My demo impression (different than the average impressions)

I'm amazed that people still hold up the original games as complex or... well, not dumbed down. The number of skills means absolutely jack, it's all in how they are used in the game. Now, most generally speaking, I certainly prefer to have a larger variety of skills to play around with but there is also a reason why Dungeon Siege is known for "playing itself". The very core of the Dungeon Sieges, and the reason why I personally hold it in very low esteem (even as far as action-RPGs go) *is* that they're incredibly tepid experiences. I would've liked a greater skill variety in DS3 but the game looks far more engaging and involving to the player than the old games do. I tried playing them around the times they were released, and have tried again now that I have them on STEAM due to the pre-order bonus, and I'm sorry. But Dungeon Siege is almost the definition of a dumbed down game.

I can certainly understand that someone might be upset at DS3 because it's taking a different direction, taking cues from console action games and having the pre-defined characters. But complaining that DS3 is dumbed down is incredibly hilarious when you consider the history of this series.

It's not that the original was some amazingly complex game, but that the new one is even further dumbed down that the originals. Get it?

And I'm saying that despite the "omg so many skillz0rs!" argument about the older games, DS3 still looks like it involves the player far more. Get it? Having plenty of skills is all fine and well (and like I said, I tend to prefer that approach myself) but it means absolutely jack if the core experience is dumbed down. From what I've seen, DS3 looks to be a far better designed game in that it actually involves the player far more. Again, it's true that it provides a slightly different experience (which is a fair point) but I would certainly not call it dumbed down if it manages to keep a decent challenge.

It also seems to *add* a lot of lore and backstory to the table, as well as choices to make for the player. Again, a switch from the originals design goals but *additions* that adds complexity in other areas rather than the immediate "kill stuff" gameplay.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm amazed that people still hold up the original games as complex or... well, not dumbed down. The number of skills means absolutely jack, it's all in how they are used in the game. Now, most generally speaking, I certainly prefer to have a larger variety of skills to play around with but there is also a reason why Dungeon Siege is known for "playing itself". The very core of the Dungeon Sieges, and the reason why I personally hold it in very low esteem (even as far as action-RPGs go) *is* that they're incredibly tepid experiences. I would've liked a greater skill variety in DS3 but the game looks far more engaging and involving to the player than the old games do. I tried playing them around the times they were released, and have tried again now that I have them on STEAM due to the pre-order bonus, and I'm sorry. But Dungeon Siege is almost the definition of a dumbed down game.

I can certainly understand that someone might be upset at DS3 because it's taking a different direction, taking cues from console action games and having the pre-defined characters. But complaining that DS3 is dumbed down is incredibly hilarious when you consider the history of this series.

It's not that the original was some amazingly complex game, but that the new one is even further dumbed down that the originals. Get it?

And I'm saying that despite the "omg so many skillz0rs!" argument about the older games, DS3 still looks like it involves the player far more. Get it? Having plenty of skills is all fine and well (and like I said, I tend to prefer that approach myself) but it means absolutely jack if the core experience is dumbed down. From what I've seen, DS3 looks to be a far better designed game in that it actually involves the player far more. Again, it's true that it provides a slightly different experience (which is a fair point) but I would certainly not call it dumbed down if it manages to keep a decent challenge.

It's not just that they had more, but they also had a more open system too...allowing more variation. DS3 is a very confined and linear system.

Whether or not you enjoy the more action orientated controls is a different matter all together.

It's not just that they had more, but they also had a more open system too...allowing more variation. DS3 is a very confined and linear system.

Whether or not you enjoy the more action orientated controls is a different matter all together.

No, and now you've given away that you don't know how the system even works. You can't just make a omnipotent charachter since the system doesn't allow it. Again, proficencies and how they are handled (with the point limit) play a large part in it.

Edited by C2B

No, and now you've given away that you don't know how the system even works. You can't just make a omnipotent charachter since the system doesn't allow it. Again, proficencies and how they are handled (with the point limit) play a large part in it.

What???

Edited by Renevent