RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

it's not in NFR (http://en.wikipedia....l_Film_Registry) therefore it's not "one of the greatest".

Not sure if serious, but if you notice there is actually only one film from 1997 on that list, and none after 97. So Titanic (1997 release) is barely at the point where it would really be considered. It did win 11 academy awards, so your argument is pretty shaky here.

Glad to hear about the pacifist playthroughs in Dishonored. I still plan on getting it on day 1.

Kubrick only won one academy award and it was for "special effects". That's how meaningless those trinkets are.

So basically you guys are saying a film can be incredibly profitable, receive great reviews from critics, appeal to a widely diverse audience from ages 8 to 80, and garner a ton awards, but that doesn't make it a great movie?

I know it's trendy to hate on stuff that's popular, but we've reached the point of absurdity.

That's absolutely correct. Critics panned Star Wars...it originally showed in only a few theaters (though those theaters made enough that they spread it far and wide after that), and was a B movie. However, it did make a bucket load of money eventually, so that probably shouldn't be used as a good example.

The Seven Samurai probably would be a better indication. No ONE really watched Japanese movies in the US when it was released. Titanic swept the Academy...Seven samurai did not. Seven samurai didn't win any of those "prestigious" awards Titanic did...but Titanic didn't really win the not so popular awards the Seven Samurai did.

Seven Samurai was big for Japan (which means related to the US movies...it wasn't even a blot on the radar), but that really didn't take much back when it was made. However, if you want critical acclaim...THAT's a movie that won the right awards and has had the right impact for a great movie.

Taking it back to video games in relation to what is considered great or not...It is like comparing Need for Speed as being a great game in relation to Planescape. Which one is greater? Which one is better? Both PS:T and Need for Speed series have had critical acclaim at times (yes, NfS really has had some critical acclaim, believe it or not, and it is one of the top ten best selling video game series with over 100 million copies sold)

In the end...it IS subjective...so if you see Titanic as a great movie...then there's nothing that can change your opinion.

There are MANY that think Need for Speed may be the greatest game series ever.

But there's a cult of us that think Planescape: Torment beats it out hands down.

"You aren't accustomed to losing much...are you."

That's because I NEVER lose... espicially on the internet... espicially when we are talking about opinions and other stinky stuff that is simply umproveable one way or the other (except I use FACTS).

"ut AP...that was absolutely awesome. I think it may turn out to be one of those cult classic video games...ones that have a small rabid fanbase, but over the years can make a big cry of how awesome it is."

AP is horrible. It is part of Obsidian' Unholym Trinity Of Crap along with DS3 and SOZ.

Their Holy trinity of Fun is NWN2 OC, MOTB, and FO:NV.

]

But, AP is pure garbage and the fact that 100 internet spammers love it THIS MUCH don't impress me. 'Cult classic' is one of those phrases that has lost all its meaning since anyone who likes something that isn't super popualr or wasn't successful when original release will tag it as 'cult classic'. The critieria for 'cult classic' is so whimiscal and self serving it ultimately becomes meaningless.

"OC isn't the best ever...but definately not the worst by FAR. I think that's common ground we can both stand on. I liked OC..."

You win. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Discussion turning into something irrelevant (and getting way too long too)...

Let's get back to Dragon Age 2 bashing or something similar innovative.

New thread

:skull:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein