What's with developers' obsession with D&D?

Actually, there is a skill element in KotOR -- the skill of understanding the system enough to do a workable build. Every time I see someone having trouble, it's because the build sucks.

I botched my build on my second playthrough, in fact. LS Scoundrel/Consular built for max AC. I did everything right except that I forgot to take Breach. The last battle was a nightmare.

Sure I have, and used in FOT, but if we are not given full controll of characters, like in FO2, team members will still be masacred by uncaring AS (artifical stupidity) controlled NPC team members.

Well, that's a different thing entirely. Just get some okay AI, or tell them what to do yourself (using teh magicz0rz of "pause")

Whee, we are thinking....not.

If it was optional to get a good AI in the game I'm quite sure most players would get the good one for NPC control. Sadly that is not the case. And the pause don't allow you to control AI controlled NPC, it only allows you the luxery to have a nervous brakedown while the game is paused seeing that you are about to get gunned down by friendly fire. TB allow better control where to place yourself and alow you to take out Risky targets before the NPC gun down friend and foe alike. Always used that option with success in FO once I understod how little the NPC cared about each other when I told them not to fire on me.

This assuming FO-like AI controlled NPC.

If it is real time and and you have to switch between all characters to set up called shots, move to better fireing position and other needed actions you will lose some control and it is twitch of players that decide if you handle a fight well or go down. It should always be the characters stat and skills that decide if a fight is successfull, and never the player's twitch uberness.

if you can't "twitch it" enough to hit the spacebar a few times in a fight, how long did it take to write your last post? An hour or two?

Hitting the pause button once in a while can hardly be called "twitch

As for JA2 I'm not saying anything since I have not played it yet.

There are just not enough shock emotes !!

Seriously you should try it it's very very good.And probably dirt cheap now as well.

(although I havnt played it since a couple of months after release).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Sure I have, and used in FOT, but if we are not given full controll of characters, like in FO2, team members will still be masacred by uncaring AS (artifical stupidity) controlled NPC team members.

If it is real time and and you have to switch between all characters to set up called shots, move to better fireing position and other needed actions you will lose some control and it is twitch of players that decide if you handle a fight well or go down. It should always be the characters stat and skills that decide if a fight is successfull, and never the player's twitch uberness.

Thats going to happen in TB too if the AI is that bad. It happened in FO and FO2 if you recall. The only way to solve it was to take away the NPC's burst weapons. Well you can do that in RT too.

Thats why there is invariably a pause function either state dependent and or something large and easy to press like a space bar.

The whole character stats and skills arguement is flawed. It simply replaces one type of player ability with another. I'm much better than the average person at tactical combat games for the simple reason I am me.

As long as you limit either player tactical ability or player reflexes to a reasonable level thats the best you are going to get.

Actualy you can take care of that problem with distance between NPC and yourself, as well as sneaking and taking out risky tagets before any accidents. When you do that it becomes much less risky to allow NPC just behind you automatic weapons.

It's all tactics to overcome stupid AI.

I rather think that the Pause is there since they don't use TB, and nobody can always have time to give all orders needed as well as might need to go afk from time to time. It is just a solution to stop RT from getting really messed up.

I see no flaw in stats and skill argument. It is the character that is supposed to be the "fighter", and not the player. That someone is somewhat different in thinking solutions to tactical problem is somewhat needed to be allowed in the game since it is CRPG...RP means roleplying, and hence you are supposed to let the character do whatever you think the character should do. It is not CLSRPG (a new word is invented :p , and it means Computer Live Simulation Role Playing Game ;) ).

If you make a hack and slash game with twitch, I can accept that game and actualy booth play it and enjoy it as a hack and slash action game (like Diablo). I would not enjoy it as a RPG game.

As for JA2 I'm not saying anything since I have not played it yet.

There are just not enough shock emotes !!

Seriously you should try it it's very very good.And probably dirt cheap now as well.

(although I havnt played it since a couple of months after release).

I wish I had time right now, but my education take up all my time as it is. Almost have no time to even vistit the forums.

And what have you done with you little avatar that we are used to? ;)

I wish I had time right now, but my education take up all my time as it is. Almost have no time to even vistit the forums.

And what have you done with you little avatar that we are used to? ;)

Way to prioritise and best of luck with your studies. :p

Misato ? She's on vacation. The new one is a character from KOEIs new Samurai game.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]