Pre-order bonuses

You get to wait in line for hours, and witness a (harry potter spoiler)

"Snape kills Dumbledore"

incident firsthand.

Whenever I pick up a preorder I usually just go in mornings. Which is usually 1-2 hours after the store opens. The local gamestop is almost always crowded and is especially chaotic with day one buyers for big releases.

Because I know someone will post the link eventually, here's some info for you guys to chew on.

Pre-Order Bonuses

I was really excited about this game. I was really looking forward to playing it. I have freinds who are excited about this game. That is why I am so upset about this pre-order bull-****. I don't pre-order games, and I am not going to start now. Instead I am not going to purchase this game anymore. Thanks a lot for nothing. There are many other good games coming out this year that I can play online without being penalized because I didn't pre-order.

I registered on this forum just so that I could let people know. This is unacceptable. I didn't buy Battlefield: Bad Company for this reason, and now I am not going to buy Alpha Protocol either. At least in CoD:WaW I was eventually able to get all the guns in the game.

And, don't tell me that "it doesn't matter". Other guns are "just as good".

I personally use every gun in a game and eventually decide what I want to use most. Often, it is NOT the most popular gun, or even the most powerful. Some guns just fit me better then others. Sometimes, I just want to do something different. Knowing that my options are artificially and unnescessarily limited DOES make the game LESS FUN!

I was really excited about this game. I was really looking forward to playing it. I have freinds who are excited about this game. That is why I am so upset about this pre-order bull-****. I don't pre-order games, and I am not going to start now. Instead I am not going to purchase this game anymore. Thanks a lot for nothing. There are many other good games coming out this year that I can play online without being penalized because I didn't pre-order.

I registered on this forum just so that I could let people know. This is unacceptable. I didn't buy Battlefield: Bad Company for this reason, and now I am not going to buy Alpha Protocol either. At least in CoD:WaW I was eventually able to get all the guns in the game.

And, don't tell me that "it doesn't matter". Other guns are "just as good".

I personally use every gun in a game and eventually decide what I want to use most. Often, it is NOT the most popular gun, or even the most powerful. Some guns just fit me better then others. Sometimes, I just want to do something different. Knowing that my options are artificially and unnescessarily limited DOES make the game LESS FUN!

Wait, Alpha Protocol has multiplayer? Have I missed a dev diary where this was announced?

Also, you would not buy a game just because of some crappy bonus weapons that are offered with pre-orders? Seriously? :p

Edited by Deraldin

He seems pretty serious.

yea he is.......I don't pre-order games and I already miss some bonuses the previous games I brought, even I wanted to pre-order, I can't since theres no gamestop, gamecrazy etc in where I live. But after buying the game and playing it after awhile, I get over it.....:/

Serious gamer is serious.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For myself, it's certainly not a big deal.

I know preorders for games are a huge deal and they want to encourage them as much as possible, but the game I play will be the same as the game I expected to play, without zee bonus guns.

I think it would be pretty stupid if the PC did not get any pre-order bonuses. But since:

1. The pre-orders are only valid for Gamestop, a bland, uninteresting store I don't go to (and I've never even heard of Gamecrazy, so...)

2. I want the ****ing game anyway,

this will not make me buy the game from another store or make me buy the game for a console. It's sad I won't get anything since I feel I'm one of the most reliable customers for Obsidian games (I buy all games on release), and I must say that if this decision has changed my mind in any way, it only made me believe more than ever that Gamestop and TV consoles are the axis of evil in the modern games industry that must be stopped, through whatever means possible :down:

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It's not so much about the bonuses themselves, it's the fact that PC gamers aren't getting them. Piracy cannot be used as a valid excuse for this. The only way to get the bonuses from Gamestop is to pre order the game.

It just sucks to be an afterthought. :down:

I personally find it appalling that developers would use such ploys to get us to pre-order games. However, I do know a thing or two about business, and pre-order bonuses are a very good business idea.

Still, I find that I cannot choose between the two packs. You see I'm no big fan of shotguns so I know I'll never use those bonus items. Also, due to the fact that the smgs seem like they can only be duel wielded I fail to see any use for the SMG bonus items. So for each pack there is something that I just do not wish to use. Now if they made a bonus pack with the pistol and assault rifle bonuses together instead of what they have now I would pre-order immediately.

Anyway I have two questions.

If I go with one of the packs will I be able to get the other at a later date on Xbox Live? I have no problem spending 400 Microsoft points on some bonus weapons. Plus, it doesn't make any sense why they wouldn't do this if it meant they could make some extra cash.

Can anyone post the images of the bonus items? IGN's site said they had them but I couldn't find the images anywhere. Plus, gamecrazy's website seemed to be missing some images.

Edited by Fearless_Jedi

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

Trust me, I'm annoyed when I miss out on content solely because I play on the PC. I can't promise that this content will be coming to the PC, but I can ensure you guys that it'll be discussed.

I appreciate the honesty Mr. Rorie. It helps that you're a PC gamer as well (and I assume a lot of Obsidian are) Nice to know we have a voice of PC reason inside the company.

Trust me, I'm annoyed when I miss out on content solely because I play on the PC. I can't promise that this content will be coming to the PC, but I can ensure you guys that it'll be discussed.

Only discussed?

Why? Just how hard is it to add already existing content to some PC versions of the game? It'd seem the only reasons not to deploy the bonus content to PC users are arbitrary ones. :*

It's not your problem or area, but still, if it gets discussed at Obsidian that implies you guys actually have control over the decision. So what's going on there?

Only discussed?

Why? Just how hard is it to add already existing content to some PC versions of the game? It'd seem the only reasons not to deploy the bonus content to PC users are arbitrary ones. :)

It's not your problem or area, but still, if it gets discussed at Obsidian that implies you guys actually have control over the decision. So what's going on there?

That's an interesting extrapolation from me saying "it'll be discussed". This isn't something Obsidian can do autonomously.

Matthew Rorie

I strongly dislike the whole ingame pre-order bonus phenomenon. I had already preordered the game before I found out about it, and obviously I'll keep my pre-order, but if anything, these sorts of things leave a bad taste in my mouth. Pass that on to Sega if they ever ask about fan reactions.

I strongly dislike the whole ingame pre-order bonus phenomenon. I had already preordered the game before I found out about it, and obviously I'll keep my pre-order, but if anything, these sorts of things leave a bad taste in my mouth. Pass that on to Sega if they ever ask about fan reactions.

I was under the impression that the bonuses had to be activated. If that's the case, then if you don't want them, you don't have to activate them.