Uniloc on Steam = Lost sale

Steam itself is not DRM, unless the distributed games have its wrapper. Bit of an extreme example of the difference, but X-COM/ UFO Defence is exactly the same if purchased from any digital distributor and does not require Steam running even if purchased from it, and can be freely transferred between limitless computers simply by copying. Obviously Valve likes to have games sold on Steam with the wrapper installed (as do most publishers, for piracy prevention) as it forces people to use the client and gives them lots of valuable info while increasing its ubiquity, but it isn't essential.

Oh ffs.

I do not own XCom on Steam, so I cannot test that for you, but as I said, I have tested 5 other games, all of which activates through Steam and requires Steam to run. I can provide pics of the error messages I get when I try to run them without the client. If needed, I can go through my entire game collection and test them for you.

The case might be different for a game from 94 like XCom which is run through Dosbox, but you cannot use that as proof that Steam isn

Again, I see your point, Steam is effectively a DRM from teh consumer point of view, with or without Steamworks.

My question is, why not buy a normal retail copy? Because you don't want to keep track of those 5 activations? You don't want to have to keep track of multiple DRMs on your computer? OK. In that case, do you buy NO games with any other DRM? You do not buy any games that don't use Steam and have some form of DRM?

Again, I see your point, Steam is effectively a DRM from teh consumer point of view, with or without Steamworks.

My question is, why not buy a normal retail copy? Because you don't want to keep track of those 5 activations? You don't want to have to keep track of multiple DRMs on your computer? OK. In that case, do you buy NO games with any other DRM? You do not buy any games that don't use Steam and have some form of DRM?

Steam is DRM, period. Whether or not some developers/publishers don

Someone needs a nap, a blankie, and a bottle.

Well, yes. Thank you. If you can deliver them before my coffebreak I will have in about 2 hours time, that would be just great.

At least you take it as a poke of fun nothing serious... :lol::ermm:

A question: are those games you tested specifically games that don't use Steamworks (or whatever their DRM scheme is), or just random games you have?

Itkovian

As I said before, they are not Steamworks games. And yes, I selected them because of that.

Ahhh currently as of typing this, AP is 3rd on the Steam topseller list. :p

That's good news. Wish I could have now. :sorcerer:

But I've got a retail preordered. I like having hard copies, they can be sharpened and thrown as lethal objects.

*nod*

Itkovian