New hands on preview

Deus Ex was a shooter.

Shun the non-believer, shun!

Wah wha wha!

Really, Deus Ex was at it's core a FPS, with some stats and an inventory on top of it.

Almost like Fallout 3?

*hides from flames*

Well, almost. Fallout 3 had an open world, while Deus Ex was strictly mission based. But F3 had at least the typical exploration and quest stuff going on, which Deus Ex didn't. Deus Ex only had pirmary and secondary mission goals. No fedex stuff there.

I really liked the multiple-approach thing they did. There were almost always at least three different ways to get to the objective(usually guns ablaze/stealthy vent/gross sewer).

Yeah but those are typical characteristics of a (good) shooter. RPG means you got the C&C stuff while talking to someone. DX didn't have that.

Wah wha wha!

Really, Deus Ex was at it's core a FPS, with some stats and an inventory on top of it.

And a story that puts many an RPGs to shame, some C&C (JC, we'd appreciate if you wouldn't peek around in the women's toilet), sneaking and shooting were both viable choices. The levels were areas, with friendly or neutral NPCs, computers, billiard boards, newspapers, whatever you could mess around with, free to tackle the areas as you liked, and so on and on.

In contrast, 2009 FPS Halo ODST has...shooting and some sneaking.

DX is a shooter indeed. As is Alpha Protocol by that logic.

RPG means you got the C&C stuff while talking to someone.
I must have missed those RPGs. Edited by Oner

I really liked the multiple-approach thing they did. There were almost always at least three different ways to get to the objective(usually guns ablaze/stealthy vent/gross sewer).

Yeah but those are typical characteristics of a (good) shooter. RPG means you got the C&C stuff while talking to someone. DX didn't have that.

How many recent shooters do that? The only ones I can think of are the "open world" shooters like Crysis and Far Cry 2 and they come with their own set of problems.

There's a ton of "RPGs" which have no speech skills or even choices, starting with the dreaded JRPGs and going all the way to the action RPG Diablo-clones.

There are quests and even side-quests in DX.

Just because you define RPGs by a very narrow and weird criteria, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

For example compare STALKER with Deus Ex. STALKER clearly falls on the Shooter with RPG elements side of the fence, while Deus Ex cleverly sits in the middle. You can imagine System Shock 2 being a bit more on the RPG side for a full fence experience.

Edited by Purkake

There's a ton of "RPGs" which have no speech skills or even choices, starting with the dreaded JRPGs and going all the way to the action RPG Diablo-clones.

There are quests and even side-quests in DX.

Just because you define RPGs by a very narrow and weird criteria, doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Diablo-clones aren't Action RPGs, they have their own category and are called Hack & Slasher.

Action RPG is something like Mass Effect, AP, Jade Empire etc.

Well, that's my definition. And by my definition DX is still a FPS with more options. Heck, Warren Spector actually said that himself.

Heck, Warren Spector actually said that himself.
Nope, he didn't:
Deus Ex incorporates elements from four video game genres: role-playing, first-person shooter, adventure, and "immersive simulation", the last of which being a game where "nothing reminds you that you're just playing a game".

He also made up a nifty acronym, but I don't remember it.

Crysis doesn't offer multiple solutions, it's just a bit more open ended in the level design, but you still have a linear path for the main goal.

DX gives you here and there some choices at least.

But it ain't an RPG. Because there are no speech skills, no intimidating or charming options and stuff. And no quests.

Oh come off it. Did the Gold Box SSI games have charming skills? Did Wizardry? Did early Bards Tale titles offer all that? Many of the titles I just cited didn't have side quests either.

Deus Ex was a hybrid which means it was part RPG. The simple fact that character skill took precedence over player skill at low weapon levels is enough to separate it from the conventional shooter pack.

Oh come off it. Did the Gold Box SSI games have charming skills? Did Wizardry? Did early Bards Tale titles offer all that? Many of the titles I just cited didn't have side quests either.

Does Alpha Protocol have speech skills? No, that's what I thought. Don't think it makes it any less RPG though.