The Credit Card Prank

Tale

I carry cash only because people give it to me for birthdays and holidays. The 5 sitting in my wallet has been there since the middle of March.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

We use a small computer chip in the Visa, Master and normal credit cards, so you can't forge the magentic strip (which is also on the cards) + you have to use a PIN number. Only a handful of shops require you to sign it instead these days.

I always thought the signing was there to give you a way of refuting a certain purchase to the card company. Not to specifically verify your identity - hence the reason shops don't really care.

Fortune favors the bald.

I just read an article about how stores legally can't do anything if you refuse to show them ID. They can't refuse the sale, and you have no actual obligation to show an ID. It's written into the Visa and Mastercard contract.

Have a link, Hurly? I wouldn't mind reading that.

At least once a month I have to deal with an irate customer who refuses to show their ID . If they're so offended by it, they should just use their debit card or cash and quit the bitching.

I read it in a real newspaper. Old school, I know :ermm:

http://www.mercurynews.com/actionline/ci_9...?nclick_check=1

Found it!

Here are the rules:

• MasterCard: A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has properly presented a valid card refuses to provide an ID.

Retailers may require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes.

See www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/MERC-Entire_Manual.pdf)

MasterCard has an online form for reporting merchant violations of this rule. Go to www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html and check the box: "The merchant/retailer required identification."

• Visa: Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, retailers cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance.

Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures.

edit: Visa link: usa.visa.com/download/merchants/rules_for_visa_merchants.pdf.

Edited by Hurlshot

I know a candy shop in Denton that won't accept credit cards if the purchase is under a certain amount. I've seen some stores that charge extra fees for credit card processing. I know at least one of those two practices is forbidden by those agreements.

The same goes for debit cards in some shops around here. If you have a link, Tale, could you share it? I really hate to get cash just to use said shop, primarily because the closest cashpoint is 7mins from here by bus...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Don't have a link, though I might be able to scrounge one up if I take time. My "know" is actually "heard."

I was under the impression they all did.

First time I read that Zug prank a few years ago, I cracked up. Even if it's not true 100% of the time, it's true enough to be hilarious...and kinda scary.

It all depends on store and the person behind the counter. ie, it's likely easier to get away with such stuff in Target than in Tiffany. I've had people who peered at my sig/drivers license as if they were CSI, and I've had people who didn't ask for ID or even look at my card or my signature.

Hubby's one-time boss once gave him his credit card to make a business purchase with, and hubby tried to sign his own name - I'd guess because he was uncomfy with forging his bosses siggy even if he had permission, since he didn't want to be arrested. :lol: The store called him on it tho, so it didn't work.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I always (ALWAYS) sign my own name when using a credit card that's not mine.