Need For Speed: Shift demo

Purkake

Ive tried the full game on the PC with my G25 wheel and my conclusions is that the only thing that keeps it centimeters away from being as good as Forza, is the menu system. Everything else is awesome. I think its the only game where the ****pit view is completely useable and not just something thats obstructing your vision. I dont like the arcade-ish way most races occur though; no qualifying, just starting from the middle and working your way to the top.

I shalle quote myself on this one because I reckon I nailed it.

"A racing game for those without taste, style, and passion. NFS : Shift is as easy as it is bland."

You're just jealous because they made a game that both looks good, and has real car physics, unlike Dirt o:)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It was all downhill after Porsche (which in my opinion was the best NFS ever made, followed closely by High Stakes).

Yes, you summed it pretty good...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

All NFS games sucked hard, but 'undercover' was so bad it was hillarious. And Interstate 76 was crap, all you ever did was drive around eachother in circles trying to outturn your enemy so you could hit him with your big guns. It was literally a flight simulator with everyone locked to the same height, a cool idea but it didnt work.

But Shift is an NFS game in name only. I mean really, they were working on a more realistic racing game to compete with Forza and Grand Turismo, and EA thought they could sell more if they called it "Need for speed", so they did.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ive tried the full game on the PC with my G25 wheel and my conclusions is that the only thing that keeps it centimeters away from being as good as Forza, is the menu system. Everything else is awesome. I think its the only game where the ****pit view is completely useable and not just something thats obstructing your vision. I dont like the arcade-ish way most races occur though; no qualifying, just starting from the middle and working your way to the top.

I shalle quote myself on this one because I reckon I nailed it.

"A racing game for those without taste, style, and passion. NFS : Shift is as easy as it is bland."

You're just jealous because they made a game that both looks good, and has real car physics, unlike Dirt :)

Shift just isn't fun, and it's certainly NOT a good looking game, with real car physics. This is a proposterious claim which isn't founded in reality Kaften, the cornering tries to act like an arcade game while the breaking tries to be sim-like. It's just a bit bland and broken.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with any other product. I went and picked up NFS : Shift expecting something that was fun, but instead all I have is a poor man's forza. The fun factor is none existant and frankly when I look at a racer I want fun first and foremost.

Shift is in my opinion exactly what I said it is, tasteless, without style, and void of passion. Too many steps away from being a simulator, and too many steps away from being arcade fun, so frankly I don't see where it fits in the market at all. To top it off the game is also far far too easy.

Is it better than all the recent NFS titles, you're damn right it is, but does it come out as a shining example of a racing game? Not really, it's a bit lackluster.

Eurogamer (Strangely enough) echo's a very similar opinion of shift as I do, and if you look at the metacritic, you will find that after all the reviews are in it ranks below ALL said competitors.

See NFS : Shift is a good effort, it's simply that there are better racing games available at the moment, and with Forza 3 and GT 5 due out soon, it genuinely is a waste of money if you want a simulator style racer, there are also far better arcade racers on the market.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Well, did you play it with a wheel and in that case, what wheel? Driving with joypad with helpers on is a completely different experience than a top notch wheel at full difficulty. Its not a thoroughbred simracer, but its not arcadey like GRID or PGR. The driving, in my opinion, is exactly like Forza, GT or old TOCA except it feels better because I have a G25 wheel to run it with.

Where GRID offered light but precise and predictable handling with a satisfying, grippy bite to it, SHIFT is a wild, tempestuous beast, prone to nervous oversteer (and not just in rear-wheel-drive cars). Steering is twitchy, and even with traction and stability controls switched on, your car maintains a tenuous relationship with the road at best. This isn't the elegant, tactile and progressive sliding of a PGR, either: it's sudden, and quite scary.

Sounds like someone has been driving the Ford GT with the default setup :lol: You lose out on a lot of input when using a joypad, when a car is about to lose traction and lift off the ground, you can feel it wobble in the wheel, but with a pad it looks like everything is fine until you suddenly shoot off the road.

When it comes to arcade driving, I like it more when its really not even trying to be realistic like GTA4 or Saints Row :D

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I like it more when its really not even trying to be realistic like GTA4...

The sad part is that I think they were trying to make the driving in GTA4 realistic.

Edit: Emphasized the wrong word.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, did you play it with a wheel and in that case, what wheel? Driving with joypad with helpers on is a completely different experience than a top notch wheel at full difficulty. Its not a thoroughbred simracer, but its not arcadey like GRID or PGR. The driving, in my opinion, is exactly like Forza, GT or old TOCA except it feels better because I have a G25 wheel to run it with.

Where GRID offered light but precise and predictable handling with a satisfying, grippy bite to it, SHIFT is a wild, tempestuous beast, prone to nervous oversteer (and not just in rear-wheel-drive cars). Steering is twitchy, and even with traction and stability controls switched on, your car maintains a tenuous relationship with the road at best. This isn't the elegant, tactile and progressive sliding of a PGR, either: it's sudden, and quite scary.

Sounds like someone has been driving the Ford GT with the default setup :o You lose out on a lot of input when using a joypad, when a car is about to lose traction and lift off the ground, you can feel it wobble in the wheel, but with a pad it looks like everything is fine until you suddenly shoot off the road.

When it comes to arcade driving, I like it more when its really not even trying to be realistic like GTA4 or Saints Row :D

Played it with a wheel on the XBox as well as with a pad on PS3.

I've given it a fair crack.

