Witcher2

Just to be clear, I specifically meant Cedric's views on the 'old' and the 'new' Scoia'tael. In fact his perceived lack of motivation may stem from a belief that not too dissimilar to humans, Iorveth's elves also lost the ability to 'appreciate' the lost elven culture.

Also Cedric is not in the town - so somewhat independent - and he sort of protects people from monsters, so he's a kind of an elven witcher. :)

Also Cedric is not in the town - so somewhat independent - and he sort of protects people from monsters, so he's a kind of an elven witcher. :)

He can't hold down his alcohol, he has no sorceresses, nor wenches, nor lithe elven women, and he has a personality. He simply doesn't qualify for witcherdom.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, my point was not about personal preference of a certain character.

Again, I haven't read the novels but I feel the Witcher series are the mixture of romantic fantasy and hardboiled genres. An odd combination but it seems to work, at least. For, it's quite true that, even in hardboiled genre, characters tend to have subtle emotions so that the readers/audiences don't think it's just about ruthless gangs killing each other. At the same time, making it too emotional won't work, either. So, I think, the successful formula behind the Witchers can be letting the players to choose their comfortable spots between these romantic/sentimental reactions and coldblooded ones through Geralt.

At least, I can welcome the change from that D&D style simplistic good-evil formula. Seriously, it's high time since it's mainly designed for escapist fantasy formula. If the designers try to study the formula/balances in various works of novels/films/dramas/comedies and make role-playing games with the earned insights, I'd be quite happy with it. Or, this is what I expect from story-focused role-playing games.

• 1 month later...

For the next day and some change the Witcher and Witcher 2 are on sale

Roughly $4 and $14 respectively.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/the_witcher_series__gem__promo/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra