How do you cheer up a soldier abroad?

Kaftan Barlast

It's 90% being told to hurry up and wait, 5% trying to find a decent latrine, 3% pr0n or talking about pr0n, and 2% pants-wetting terror. Then you get hit by indirect fire. I have this verified by several relatives, and two ex-girlfriends.

Right on the money.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

walshie, you make a life in the service sound like such an appealing career move :o

:p Don't forget that as a cricketer, 90% waiting around is perfectly fun.

Seriously though, joining the Army for giggles is never going to work out well... Now, joining it to do a job, well fair enough.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never join the military on a coin toss.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

walshie, you make a life in the service sound like such an appealing career move :o

:) Don't forget that as a cricketer, 90% waiting around is perfectly fun.

you know, i've never understood how people can go watch a test cricket game :p

i mean, if you're playing, there might be the rare chance someone would hit the ball in your direction

but if you're spectating, you're just.... watching guys stand around for hours on end...

and i suppose if i was trying to cheer up a buddy fighting overseas, i'd send them some photos or something

though i do think sending over the local newspaper is a good idea too :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Given that hitting a six means hitting a ball over the boundary there's every chance of a ball heading in your direction as a spectator. In any event, watching cricket is an event, rather than a sports watching thing. Or should be. One goes to sit in a deckchair, drink pimms or tea or beer, and chat. It's basically like going fishing, but without any danger of having to exert yourself.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dude, you're mental. You think conventional war is nothing but charging around in a FPS? It's 90% being told to hurry up and wait, 5% trying to find a decent latrine, 3% pr0n or talking about pr0n, and 2% pants-wetting terror. Then you get hit by indirect fire. I have this verified by several relatives, and two ex-girlfriends.

I too have relitives who have said exactly the same thing.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

walshie, you make a life in the service

and i suppose if i was trying to cheer up a buddy fighting overseas, i'd send them some photos or something

though i do think sending over the local newspaper is a good idea too :)

Neat idea on the local paper. Nothing to make them laugh like that, I'd imagine. Also, if you send fod, keep in mind that things break or get soaked. Individually wrapped sweets are quite good, provided they don't melt.

-Elwood Blues

wouldn't you have to be kinda careful sending food over though?

what with customs laws and everything

i mean, i know here in nz you can't bring in things like honey and stuff

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I will tell you from my own experience...

My favorite care packages are the ones that had chocolate chip cookies in them. They keep pretty good.

Now if this person in deployed out in the field, combat, combat support, whatever, then here is a list of things they would probably REALLY like:

Baby wipes

Batteries for portable electronics (Gameboys, whatever)

Powdered supplements for water (healthy ones, not necessarily kool-aid)

If they are in a wet environment, baby powder can be nice too.

toothpaste

deodorant

The baby wipes and baby powder sound weird I know, but believe me, it really helps out in the hygiene.

You can probably also search on Google and find some good care package ideas too.

One time, my friend in Texas sent me PRESERVED fajitas, which was pretty awesome.

The study of history is a powerful antidote to contemporary arrogance. It is humbling to discover how many of our glib assumptions, which seem to us novel and plausible, have been tested before, not once but many times and in innumerable guises; and discovered to be, at great human cost, wholly false.

--Paul Johnson

Bang on about the talcum powder (/baby powder). Keep your feet and other bits dry, so I'm told. I don't know about the US Army, but we Brits are absolutely packed out with AA batteries. Most modern kit uses them, and you get scads of them.

Don't worry about local customs. Stuff gets flown in by special delivery. Just don't bother sending booze. You'll only get teh pooor buggers into trouble. I think. It really depends where they are, and what their CO is like.

-Elwood Blues

Patton didn't.

Patton was a falsetto voiced jackass. My grandfather encountered an American officer who emulated Patton with his revolvers, on D-Day. They were receiving 88 fire, and Grandad mildly remarked "What are you all got up like that for? D'you think there's a war on?"

-Elwood Blues