KOTOR and the combat queue

A suggestion for Delaware.

One of the things that bugged me about KOTOR was that the action queue appeared above each enemy (or was it above each character?) during combat. It somewhat ruined the immersion to have the interface appearing in the middle of all the action like that.

My suggestion is that you place the action queue in a fixed location at the bottom of the screen and just highlight whatever enemy is selected by placing the red circle at the enemies feet. It would save time and cursor movement if you could tab through the eenemies and simply issue commands from a single location instead of all over the screen. Also make it so you can cancel earlier commands without clearing later commands, also have a button to clear all commands.

While your at it, change the character movement to allow for click to move to location type navigation, ala NWN. And unlock the camera to allow for control of zoom and camera angle.

Don't forget to make a great story as well, because without a good story the game is not really worth playing.

Oh and tell lucasarts to let you anounce the title already, what are you waiting for, E3?

Logan

Yes, and have it make my bed, as well.

kthxbye

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I say nay.

PS: kthxbye.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Don't forget to make a great story as well, because without a good story the game is not really worth playing.

I don't think this is much of a issue with MCA on board. Although I don't know his role in Delaware for certain, I hope for engrossing dialogue and captivating characters.

I wonder if we're putting too much pressure on CA. After all, projects are usually combinations of devs' areas that they're in charge of.

CA can't single handedly influence the outcome of the game unless he's the lead or something.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I wonder if we're putting too much pressure on CA.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

CA can't single handedly influence the outcome of the game unless he's the lead or something.

No doubt, but I'm sure the rest of the team is up to snuff even if MCA isn't the lead. His "areas" are usually right on point. And if Delaware turns out to be Bombay maybe we'll be more interested in some of the other devs special talents, at lease the less known ones, and what they brought to the table.

I say nay.

To what?

Your suggestion. I prefer the interface as it is.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Speaking of the queue, I'd like to see the possibility to attack different enemies in the same sequence.

Not that it's useful, on the contrary, in my experience you best focus your damage on one foe at a time, but still, it would make the combat even more cinematic.

Ah, it's prolly a dumb idea anyway...

I would say more realistic. If you are being attacked by three bad guys you would want to keep them all on their toes, instead of just trying to kill one of them at a time.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Speaking of the queue, I'd like to see the possibility to attack different enemies in the same sequence.

Not that it's useful, on the contrary, in my experience you best focus your damage on one foe at a time, but still, it would make the combat even more cinematic.

Ah, it's prolly a dumb idea anyway...

IIRC you could do this. Hold on I'll load it up.

Yup. I choose three different enemies in a row, one flurry of attacks per enemy.

Worked like a charm.

Stupid combat interface was appearing right in the middle of the action.

KOTOR's strength lies in the cinematic experience and story, why mess it up with the combat interface right in the middle of everything?

Anyhow, probably get some more feedback once this title is announced. Will feel dumb if delaware is not KOTOR2

I thought it was a bit clunky as well.

Then again, I think all RT combat systems are clunky, it is a function of the whole twitch factor.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread 'cause of the increased traffic here.

I sure hope Obsidian manages to at least give the option of keeping the combat interface out of the middle of the screen, over the characters head.

And great, Feb 2005, just in time for my PhD thesis....way to ruin my career guys.