I don't mind minigames like dice poker in the witcher or pazaak in kotor. If they fit in, they contribute to a "living and breathing" world.

But I really dislike it, when you are forced to learn and play such a minigame to finish a certain quest. The minigames should be optional!

I have no problem with mini-games being required to start and finish even the main plot, as long as they're not action mini-games and allow the the character's skill and/or personality to be seen in the mini-game itself. I don't feel like being original, so something like pazaak or more preferably poker would be okay in my book. There's no single right way to play that game(since it's a game about people) allowing for a lot of player personality, and the character's stats can easily influence how the game plays. A higher perception could allow the character to pick up on 'tells' of the other players. A higher strength could intimidate other players. A high appearance/charisma score can be distracting, especially to the opposite sex. Etc.

I haven't played caravan or The Witcher's dice poker so can't comment on them.

If we're talking about mini-games likes those seen in Fallout 3 or Mass Effect though, I'd rather not see them at all. And definitely don't ever make a mandatory action mini-game like the podracing events or ebon hawk fighter battles in SW: KotOR!

Minigames are great, when they're optional. I tend to spend way too much time on mini games, but in games like FF7 where they were unavoidable, they just bugged me.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Ocularis Terribus one-way tickets coming up for those who thinks lockpick minigames are fun >_

Minigames are best dead and buried together with QTE's so they can keep each other company in the afterlife.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No minigames, unless it is that game from commander keen (PaddleWar!) which I played more than main game itself :). Okey I don't think that today I would play Pong clone so much, but when I was young it was fun, I even write couple clones of it with QuickBASIC.