The right to vote in a meritocratic society

Pope

My professor told me to deepen my subject rather than broaden it, so I'll be leaving out the weighted voting parts and just focus on meritocracy, using Plato's Republic, Michael Young's The Rise of Meritocracy and John Rawls' Theory of Justice.

Why not have it that only a person who has served a minimum of 2 years in military service can vote, and only those who have served a minimum of 6 years in military service can hold public office? Those found guilty of a felony lose their right to vote and hold public office until their debt to society is paid and spend 2 or 4 more years of military service again. Democratic and meritocratic. Best of both worlds.

:*

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Um... that kind of assumes that only people who've been in the military have any value. That's clearly bollocks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Um... that kind of assumes that only people who've been in the military have any value. That's clearly bollocks.

Are you saying that a person who volunteers to serve their country and ready to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of his or her country has no more value than a welfare mom with 8 kids, bleeding her country's resources dry?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

So what you're saying is that there are only two kinds of people. Men and women of the armed forces and lowlifes. None of the hardworking people who make everything function? If I contribute something of value to society, but I was never in the military, I'm screwed.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Are you saying that a person who volunteers to serve their country and ready to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of his or her country has no more value than a welfare mom with 8 kids, bleeding her country's resources dry?

But what if those kids grow up to be soldiers? :huh:

There are doors

Obviously you missed the smiley in the original post, Awesomeness. It was a jab at Robert Heinlien's Starship Troopers.

You guys are way too serious.

Probably. I miss a lot of things and take most of what I do much of what I do too seriously.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Obviously you missed the smiley in the original post, Awesomeness. It was a jab at Robert Heinlien's Starship Troopers.

You guys are way too serious.

My post wasn't a jab at Heinlein, who is clearly a prophet. Apart from the bit with the bugs, of course.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Are you saying that a heart surgeon who saves three people a day is worthless compared to me? Or that Einstein was worthless compared to you? I know plenty of great military types and plenty of **** career ****. but that doesn't make any difference.

As well you know. BUt you're pretending you don't for the sake of the case.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.