I have some serious reservations about this game.

Your sarcasm detector isn't broken, it's just a bad troll.
Yes, "you're a troll," definitely the most epic of all arguments.

Only difference is that you can completely avoid a video game if you don't like the content.
Pretty sure you can avoid a genocide if you don't like it. Why didn't those jews just move out of Germany (and Europe)? Hmm?
If the game seems terrible to you, don't buy it. For someone who tries to have an intelligent conversation, I don't understand why you haven't made that realization already.
Oh, so I can't complain about games I'm not going to buy, then?
And like I said, you don't have to have sex with anyone in the game.
And? You don't have to commit crimes in GTA either.
And there is no "good" or "bad" side, which is why there are no bars. You seem like a fundamentalist, a troll by nature, not by purpose. Only a fundamentalist would choose to side with the clearly defined "good" side, when in fact, good and evil is relative to the observer as I mentioned before. Or maybe you're not a fundamentalist, rather just another troll.
Ugh, yeah, all religious folks are "fundamentalists" and "trolls." Why do you insist on this persecution?

And of course, good and evil are all relative, right? Like, hey, to some people, Hitler was good and Lenin was evil, so it's obviously "relative." Rolling my eyes again.

You've broken out of your original character.

Nonetheless, good job. /salute

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Meh, I've seen much better trolls.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Okay, look, would you stop calling me a troll? It doesn't contribute anything. Even if I was a troll, it wouldn't contribute anything.

I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls.

I'm finding it difficult to imagine how you can't realise the reason why so many people are referring to you as a troll. With an opening statement like "it's gonna be bad" (which, incidentally, appears to be based on a fairly tenuous grasp of the incomplete knowledge currently available) you surely must have expected to be accused of trying to cause an argument - such an unfounded statement, supported by such stubborness in response to the few people who have decided to try an form a discussion out of this thread screams "troll" to me.

Nevertheless, if you are willing to have a decent discussion then I'll reply to some of your points.

I don't get wy you can't pick up cruddy old AK-47s off of random Saudi criminals to replace your customized M-16 (and by "replace your customized M-16" I mean "sell"). Why woulld you make this design decision, Obsidian?

I think that the answer to that is contained within the question. As you said, the AK-47s are "cruddy". Really, while a reasonable choice of weaponry for any paramilitary force, I can't imagine that these would be of any more use to Michael Thorton than his own, cutting-edge weaponry and I certainly don't understand why he'd trade this. Explain to me an advantage of allowing MT to pick up these weapons. If it was for pure realism's sake the I can't understand the appeal either. To me, the idea of a soldier/ operative/ spy or the like picking up a dead enemy's weapon to use in place of his own seems to align more with action movies than any sort of real-life tactics.

Another disadvantage of this game is that there are no clear "barrs" which inform me of whether I'm a good guy or a bad guy - without these, how am I supposed to know which one I am? I don't want to have to wade through six ours of gameplay before I see the consequences of my actions. I prefer to save and reload until I figure out which choice will give me the maximum results, am I right? (I am right, just FYI.)

You're supposed to think about your choices and think about how you want your character to act. The morality bars are usually meant as more of a reference point, not as a moral compass. It's this particular part of the post that makes me think that you're an idiot (if any particular part of the post needed to be singled out to show this.) I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in an RPG but I don't think that you're likely to find it here. Or anywhere.

I also have heard you cannot hide bodies, which seems to me to be a load of crap! Why, bodies have to be easily carried and hidden (just like in real life), that way I can stick a dude in a closet and noone will ever find his body, making it like I never killed him (just like in real life). Except I don't have to hide from him.

Moving bodies works in Splinter Cell because it's fairly slowly-paced. AP, however, is not meant to be. Stealth, of course, would mean a cautioned approach, but I really can't see the fun in adding this as a gameplay dynamic to AP. Besides, I get the impression that this sort of stealth is more takedown-and-move-one than takedown-and-clean-up-so-that-no-one-detects-you. With that in mind, I don't think that lingering around, moving bodies and attempting to hide them, while you are forced to suspend your disbelief that Serkhov has not been killed yet, would be conductive to this kind of gameplay.

Additionally, I hear that you can have sex... with multiple women, presumabli (?). This is bigamy, and it is against my religion. Why have you forsaken good, old-fashioned morals, Obsidian? I'm afraid I don't understand.

What are you, Fox news?

It's a gameplay choice. In a game. Don't like it, don't chose it. Object completely to it? Don't buy the game and get on with your life.

Edited by HanSh0t1st

If at first you don't succeed, don't try Russian Roulette...

Do I look like a reasonable man, or a peppermint nightmare?

I'm finding it difficult to imagine how you can't realise the reason why so many people are referring to you as a troll. With an opening statement like "it's gonna be bad" (which, incidentally, appears to be based on a fairly tenuous grasp of the incomplete knowledge currently available) you surely must have expected to be accused of trying to cause an argument - such an unfounded statement, supported by such stubborness in response to the few people who have decided to try an form a discussion out of this thread screams "troll" to me.

Nevertheless, if you are willing to have a decent discussion then I'll reply to some of your points.

I don't get wy you can't pick up cruddy old AK-47s off of random Saudi criminals to replace your customized M-16 (and by "replace your customized M-16" I mean "sell"). Why woulld you make this design decision, Obsidian?

I think that the answer to that is contained within the question. As you said, the AK-47s are "cruddy". Really, while a reasonable choice of weaponry for any paramilitary force, I can't imagine that these would be of any more use to Michael Thorton than his own, cutting-edge weaponry and I certainly don't understand why he'd trade this. Explain to me an advantage of allowing MT to pick up these weapons. If it was for pure realism's sake the I can't understand the appeal either. To me, the idea of a soldier/ operative/ spy or the like picking up a dead enemy's weapon to use in place of his own seems to align more with action movies than any sort of real-life tactics.

Another disadvantage of this game is that there are no clear "barrs" which inform me of whether I'm a good guy or a bad guy - without these, how am I supposed to know which one I am? I don't want to have to wade through six ours of gameplay before I see the consequences of my actions. I prefer to save and reload until I figure out which choice will give me the maximum results, am I right? (I am right, just FYI.)

You're supposed to think about your choices and think about how you want your character to act. The morality bars are usually meant as more of a reference point, not as a moral compass. It's this particular part of the post that makes me think that you're an idiot (if any particular part of the post needed to be singled out to show this.) I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in an RPG but I don't think that you're likely to find it here. Or anywhere.

I also have heard you cannot hide bodies, which seems to me to be a load of crap! Why, bodies have to be easily carried and hidden (just like in real life), that way I can stick a dude in a closet and noone will ever find his body, making it like I never killed him (just like in real life). Except I don't have to hide from him.

Moving bodies works in Splinter Cell because it's fairly slowly-paced. AP, however, is not meant to be. Stealth, of course, would mean a cautioned approach, but I really can't see the fun in adding this as a gameplay dynamic to AP. Besides, I get the impression that this sort of stealth is more takedown-and-move-one than takedown-and-clean-up-so-that-no-one-detects-you. With that in mind, I don't think that lingering around, moving bodies and attempting to hide them, while you are forced to suspend your disbelief that Serkhov has not been killed yet, would be conductive to this kind of gameplay.

Additionally, I hear that you can have sex... with multiple women, presumabli (?). This is bigamy, and it is against my religion. Why have you forsaken good, old-fashioned morals, Obsidian? I'm afraid I don't understand.

What are you, Fox news?

It's a gameplay choice. In a game. Don't like it, don't chose it. Object completely to it? Don't buy the game and get on with your life.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Oh, so I can't complain about games I'm not going to buy, then?

Yeah, I mean really, unless someone was constantly nagging you to buy it. What person goes on a forum for the game just to complain about it when they're not even going to buy it?

And? You don't have to commit crimes in GTA either.

Uhh, then don't if you don't want to. But consider the whole point of GTA is to look at things from a criminal's point of view.that's why people buy it.

Ugh, yeah, all religious folks are "fundamentalists" and "trolls." Why do you insist on this persecution?

When did I ever say all religious people are fundamentalists? Find where I specifically said that. I myself am religious, for the record, but let's not change the topic.

And of course, good and evil are all relative, right? Like, hey, to some people, Hitler was good and Lenin was evil, so it's obviously "relative." Rolling my eyes again.

Yeah, pretty much. If some people didn't think Hitler or Lenin were doing what they thought was good, those two people would have NEVER gotten as far as they did and committed their crimes against humanity. To their followers, he was good. Does that mean I agree with them? Not at all. All it means is that what someone sees as good is almost always seen as bad by someone else, and vice versa.

Meanwhile, you go on a forum for a game you don't even plan to buy just to harass the members in a condescending and completely immature and un-knowledgeable manner.

This thread is probably going to be locked soon.

Oh and, the Jews couldn't avoid a genocide because the borders were closed to them and it's hard to get out of Europe when almost all of it is occupied by Nazis. Duh.

lol, your trolling is so obvious that I just had to ignore it and respond. :)

Oh and, the Jews couldn't avoid a genocide because the borders were closed to them and it's hard to get out of Europe when almost all of it is occupied by Nazis. Duh.

