The Byron Review

Have anyone ever actually made a study trying to figure out the potential harm that TV and violent movies can have on children?

Fixed, same difference >_<

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The bottomline, when it comes tot he media and and information, what is shown to children is the responsibility of the parent. NO ONE ELSE.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I have to say that I think the issue of violence in games isn't really important at all. Or rather, it's about as important as violence in movies, or violent music lyrics, or violence in books, or playing cops and robbers. The point is that if, say, 12 year old kids have trouble distinguishing between make-believe violence and real violence, their parents have bigger things to worry about in their kid's development than violent games.

On the other hand, to take a more extreme example, if a 4 or 5 year old is playing, say, Manhunt, I also don't understand how that might not be exclusively the parents' fault, with or without the existence of government mandated age raitngs.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The bottomline, when it comes tot he media and and information, what is shown to children is the responsibility of the parent. NO ONE ELSE.

1. So if the parent failz, screw the kid? That's going to do so much good for society.

2. So if the parent is a tinfoil oddball with wacky beliefs about media and information, their ownership of their children are such that the government should just let the parents, for example, show them Saw IV at age three?

Only time the government should intervene is when the parent loses custody of the child and the child becomes ward of the state. Up to that point, the government has no right to tell how a parent raises his or her kid. If the parent "failz" then the child should be taken away from the parent, and any subsequent children thereafter as well, but that should only happen in cases of abuse and neglect.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I try to convince myself Sand isn't the problem and that his extremely literal, morally black and white attitude is fairly common in America*, but that just frustrates me even more.

*which interestingly is true - brain development is influenced strongly by culture, and America appears to strongly favour literal, absolute judgements.