Proposal: Knights, Paladins, Aristocrats, Rich Tanks

I feel a kinship with the sacred knight.

This is sad for me, this attenuation I have with paladins. I'm impoverished and shy usually, but we all have dreams. In your dreams, are you poor and rude? Or are you capable with word and wealth, with armaments and social discernment? Are you a metal shelled Oscar Wilde bedecked in platinum and precious stones?

Is it that you might sometimes want to cross the chessboard in an L jump? The knight might be what you are, in dreams and eventually in Project Eternity. I can just imagine you, yes you, gliding serenely in pale muslin robes, your scabbard a diagonal line from your slouched chain-link belt, enchanted ceramic hilt protruding in want of your grip. And you do get that bonus in communicating with soldiers and nobles, no matter the price increase on goods purchased from commonplace merchants. And guns come easily to your hand, granted by no less license than the crown.

In Project Eternity, two classes have been described at this date and we're thankful for these swift-coming descriptions. Wizards and Rangers promote two distant forms of battle, both excelling at ranged skirmishing. However, there's need for a silvery barrier that doesn't fall from a sulfur-perfumed volley. The knight might be armored against bullets, arrows, knives, and spear-tip. The knight is one for standing firm and catching all who attempt to surpass his guard, not with shouted taunt, but through arc of steel blade, thrust kicks, wrestling for mere seconds before tossing an interloper to the ground. None pass him to assail his friends.

I suggest the knight be a tank that operates to block enemies through quick martial arts. Armored, yes, but never slow.

Clad in ceramic-steel alloy armour that's been enameled in spell hardened rubber, with alchemical spiderweb cushioning, this knight is the high technology tactical servant of the Project Eternity era. While thoroughly flesh, blood, and soul aneath the armor, the knight can move like a whirlwind and kill like an enraged lion. A charge of knights is not met with resistance, guns flaring, swords glistening, spears jutting. While lesser beings cow before sea monsters and nightmarish evil, knights stand with vim against any foe.

High hitpoints. Swift. Armored. Rich.

Their weak points is they often eschew the study of magic and strange lore for more aesthetic pursuits. A knight must be expected to please as a courtier as well as achieve victory on the battlefield. Poetry and painting are their second war and one without mercy. Knights can be of non-excellent aim with a gun: they are not marksmen but they are known for firing amass at an enemy before charging with melee weapons. They are conservative in outlook albeit tolerantly so. No defender can afford to despise their wards, and nobility can be eccentric in the extreme. Their strict and solemn paradigm is that law is kept reasonably whole, that good is eventually done, that no battle is against the defenseless and innocent. And they tend to be a bit snobbish and elitist without knowing, right?

So we do need a knight, a samurai, a paladin, a gardener of the steel wind. How about it, Obsidian?

Edited by septembervirgin
  • Like 3

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I'll have to say I don't see the need for a specific class for this.

Sir Lancel von Radiant

Class: Warrior

Social Status: Noble

Education: High

... or that's how I see it. The fewer classes the better.

... or that's how I see it. The fewer classes the better.

I don't care much if classes or specializations are few or many, to be honest. I just hope they are going to be highly differentiated.

What they wear, what weapons they use, what special abilities they can learn. I really want to feel the difference.

and i hope for the exact opposite :D

have it without classes but instead every character can learn every skill (as long as the lore and logic supports it)

but i guess you'll win in the end ;)

Well, if you note there are two classes already mentioned, ranger and wizard. Neither of these classes is "warrior". A ranger is a specialized form of warrior, if you wish to call it something generic, but so is a knight. If you feel there should be no specialization of heavy armored fighters, then perhaps you feel there should be no specialization of long ranged hunting fighters.

I'll have to say I don't see the need for a specific class for this.

I really don't *have* to donate a dime to make a suggestion. I think this is probably what they're already doing, to be honest, but I thought a certain style and take on the concept of a heavy-duty fighter would be useful. I will be donating money, but that's an unnecessary brag; I really shouldn't be such a braggadocio, and I won't be donating more than I can afford.

If you really want this in game I suggest donating at the $5,000 or $10,000 dollar level. Otherwise? It seems like the kind of back-story you could invent for your character, but something that probably shouldn't be a class unto itself.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Well, if you note there are two classes already mentioned, ranger and wizard. Neither of these classes is "warrior". A ranger is a specialized form of warrior, if you wish to call it something generic, but so is a knight. If you feel there should be no specialization of heavy armored fighters, then perhaps you feel there should be no specialization of long ranged hunting fighters.

Putting it like that, yeah I do see the slot for heavily armored fighter, and I'd be ok if that's called a knight.

I just don't see the need to put social status and education into the package, or there'd be also need for a less well off rough and scruffy warrior class.

(which would the probably be barbarian or something like that)

The main reason I wouldn't like too many classes, is I'd like maximum effort and resources on each individual class,

to make sure it's polished, balanced and well rounded. The fewer classes, the easier that is to accomplish.

D&D classes are a developement of decades, blizzard spends zilliards of bucks and man-hours into seeking the class balance.

There's virtually zero chance Eternity won't have serious problems with class balance when it ships, but I'd like to see that minimized.

I would also like to see the Paladin class included in the game.

For a Paladin-like feel I'd think you could just split clerics into warrior and scholar branches, with Paladins leaning toward the former. Shrug.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

For a Paladin-like feel I'd think you could just split clerics into warrior and scholar branches, with Paladins leaning toward the former. Shrug.

Sadly, they already have a warrior type class: the Ranger. So it's Wizard, Ranger, and ...

The ranger can fill the niche for a rogue-like character too. So we need a front line fighter. Soldiers are everywhere and probably are a Commoner with an extra level or three and some perks representing their training. I'm assuming there's an NPC "class" already, otherwise we'll have a bunch of zero level characters -- and that won't be functional against some play-styles. No, it's unlikely they'll populate a city with adventuring classes and it's also unlikely they'll all be zero level characters. There's either a few distinct NPC classes or Commoner class. And the monsters might fall into "Commoner" class with a few extra abilities and stuff.

It would be odd for there to be no heavy armor class, and those who wear heavy armor are usually knights. The best knights in any culture were usually those that asked their knights to *learn* and be able with the arts. In Europe there was an initiative to induce knights to be "the flower of manhood" and to be educated, to attenuate the arts, and to behave with chivalry. This initiative, in the form of a few manuals, could be said to have fallen flat in the general case. Yet I think it would be attractive if knights were expected to like music, art, and literature (even if some might be of low intelligence or education scores).

Edited by septembervirgin

The idea that the plate-armoured knight was slow isn't completely accurate. You don't have to be a SCA grognard to have seen men in Milanese plate moving deftly and with astonishing speed. Having said that, I think the OP is on the money and his post beautifully written. FWIW.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG