A special "playground"

I've seen the wallpapers and one (that with the group atop a stone surrounded by those grey ghouls or whatever they are) inspired me to propose the following.

It would be great to have a button on the main menu that says SURVIVAL (similar to Left4Dead2 survival playmode).

That button would take the party from the "main game" (as-is at the moment of clicking) to the underground hall depicted in the wallpaper. That hall exists in the main game as a ruin you can visit, but it is "inactive".

During survival, saving would be deactivated and death or any changes to the party would *NOT* reflect on the "main game".

All you would do is stay atop that stone (king of the hill) and try to survive the incoming waves of monsters, which become stronger and stronger. Between waves you'd get some meager supplies and lore (an off-screen voice yelling "And now we will see how they fare against our four Giant Cavern Morlocks" or something like that).

The player would have to survive as long as possible, with no end at all.

In-game, there would be a book and/or a memorial stone/statue that updates it's inscriptions whenever the player does survival and show the "top record" he reached, something like:

"To the heroes of darkstone, who died an hour before the King's armies arrived to save them. Three were the fierce Balrogs laying around them, testimoning their utter fight to their bitter end. Never will we forget their example."

That would be "just for fun" and to "measure" the party's fighting power and stuff like that.

Or maybe embed it in the game already. If it makes sense... Because if they *HAVE* to die in the end (and they should, that's the whole thing about survival without end) it doesn't make any sense if it's in the "main game"...

By repeating it with higher level parties, the player would survive longer and longer. This means the survival mode shouldn't scale up to the player's level because that would defeat the sense of "survivng longer than before" and feeling stronger and stronger...

I don't know if I got my vision across, I hope it appeals to Obsidian and backers. Maybe it can be evolved into even a better idea.

Never played Witcher 2 but if you think so, it probably is, because I don't think this is a new idea, it is very much an idea that I've already seen in other games. So, without knowing what you are talking about, yes :D "Witcher 2 arena style"! That's what I meant!

BTW: It could be added as an "after-thought" and it would use assets from the game, so there shouldn't go much effort into implementing this, and the waves can be pretty easy to design, just toss monsters at the player by raising their levels, numbers and race.

If it takes too much and detracts form the main game, I'd be against it myself!

So, just saying, if it doesn't "hurt" the main game and, besides, it might be a way to test monsters and stuff for the devs themselves...

I'd rather they spent resources on something of actual value. Something that would contribute to the single player experience in an immersive way and not make it feel like a game concentrating on just the mechanics where the story, world and everything RPG-related is only a filler.

If mod support will make it than there is no point in the devs doing it, because it should be fairly easy to implement using the game's toolset.

Edited by True_Spike

That's mod fodder! You're right! Once you can mod, that's a good candidate especially because it's "detached" from the rest of the game...

I hope a modder will read this and make a mod out of it :D