Wait...

wut?

Edited by Oblarg

Yeah, I mean really, unless someone was constantly nagging you to buy it. What person goes on a forum for the game just to complain about it when they're not even going to buy it?
"Take your opinions elsewhere on the internet!" you say. Pfft, I say. That is the same argument that YouTube LPers use to justify their atrocious LPs.
Uhh, then don't if you don't want to. But consider the whole point of GTA is to look at things from a criminal's point of view.that's why people buy it.
Which was my point too. Yeah, you don't have to have sex with multiple women, but why would you play the game if you weren't going to?
When did I ever say all religious people are fundamentalists? Find where I specifically said that. I myself am religious, for the record, but let's not change the topic.
You said I was a fundamentalist.
Yeah, pretty much. If some people didn't think Hitler or Lenin were doing what they thought was good, those two people would have NEVER gotten as far as they did and committed their crimes against humanity. To their followers, he was good. Does that mean I agree with them? Not at all. All it means is that what someone sees as good is almost always seen as bad by someone else, and vice versa.
Those "two" people? What "crimes against humanity" did Lenin commit, exactly? Overthrowing the reactionary Provisional Government which had purposefully delayed elections and failed to end the war with Germany?
The reason I opened with "it's going to be bad" is because when people say "I'm worried about X, Y, Z and F" they mean "I don't think this game is going to be any good," and I wanted to just cut to the chase. "Sorry."
Uh, so he can sell him? Didn't you read my post? I specifically said that's why.
Oh, so it's only if I'M "willing to have a decent discussion," Mr. "Calls the other guy an idiot"?
"Stealth is waiting," buddy. If you don't have patience, don't use stealth.
What are you, Fox news?

Maybe I enjoy this sort of frank criticism of video games, even if I don't find a game particularly appealing? Did you ever consider that?

Wait...

wut?

Errr, sorry, I meant that it was so obvious that I felt the need to ignore the fact that he is a troll and respond as if he wasn't one. It's weird.

But anyway, At this point after reading his latest response, I think it's best if we don't talk to him. Then he'll go away. :)

Errr, sorry, I meant that it was so obvious that I felt the need to ignore the fact that he is a troll and respond as if he wasn't one. It's weird.

But anyway, At this point after reading his latest response, I think it's best if we don't talk to him. Then he'll go away. :)

Let us suppose, for a moment, that I am a troll. I am obviously rather intelligent and aware of the game (if I do say so myself). As such, it seems to me that this hypothetical troll-me would actually be quite well informed of the game, perhaps even to the point of being a regular poster using a proxy. But which regular poster? Well, obviously, Walsingham.

Of course, I am neither Walsingham, nor a troll, so this thought exercise is useless... or is it?*

* It is.

Wait...

wut?

You want him to go away?

Let us suppose, for a moment, that I am a troll. I am obviously rather intelligent and aware of the game (if I do say so myself). As such, it seems to me that this hypothetical troll-me would actually be quite well informed of the game, perhaps even to the point of being a regular poster using a proxy. But which regular poster? Well, obviously, Walsingham.

Of course, I am neither Walsingham, nor a troll, so this thought exercise is useless... or is it?*

* It is.

GODDAMNIT.

I ****ING HATE YOU.

I lose.

I hadn't lost in WEEKS.

You just killed my evening. I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED!

Meanieface.

GODDAMNIT.

I ****ING HATE YOU.

I lose.

I hadn't lost in WEEKS.

You just killed my evening. I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED!

Meanieface.

The game the game the game THE GAME the game THE GAME The Game the Game THE GAME the game the GaMe tHE gAME.

Now, if this particular tangent is quite over with, can we get back on topic?

Yes, agreed.

Alpha Protocol will suck balls since it still has unlimited ammo.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Worst. Troll. Ever.

I wish I could hand you an award or something.

Assuming, for a moment, that I am a troll (which I'm not), how do you explain the PM I got from a dev who said my "trolling" was "hilarious"? Hmm? I think the evidence shows it is you who is the worst troll ever.

lol, Can you show us this PM?

I'm actually beginning to enjoy how no matter what anyone says, you manage to completely nullify it. I gotta give you props on your trolling skills. :rolleyes:

But can you show us this PM of which you speak?

lol, Can you show us this PM?

I'm actually beginning to enjoy how no matter what anyone says, you manage to completely nullify it. I gotta give you props on your trolling skills. :rolleyes:

But can you show us this PM of which you speak?

I can, but I'm not totally sure about PM etiquette, so, uh, I'm not going to post it.

Guys, he's right, face it.