Company of Heroes

Monte Carlo

Ha ha ha. I have invented the newest CoH spam tactic. JEEP SPAM! Yes, spend thousands of manpower points swarming crappy, extremely fast but very frail units into enemy lines.

As a tactic, it's rubbish. As a way of getting everybody else in the game going WTF? It's absolutely priceless.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Ha ha ha. I have invented the newest CoH spam tactic. JEEP SPAM! Yes, spend thousands of manpower points swarming crappy, extremely fast but very frail units into enemy lines.

As a tactic, it's rubbish. As a way of getting everybody else in the game going WTF? It's absolutely priceless.

>_<

That really would confuse the bojangles out of people. They'd probably assume it was some blindingly clever tactic and start orienting on it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

^ Indeed, on the chat function it went: WTF WTF!!! DOOD WTF!! ??? as they tried to figure out this new smurf-tastic piece of spamming. I did manage to zero in a couple of arty strikes on exposed ground (that was sort of one of the inchoate ideas swirling around my ale-addled head when I started pumping points into jeeps), I think I blew up some scenery in an impressive piece of tactical indirect fire coordination.

Anyway we won, although my jeeptruppen had nothing to do with it. Somewhere out there in CoH land there are some guys probably desperately wondering how to master jeep-spam.

But the secret is mine >_<

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am finally winning. OK, it's a bit of a spam tactic but not half as spammy as some of the stuff out there that's been kicking my arse.

This works on most maps, but relies on mobility and aggression (then again, CoH is a race that relies on mobility and aggression.

I call it Tanks & Paras and basically I copied a guy (level 10) who bashed me up on the Lyon map where I was Wehrmacht and very smug, looking at sitting pretty until I could panzer rush across two bridges simultaneously. I've adapted it a bit, and here's how it works - assume for now a small 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 map.

Airborne Company (USA) is very good. In fact, your first four command points give you AT guns and AT infantry you can drop anywhere on the map. So you don't need a motorpool and you don't need a barracks. This saves manpower that you can spend elsewhere.

Command Point Spend Early / Mid Game

* Para Inf.

* Para AT

* Scout Plane (open up map with scout in fog of war allows you to drop paras there, this is excellent for driving the enemy nuts by siezing behind the lines resource points or harrassing base raids)

Build Order

4 x Engr (2 x flame)

Weapons Support Centre ---

2 x snipers, 2 x MGs, 1 x mortar

This team can dominate / capture resource points. Let the snipers perform recce / interdiction / suppression. MGs hold buildings / cover RPs, mortar seriously ruins day of any ealry Axis infantry probes and wipes out inf suppressed by MGs.

---

By this time your para inf come online. Three squads with recoilless rifles are ample at this point, back them up with an AT gun if the enemy are playing the same game and jumping to AFVs early rather than climbing the vanilla tech tree. Keep assaulting forward, always flanking (the paras don't like frontal assaults... they are good at fire and manouver though).

The enemy will be very jumpy by this point as the para inf with recoiless rifles are very effective against armour. This will keep them at bay for a bit while you build a supply centre and armour support. Whilst the Axis are busy fighting paras (who you can reinforce in the field, keep pumping your squads up with replacements) you are building three or four shermans, throw in a flamethrower for pesky enemy At inf.

Hold a forming up / assault point and marshall your forces. By this stage you can use supply drops to cheaply buy HMGs and mortars - just crew them with para inf and top up the remainder by reinforcing. Leap frog forward and unleash your tanks. If you keep the tempo up (you really can do this tactic quickly) the enemy won't have panther or flak-cannon to shred your inf. They'll go (like some poor guy did last night when he saw the Shermans) WTF? Tanks already?

Then it's game over.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't remember paras being any good with AT. Their M18 RRs don't do much damage. Besides which aren't you looking at something like 400 munitions?

Anyway, reason I thought to post was beause I think I've nailed those bastard rangers. You need to go terror tree, but for the love of all that's good and holy don't use propaganda war. You merely retreat them back to base. Which, unless the map is huge, is a waste of munitions. No... you need firestorm, and some hapless bastards to concentrate the little sods. Get a moto and some engineers together, stroll them forwards, and the blob advances. Be sure to be near a corner for maximum bunch. Then, when they are about to mass, firetsorm, which takes only about 3 seconds to land after click. I have just been repeatedly taking bunch after bunch of them.

I still hate rangers and they should be nerfed, but it's still at least playable now.

Later on if you are feeling extravangant, you can arrange a sniper spotter to cover their base, then play the propaganda war and launch a V2 at their headquarters. This is another good way to ruin their day,

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't remember paras being any good with AT. Their M18 RRs don't do much damage. Besides which aren't you looking at something like 400 munitions?

The para inf squad costs 375 MP. You can drop them anywhere on the map, they can be 'pumped up' a bit like rangers and they can hurl satchel charges for 50 munitions. Equipping them with RRs costs 125 munitions. Two squads will easily take out a panther quickly, especially if they immobilize it and start throwing satchel charges. They are difficult to suppress when pumped up.

They ain't rangers or sumper-infantry, but they are fast, durable infantry that punch above their weight. Ostensibly the airborne look the most fragile of the three companies - no calliopes, rangers, pershings or howitzers (in fact airborne's reliance on air support late in the tech tree is a big weakness, I find myself building mortars a lot). However, used skilfully the fact is you don't really need a support company or infantry barracks and can squirt tanks out hellish quick.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The para inf squad costs 375 MP. You can drop them anywhere on the map, they can be 'pumped up' a bit like rangers and they can hurl satchel charges for 50 munitions. Equipping them with RRs costs 125 munitions. Two squads will easily take out a panther quickly, especially if they immobilize it and start throwing satchel charges. They are difficult to suppress when pumped up.

They ain't rangers or sumper-infantry, but they are fast, durable infantry that punch above their weight. Ostensibly the airborne look the most fragile of the three companies - no calliopes, rangers, pershings or howitzers (in fact airborne's reliance on air support late in the tech tree is a big weakness, I find myself building mortars a lot). However, used skilfully the fact is you don't really need a support company or infantry barracks and can squirt tanks out hellish quick.

Plus you get those supply airdrops for free munitions and weapons. I don't know why you'd be building mortars.

-Elwood Blues

^ That's what I mean, I get them in airdrops for free but I'm using lots of airdrops.

For 200 munitions you can do a air recce / strafing run combo that can really ruin the day of crewed enemy weapons, especially werfers. My record is a clear three crew werfer wipeout, although you don't destroy the arty piece, just the crewmen.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 1 month later...

I just bought it, but I'll need some time to install it. (1MB connection) Plus I'm not what I once was in the game, so I'll qet pwned easily.

That said, Id still like to play :shifty:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I'm still playing CoH and need a wingman or two. It's now crazy cheap on Steam, it's the best RTS ever and it would be great to play some of you lot online.

PM me for details.

Cheers

MC

I wouldn't say ever personally. But then I like a more strategic look at things so R.U.S.E. or whatever might be more my speed.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.