Obsidian, you guys gotta polish up the gameplay BEFORE Oct. '09

Oh.

I guess it varies by state and whatnot then. The Gamestops in Seattle were practically PC game-less, but that's my only actual experience. I have heard it time and again that Gamestops don't really have many PC games anymore because they can't really be resold etc.

I guess it varies by state and whatnot then.

Most likely. I live in a "college town" so the stocked titles are different from other places I've been (id est the next closest one has far fewer PC games).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I live in downtown Boston and PC games are not easy to find in stores.

The only place that is somewhat reliable is Best Buy and their selection of pc games is stil piss poor, especially compared to their miles and miles of console games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The AR is weak. Like 3 damage.

4 damage with max rifle skill. Either way I found it to be the fastest killing weapon in the game since a single mouse click to an enemy's head was enough to take down everything - including MJ12 augmented commandos (which take at least two pistol shots to the head). It helped to use a silencer mod.

So yeah, 3 dmg is deceptive.

Oh.

I guess it varies by state and whatnot then. The Gamestops in Seattle were practically PC game-less, but that's my only actual experience. I have heard it time and again that Gamestops don't really have many PC games anymore because they can't really be resold etc.

I live in Portland, Oregon (just a bit south of Seattle). Our Gamestops have PC games too..

Certainly there are more console titles lining the walls but I wouldn't say the PC sections were insignificant.

Almost nobody I've seen in the past 4 states I've lived in keeps any serious stock of PC games on the shelf anymore.

And Gamestop/EB is primarily a pawnshop these days. I refuse to purchase from them.

If for no other reason than if they offer me a "protection plan" for my game or ask if I want to buy the used version one more time, I might shoot the guy behind the counter.

Video game industry traitors, they are.

Honestly, I mostly buy digital versions for my PC purchases these days. All said and done, I've had more trouble finding old manuals/discs than I have dealing with digital copy DRM. Also, I move on a pretty regular basis and having to ship and organize less physical stuff is a good thing.

Anyhow, we're all being a bit rude to the OP by getting lost in this riveting minutia surrounding Gamestop and what kind of merchandise they stock. A much more fascinating topic was presented, again by the OP, namely: does Alpha Protocol have to be concerned with its association with 3rd person action titles?

Troll thread?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Honestly, I mostly buy digital versions for my PC purchases these days. All said and done, I've had more trouble finding old manuals/discs than I have dealing with digital copy DRM. Also, I move on a pretty regular basis and having to ship and organize less physical stuff is a good thing.

I've found digital DRM to be infinitely less intrusive.

Rather than using my optical drives as a form of hardware dongle, they just activate once online and are done.

Disc checks are just ridiculous. I was buying games and having to exchange them two or three times because the CD/DVD check was so grueling that even the real discs weren't passing the muster. Or I'd have to use no CD cracks just to get games I owned to work.

<3 online distribution.

I have never had an issue with a disc check. (nor really any DRM at all)

A disc check is still DRM, let's not mud up the definitions.

Not that I have any problems with disc checks.

EDIT: Disregard anything I said, I misread the post :(

Edited by Purkake

Nothing wrong with disc checks, except maybe if you lose the disc, but then doesn't Steam fix that problem?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Nothing wrong with disc checks, except maybe if you lose the disc, but then doesn't Steam fix that problem?

Except for when they get so out of hand that they start frying high end optical drives. Starforce ruined at least three optical drives I've owned. Thankfully they wound up causing so many problems for developers and publishers that they've largely been dropped and the current software has been scaled way back.

Of course now you have securom trying some of the same crap starforce did. Multiple checks while a game is playing and slow intentional degradation of gameplay if it starts failing checks. So if your optical drive or disc isn't PERFECT it will happily ruin your game for you and make you think it's your system crapping out. Good luck with that.

Basically any modern remotely effective disc based copy protection is so invasive that it literally has to become a rootkit and hook it's way into your operating system and many core DLL's. Effectively punishing the people who legally bought the game by invading portions of their machine and decreasing system stability notably.

Just have your game activate online with a unique CD key and register it to a specific name/account. That is enough to keep joe shmoe from handing someone else his disk AND keeps gamestop from pawning your product several times (As they lack the account name the key is attached to) without annoying things like limited activations. Which is the real problem here. Unless there is some odd deal worked out, there isn't a whole lot of difference between purchasing a used copy of a game and pirating it. Neither one supports the publisher or the developer. Which are the two groups that actually matter.

(Exception to the rule: Old games no longer in print.)

Granted even that has its issues. Like if the servers go down or the company goes out of business. There would have to be a steam-esq policy of distributing unlocked copies in the event of a company failure. It's just overall a mean situation, but I can't see any other realistic solution to the problem.

Edited by GunFox