Power Supply Assistance

Spider

So I recently bought new parts for my computer. A pretty hefty upgrade, but I still thought my old PSU would be able to keep up. Turns out I was wrong. The damned thing can hardly boot, it freezes during post. And on the few occasions I manage to get past that, it freezes during OS install.

I've tried pretty much everything, until I figured it must be the PSU that is the culprit. So I took the computer down to a friend with a better PSU and there everything worked like a charm.

So now I need to get a new one obviously. This is where I need help. Since I apparently haven't paid attention to PSU:s for a while I don't even know how much power I need. I've tried using online calculators, but they give wildly different results.

Anyway, here is what I've got:

Asus P5N-T motherboard (Nvidia 780i circuits)

Intel E8400 processor

EVGA 9800GTX GPU (Bios overclocked to 800MHZ instead of 675)

2 DDR2 sticks

The largest factor in this is without a doubt the GFX, so what you need to do is find out how much power in terms of watt and ampere it needs and use that as a minimum requirement of your new PSU. And since the 9800GTX requires two six-pin PCIe connectors running on dual rails, you have to get a quad-rail PSU if you want to be able to use SLi.

The Antec truepower quatro looks pretty sweet http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=27850 its modular with quad rails, probably quiet for a hulk-PSU too

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Also remember that you should not just go out and by the first 1kW PSU that you can find. The important part isn't on how much the PSU can take in, rather the output it can achieve. For example, one of my earlier PSUs had an input of 425W, which should've been enough. However, it could only outuput about 250W to the system, leaving me with many spontanious reboots. Then i got a 550W, but it was a cheap model and the problems continued to be the same. Finally, i got a more expensive one with the same poweroutput (550W), and the problems stopped + my electric bill actually went down with a couple of euros per month. A good powersupply usually costs between 100-150

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My PSU doesn't show the rating on the case exterior. Can I work this out from the software end? I'm dubious about having enough power.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You can check the ampere, its as good a measure as any. A good normal 450watt PSU should be able to push ~30a at 12v

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You can check the ampere, its as good a measure as any. A good normal 450watt PSU should be able to push ~30a at 12v

OK> Imagine just for a moment that I'm a technological imbecile...

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well you could try searching google for an app that would let you measure your PS output. I don't think you will find any, that sort of thing requires hardware support IIRC. My advice would be to open the system up and take a look. If all else fails you could look around the manufacturer's website and see if you can spot the model there.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

OK> Imagine just for a moment that I'm a technological imbecile...

hehe... <insert obvious tard joke here>, ahem. ;)

it may not be listed in an obvious "this rail has this many watts" manner, but there should be SOME sticker on the outside of the case. it should list all the voltage rails as well as their current capacity, e.g., 5 V: 10 A, etc.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Also, I really, really want to get a modular PSU.

meh. i have one and it's not nearly as good as the sliced bread these things are compared to. i still ended up with a mess in my case.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yeah, in the end I ended up connecting ALL the loose cables to it. I was hoping I'd use two or three.. Yeah, right.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You're all trying to get me electremified.

-Elwood Blues