Diablo 3 Discussion

People who attend LAN parties, organize offline e-sport tournaments and game in internet cafes.

Just because Blizzard highly values centralized control and DRM Battle.net gives them doesn't mean that demand is not there.

It's not about if there is a demand or not. It's simply matter of risk vs reward, is there big enough reward for having LAN over the risk of screwing over your DRM scheme, and since they've made their decision we have our answer, no.

You can't honestly believe that this hasn't been discussed at Blizzard HQ when they decided to not have it.

Edited by trulez

Besides getting a good connection you can play with several of your friends in the same location.

I think I'm missing something here. The last time I saw a real life "internet cafe" was in Budapest a year ago and it looked about as uninviting as the dark alley next to it.

Edited by Purkake

It's not about if there is a demand or not. It's simply matter of risk vs reward, is there big enough reward for having LAN over the risk of screwing over your DRM scheme, and since they've made their decision we have our answer, no.

The only question here is whether the DRM will work.

Starcraft 2 was eventually cracked for LAN.

Besides getting a good connection you can play with several of your friends in the same location.

I think I'm missing something here. The last time I saw a real life "internet cafe" was in Budapest a year ago and it looked about as uninviting as the dark ally next to it.

A gaming one perhaps.

They tend to make that impression.

Smaller towns still sometimes have cafes for regular people mostly for browsing and downloading.

The only question here is whether the DRM will work.

Starcraft 2 was eventually cracked for LAN.

Umm, I think you just shot your self on the foot right there. You gave a reason to NOT have LAN.

D3 won't have LAN so it can't be cracked for LAN. There might be a private D3 server at some point in the future but that takes WAAAAAY longer to achieve than simple DRM crack. By that time the impact to sales is completely negligible.

D3 won't have LAN so it can't be cracked for LAN.

Neither dose Starcraft 2 and see what happened.

If there is enough demand in the pirate community it will happen sooner or later.

The only question is how long will it take and how difficult it will be.

Edited by pmp10

The fact is, that if you look at the way Starcraft II maps are regulated and the omission of LAN, its quite apparent that Blizzard simply wants total control over every aspect of their product and to make sure that absolutely no one other than them can in any way profit from their product.

Now that's a bit far fetched, no? Ever thought about that Blizzard got tired of hunting down cheaters/hackers and shut down their accounts? Not to mention constantly issue patches because some funny hacker screwed up the whole online infrastructure because Blizz decided to make everything open? Why even bother with these people? That's like trying slapping a NDA on the Diablo 3 beta in an age of youtube, facebook, and "You are connected" age.

Not even worth it.

And LAN? Who even uses that today? LAN used to be cool, like 10 years ago when internet speed used to be a lot slow(er).

Uhhm...blizzard STILL has to hunt down cheaters nad hackers in SCII (yes there are those out there) and even in WoW! And yes, they still issue patches. So yes, they still have to bother with those people.