I like it more when its really not even trying to be realistic like GTA4...

The sad part is that I think they were trying to make the driving in GTA4 realistic.

Edit: Emphasized the wrong word.

Indeed, I think they were.

I did try it again with a 360 gamepad on the PC and it was most decidedly bleh. Forza, PGR and even Race07 can be alot of fun to play with a gamepad but this wasnt very nice. The controls felt very sluggish and there wasnt enough vibration to give me any hint of was going on with the car except if I hit a curb or gravel. I can understand a lot of the more negative reviews now, but it does become a completely different game with a proper wheel.

But this is the best non-sim driving game on the PC, no doubt about it. I wish MS would release Forza3 for windows so we could play it high-res with a proper wheel, the 360 wheel just doesnt cut it.

Oh yeah!

Who could forget the blocky goodness?

interstate76_012908_inline_1201650298.jpg

I remember when that was state of the art and my computer grunted and groaned trying to push all those polygons.

Meh. Going to go put my teeth in a jar now.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For you who want to try REAL racing, you should check out http://www.simbin.se/games/race_on.htm Its the most advanced publicly available racing simulator in the world, you could only go more hardcore if you went to McLaren F1 and asked to try their proprietary racing simulator.

There is http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ which is sort of open-source in that all content is use-created. But it actually uses an older version of Simbins technology, so its not as advanced. It does have some amazing stuff though, like the RealFeel FFB plugin which actually gives you real FFB calculated from the forces acting on the steering rack, so you can feel EXACTLY and with great precision what the car is up to. Its really scary when you take too much curb in an F1 car so one wheel bounces up into the air, you can literally feel the car going on three wheels... right before you crash horribly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I don't even bother with PC games anymore, well unless they're some kinda PC only thing like SOZ.

:| Seems that developer life has degenerated me down to the level of a console tard and I'm no longer worthy of being a member of the PC master race! OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE! I have a 50" Plasma TV and my 19" monitor can't compete.

I never thought I'd say this, but I don't even bother with PC games anymore, well unless they're some kinda PC only thing like SOZ.

:| Seems that developer life has degenerated me down to the level of a console tard and I'm no longer worthy of being a member of the PC master race! OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE! I have a 50" Plasma TV and my 19" monitor can't compete.

I still don't understand why people use this as an argument. There's nothing stopping you from using the TV as your monitor and using the 360 wireless controller if you can't use KB/M on the couch/whatever you sit on.

I still don't understand why people use this as an argument. There's nothing stopping you from using the TV as your monitor and using the 360 wireless controller if you can't use KB/M on the couch/whatever you sit on.

The problem is the setup. The living room is not a work area. The 50" may be great for gaming, but it's not a work monitor. I don't know anyone that would be willing to drag a full tower around just to use the big ass TV for gaming. It's possible, but it's not convenient.

Comparing a 19" monitor to a 50" plasma still isn't fair. A $1000+ TV versus $100-300 monitor? When you start tossing in comparable display set-ups, PC gaming can get quite expensive compared to console gaming, but I still wouldn't trade my dual screen solution for a larger single screen.

Edited by Deraldin

The TV isn't an arguement, I just really have no interest in anything that has been released on PC at all. It's been over a year nearly since anything has been released that has been a PC exclusive that I am interested in.

It was more that I haven't even entertained the IDEA of playing Shift on a PC. I don't specifically know why, but for some reason I prefer playing games on consoles, and I was certainly a PC fanatic for oh, atleast 15 years.

I can't think of a game that is coming out in the future that is PC only, and interests me.

My PC pretty much acts as a file server unless I'm playing something like Fallout or BG or NWN's etc...

The problem is the setup. The living room is not a work area. The 50" may be great for gaming, but it's not a work monitor. I don't know anyone that would be willing to drag a full tower around just to use the big ass TV for gaming. It's possible, but it's not convenient.

Comparing a 19" monitor to a 50" plasma still isn't fair. A $1000+ TV versus $100-300 monitor? When you start tossing in comparable display set-ups, PC gaming can get quite expensive compared to console gaming, but I still wouldn't trade my dual screen solution for a larger single screen.

Oh I have a dual screen solution all day, and at home... and a laptop I could easily hook up to the TV, I just don't see the point, I'm not getting anything extra anymore.

OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE! I have a 50" Plasma TV and my 19" monitor can't compete.

Better be a 720p TV, cause console games look like **** scaled up to 1080p. I use my 360 with my 1920x1200 monitor and its just a big smudgy with varying degrees of grain. GTA4 looks so ugly that its almost unplayable.

Depends. I honestly thought Dead Space and Prince of Persia (4) looked fantastic in 1080p.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Use cables and a wireless controller?

I can see there not really being any good pc-only games, but just for fun, here's a (overly intricate) list of PC games released or coming in 2009(with pictures).

OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE! I have a 50" Plasma TV and my 19" monitor can't compete.

Better be a 720p TV, cause console games look like **** scaled up to 1080p. I use my 360 with my 1920x1200 monitor and its just a big smudgy with varying degrees of grain. GTA4 looks so ugly that its almost unplayable.

It's 1080p. It genuinely also depends upon what you're playing. GTA 4 just looks plain ugly period.

You'll not find me arguing that a console can produce high quality visuals at the same resolution as a PC.

GFX horsepower isn't everything, if I'm playing COD I'm still running at 60 FPS, sure it could look better if I was playing it on a PC, but I frankly don't want to shell out