Boxed CE vs. Digitsl Copy($140 tier vs $165 tier)

So far I've been set in my decision that I'll stick to the boxed CE version of the game over the all digital $165 tier but I'm starting to have doubts and they focus around a couple of key points:

1) Will there be a difference in terms of game content between the boxed CE and the regular digital copy? We really have no idea what the CE will contain besides a fancy box and my greatest reservations revolve around this point. I don't want to "upgrade" to the $165 tier only to find that too bad so sad I'm left out of game content exclusive to the CE.

2) I mainly want to help fund Obsidian and Project Eternity but what does the inclusion of Wasteland 2 mean to that exactly? Different kickstarter, different team with the only real connection being Chris Avellone supporting that project and writing a novel for it as well. So if I move to a tier with Wasteland 2 in it does that mean that a portion of the money I pledge goes to the Wasteland 2 team or have they been promised a portion of PE profits. Perhaps they have just been promised payment for the amount of copies given from PE profits....or are they just giving it for free? Perhaps this is the payment they feel is due to Chris Avellone for writing the Wasteland 2 novel?

For me as it stands the difference from my present pledge of $168 to the $165 tier is a $5 addition. Ultimately I just felt sort of screwed by this choice because I don't want to give up my boxed CE but also want to reserve the expansion now to avoid nasty surprises later.....like having to wait another month or missing on certain in-game bonus/addition because I didn't reserve it via kickstarter pledge.

Thoughts?

PS: before someone mentions it, no I cannot upgrade to the $250 tier.

1zq6793.jpg

1) Will there be a difference in terms of game content between the boxed CE and the regular digital copy?

No, there will not. The only difference is that the boxed copy grants you physical items whereas the $165 tier gives you Wasteland 2 and the expansion.

2) I mainly want to help fund Obsidian and Project Eternity but what does the inclusion of Wasteland 2 mean to that exactly? Different kickstarter, different team with the only real connection being Chris Avellone supporting that project and writing a novel for it as well. So if I move to a tier with Wasteland 2 in it does that mean that a portion of the money I pledge goes to the Wasteland 2 team or have they been promised a portion of PE profits. Perhaps they have just been promised payment for the amount of copies given from PE profits....or are they just giving it for free? Perhaps this is the payment they feel is due to Chris Avellone for writing the Wasteland 2 novel?

It means that Brian Fargo and inXile are grateful to Obsidian for helping with the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter (take a look at the daily pledge graph; that jump in the middle is the announcement of Obsidian's involvement) and they're willing to donate on the order of two thousand Wasteland 2 copies to the Kickstarter. The money does not go inXile, it's just their way of helping out.

If you're really not that concerned about the physical goodies, then go for the upgrade. I'm in somewhat the same boat as you as I've pledged at the 140 dollar tier and was a little surprised that the 165 dollar tier was digital only. I, however, don't want to give up my shinies, so won't go for the all digital. And seeing how you can grab Wasteland 2 on inXile's website for 20 bucks, I don't really see the advantage of moving up a tier. Sure, it means you'd get the expansion for the equivalent of 5 bucks (assuming you'd go buy Wasteland 2 otherwise) but that's not enough of an incentive for me personally.

I'm hoping to see another pledge tier at maybe the 175 or 180 dollar level that will include the physical goodies + Wasteland 2 and the expansion. I'd be all over that sucker in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I have seen people say the boxed versions will only be available to people who pledge for it. There are no firm plans at present to mass release the boxed version. So if you do not want to miss out on a fancy box and printed manual, get the boxed version to avoid regret.

If you're really not that concerned about the physical goodies, then go for the upgrade. I'm in somewhat the same boat as you as I've pledged at the 140 dollar tier and was a little surprised that the 165 dollar tier was digital only. I, however, don't want to give up my shinies, so won't go for the all digital. And seeing how you can grab Wasteland 2 on inXile's website for 20 bucks, I don't really see the advantage of moving up a tier. Sure, it means you'd get the expansion for the equivalent of 5 bucks (assuming you'd go buy Wasteland 2 otherwise) but that's not enough of an incentive for me personally.

I'm hoping to see another pledge tier at maybe the 175 or 180 dollar level that will include the physical goodies + Wasteland 2 and the expansion. I'd be all over that sucker in a heartbeat.

honestly I'm kind of stuck, I'd love the physical goodies as well....I don't know what to do. And yes I'd instantly jump on a $175 - $180 tier that removed this dilemma.

1zq6793.jpg

I have seen people say the boxed versions will only be available to people who pledge for it. There are no firm plans at present to mass release the boxed version. So if you do not want to miss out on a fancy box and printed manual, get the boxed version to avoid regret.

Indeed, you are quite likely to be absolutely right on this too.....damn, I hope they do something to help this issue....another physical tier between $165 and $250 would be in order here.

1zq6793.jpg

honestly I'm kind of stuck, I'd love the physical goodies as well....I don't know what to do. And yes I'd instantly jump on a $175 - $180 tier that removed this dilemma.

Me too. Hell, I'd jump on a 175-180$ tier that was just 140$ + Expansion. While Wasteland 2 is a nice bonus and all, I'm okay with not getting it right now.

We should have an update soon with the 2.5 mil stretch goal reached and the 5th level of the dungeon also secured and I suspect there'll be some sort of reaction to the way the $165 tier was received......here's hoping for some kind of solution.

1zq6793.jpg

Me too. Hell, I'd jump on a 175-180$ tier that was just 140$ + Expansion. While Wasteland 2 is a nice bonus and all, I'm okay with not getting it right now.

I'm in the same position. $250 +shipping is just too much for me, but I might be able to squeeze out a total of $200.

Well the update they did was half ok....bringing back George Ziets should definitely prove worthwhile but the 2.7 mil mark left a lot to be desired and is something of a detriment to the game by bringing it up to four religion obsessed classes(Priest, Monk, Paladin and Chanter) that's more than one third of all classes.

Beyond that I have been thinking long and hard about the tier options at hand and ultimately what I'll do is stick to the $140 tier. I can reserve Wasteland 2 or buy it at release which in turn leaves me with everything except the expansion pack which I suppose I can purchase at release and hope Obsidian does not pull any nasty surprises like exclusive content or early release for kickstarter reservations.

1zq6793.jpg

I think the $140.00 point will get better to encourage people to pledge *up* to it. So don't worry if you are already there.

I want the CE box more than I want W2, so $165.00 makes no sense to me: I'm paying $160.00 already including postage. Obz needs to show a bit more love to its adoring European fanbase.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I felt exactly the same way, having doubts between the 140+20 tier or the digital 165 tier.

I really couldn't make up my mind, so I went for the $250 tier and got both.

A bit steep yes, but atleast I feel that my money goes towards something great, being this nostalgic and all.

God, I regret that I spent all those money on that Collectors Edition of Diablo 3, such waste...

Edited by MiCkO
sigpic14647_3.gif