previous consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3) were also RISC. The fastest computer currently in existence is uses a reduced instruction set architecture. Microsoft already uses ARM for their tablets and phones.

So your reasoning for Microsoft not using ARM is invalid in that part.

But yes, choosing x86 does make more sense.

So wow. I find myself impressed with Microsoft. They're still overpriced closed-source proprietary bull****, but at least they're not also low-quality tech - so they're no different to Apple.

Edited by Krezack

I'm sure they'll use Win8. They'll also integrate the new version of Live into desktop Win8 etc. I think it's pretty much a given that they'll try and absorb/ combine PC and NextBox gaming this cycle- which is a whole lot more sensible than their previous approach of trying to suffocate PC gaming and handing the whole system to a competitor as a consequence.

Doubt they'll use ARM though, as its main advantage (low power draw) is not an advantage in a non-mobile device since the trade off for it in sheer processing power is probably too much. OTOH there might not have been RROD problems with ARM due to their low draw/ heat output. Also, if they want to unify PC and nextbox gaming having both running on similar architecture makes that easier.

The UI they've been using for the last while has similarities to metro, such as the ugliness.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg