Apple iPad

Purkake

In case you missed it, the biggest event of the decade just happened, Apple announced the iPad:

apple-tablet-keynote_033.jpg

apple-tablet-keynote_041.jpg

142236-apple-creation-0384-rm-eng_500.jpg

142236-apple-creation-0378-rm-eng_500.jpg

~10 hours of battery.

10'' 1024x768 screen

Accelerometer, compass, speaker and mic.

1GHz CPU. 16, 32, or 64GB of flash storage.

802.11n, 3G(AT&T) and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.

Edited by Purkake

In case you missed it, the biggest event of the decade just happened, Apple announced the iPad:

~10 hours of battery.

10'' 1024x768 screen

Accelerometer, compass, speaker and mic.

1GHz CPU. 16, 32, or 64GB of flash storage.

802.11n, 3G(AT&T) and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.

8)

I can see where those could be handy. Or not.

It's pretty much standard in most Apple things by now, even the laptops have it.

Also it's a digital compass in case there was any confusion. It helps with the GPS navigation, which is only in the WiFI+3G models.

Edited by Purkake

It helps with the GPS navigation, which is only in the WiFI+3G models.

Okay, now it makes sense.

Fun gadged no doubt, though I think I would personally prefer a mini-laptop.

I can't believe a bloated Ipod Touch can get that much hype.

I'd much prefer something like this get the attention:

sony-vaio-zseries-2.png

https://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail....;ReleaseID=5545

A laptop with 1920x1080 resolution 13.1" screen, TWO video cards (one Intel, for long battery life and one Nvidia GT330 1 GB for gaming), FOUR RAID:ed SSD:s (256 GB) for extreme performance, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, built in WiFi + 3G + Blutooth, all in a carbon fibre chassis.. and it all weighs 1.43 kg (just over 3 lbs)! Now THAT is impressive! And yet noone seems to care..

Edit: I forgot to add that the Sony laptop even has a Core i7 processor! How insane is that?!

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Probably the most hilarious thing Apple has released yet. Yep, looks worthless to me.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It is half the price I was expecting. I will definitely buy this. It's the device I'll take to work and class every day for sure. Will wait for 3G model though.

Biggest problem with it (and this is a real gripe, unlike the douchebaggery posted above): No USB slot.

A smaller gripe is no phone or SMS capability even though it takes 3G SIMs.

Edited by Krezack

It will have a memory card adapter that goes into the dock port.

I was expecting a full OSX tablet. Not that I would buy either version.

This seems more like something that you keep on your coffee table or nightstand to read news/books and watch movies/TV shows instead of something you lug around everywhere.

Edited by Purkake

It will have a memory card adapter that goes into the dock port.

I was expecting a full OSX tablet. Not that I would buy either version.

OS X wouldn't be able to used the iPhone OS software ecosystem and market (which is the main selling point for this device, both to shareholders, consumers, and publishers). It'd also have to have code changes to run on the low-power ARM chip it uses which provides the 10+ hour battery life.

This seems more like something that you keep on your coffee table or nightstand to read news/books and watch movies/TV shows instead of something you lug around everywhere.

I think you misunderstand how light its weight is. And 10 inches is pretty small. Too big to fit in your pocket, but probably, what, A4 paper size? Smaller?

Think about carrying a Harry Potter book around with you. A mild annoyance in the sense that you need to carry something at all, but not any kind of muscle strain or burden.

I caught some of the overwhelming hype from here and there. This won't revolutionize tablet computing, it's just big iPod Touch. Which isn't exactly a bad thing, but this time the expectations were way higher than the final product.

I guess my problem is that I can do everything it does with my Touch, just on a smaller screen. Oh and speaking of screens, who thought that making it 4:3 was a good idea?

I don't really see the point, I'm not sure what use-niche it fills. It's big so it's not like an iphone 'wow it's pocket size but I can do so much stuff'. It can't multitask and has no USB, which are pretty super crucial tasks, so it's crippled if you want to use it like a laptop. Why would you want something in the middle of a netbook or high-tech phone? I mean, I guess if you find carrying 1kg netbooks around annoying..

I don't really see the point, I'm not sure what use-niche it fills. It's big so it's not like an iphone 'wow it's pocket size but I can do so much stuff'. It can't multitask and has no USB, which are pretty super crucial tasks, so it's crippled if you want to use it like a laptop. Why would you want something in the middle of a netbook or high-tech phone? I mean, I guess if you find carrying 1kg netbooks around annoying..

Well, it's Apple's answer to the Amazon Kindle and a way into the ebook market. E-ink displays are still way better for reading, though.

Secondly it's the thing that you have keep around in your home that you use to read the news in the morning at the table, surf the web on the couch and watch a movie while in bed or whatever else you can think of.

That's what I'm thinking at least, no one is going to lug it around as an ipod and it's not a full-fledged computer either.

Edited by Purkake

I'm getting one for movies and other things that are too big for my iTouch but not worth the hassle of lugging my laptop around to watch... It's just a big iTouch, but that's the point...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm getting one for movies and other things that are too big for my iTouch but not worth the hassle of lugging my laptop around to watch... It's just a big iTouch, but that's the point...

So you're basically spending over two thousand bucks just so you have the options of Small, Medium and Large?

That qualifies as 'horribly irresponsible expenditure' in my book, but fair enough, it's your money. I guess people are willing to buy in that way.

@mkreku: Why? Not even tech geeks pay $2000 for their computers.

I'm sure they don't. Especially as this one STARTS at around $4000..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!