"The Goon" Movie KickStarter

AwesomeOcelot

Clancy Brown is in my favourite game Fallout, and my 8th favourite movie Shawshank, also he was the bomb in Starship Troops. I'm not a big fan of David Fincher, I've seen most of his films, but not his latest two, but everyone seems to love Fight Club and Se7en.

Not a fan of Seann William Scott but Role Models was pretty good. Liked Jay Baruchel in Undeclared, Alison Pill in Pillars of Earth, and Kim Coates in Sons of Anarchy. My only experience with hockey is NHL '94 on the Sega Mega Drive.

So I just found out this just started. Not sure if anyone here would be interested. Clancy Brown, David Fincher, zombies.

Backed. The proof of concept trailer from a while back was awesome.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am disappointed this thread isn't about the real Goon movie.

http://youtu.be/sytVoTYFT08

I feel the opposite every time someone mentions that movie. This "The Goon" production by David "Fight Club" Fincher and Blur "Awesome Video Game Trailers" Studios predates Goon and CGI movie not aimed primarily at kids is currently the holy grail of the animation industry (as someone studying CG animation, this is extremely important to me). Every single time there was news about the Sean William Scott movie, I'd go "Goon? They finally made this? **** YES!" and I'd see some dumb movie about a pointless children's game instead*. ;(

Happy they're doing this.

*Just messin' with ya.

I don't understand how no studio would pick this up, as if this wouldn't make money. Crowd funding is amazing, but I think what's more important is content creators controlling their IP and gaining royalties from it. Musicians releasing their albums for $5 in FLAC or ALAC, that simply doesn't happen unless they're independent. Perhaps they get less sales, but I'd love to see a break down on the difference in royalties. I recently asked a band to release some old EPs in FLAC, and they did it in 2 hours, imagine a big label doing that.

But those are not reasons for a studio to pick it up - if a movie doesn't hit box office gold it's considered a failure. Look, I agree with you on that it should be picked up for those reasons, but it's very easy to understand why studios aren't picking it up right now. They live on an old and failing system of multiplex returns and they're not showing any signs of learning.

I'm still debating with myself whether I should pledge - since the kickstarter is just to make a full story reel to show to Hollywood. It's still no guarantee that a studio will actually pick it up, and like I said before Animation targeted specifically to adults is box office poison. If adults were just a periphery group like Pixar films, then I'd have faith, but aimed squarely at adults means that even with a story reel it's still extremely unlikely it's going to be picked up... and what will it really show that the proof of concept didn't?

On the other hand, I REALLY want this movie to be picked up and made.

I'm still debating with myself whether I should pledge - since the kickstarter is just to make a full story reel to show to Hollywood. It's still no guarantee that a studio will actually pick it up, and like I said before Animation targeted specifically to adults is box office poison. If adults were just a periphery group like Pixar films, then I'd have faith, but aimed squarely at adults means that even with a story reel it's still extremely unlikely it's going to be picked up... and what will it really show that the proof of concept didn't?

On the other hand, I REALLY want this movie to be picked up and made.

I think if they thought they were able to completely crowd fund the project they would. I understand your reluctance and share some of it, I'm definitely not going to pledge as much as I did for Project Eternity, Dead State, or Hotel Noir. I want IP to be controlled by the creators, so they get the royalties, income for talent, not income for the rich. One thing that helped persuade me was that Blur has already sunk more money than they're asking into this project, so just to help them out for producing such an awesome trailer and trying to get The Goon in this medium is worth pledging in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Well they made it. Was looking bleak for a while, just barely making it to halfway with a week to spare, but they got the other 200k in the last 3 days.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg