Hunting for a book

Corith

I'm in desperate need of help . .. no, that that kind. I'm looking for a specific book.

The story was an urban fantasy set in a world where Harold survived the crossbow bolt to his eye at Hastings which resulted in more magic in the world. The setting is a detective novel, and I thought it was in the 1930s of this alternative history.

I do remember the cover being a male hand on a back ground with a pentagram on the palm.

There was one sequel.

Edited by Corith

Only Harold I know of in fiction has a tree growing out of his head and looking for thingies.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Did he make an account in 2004 and wait three years just to ask us about a book?

And why does he have zero posts? THERE'S ONE RIGHT THERE!

I'd guess he is a lurker.

Because this is Way Off Topic, you doofus.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, I tried to help before, but when I tried a few clever (or not) googles, they came up with, uh, Harold and Kumar in White Castle.

So yeah, no idea. Meanwhile, book hunting eh? How about this.

Some people might know of Jeff Smith's Bone comic series. It's in our local library, or some of it, and I love it - can't get it till I bother to get a credit card or get someone in the US to, though. Anyway, that's fine.

A few years ago, I read a comic in the library; it had, from my (admittedly confused) memory, a similar art style to Bone; my memory suggests it might have been one of those small add-on stories to a Bone book or something, but searching the Bone book pile in the library has yielded nothing. The story was a rather oddball and light one, telling the story of amoeba-like creatures that live underground. The entire 'world' was just a small 'island' of sorts; a small portion of the landmass floating above some sea, and inside the undersea portion of that landmass, lived these weird amoeba things. I think the story even begins from what looked like some sort of unicellular primordial sea. Anyway, it was quite charming and I'm wodnering by a super long shot if anybody even knows what I'm talking about.

Ahey!

I recognise the name and the avatar from my lurking at NMA, but I don't recognise the book description.

The plot sounds superficially similar to Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader though :bat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm in desperate need of help . .. no, that that kind. I'm looking for a specific book.

The story was an urban fantasy set in a world where Harold survived the crossbow bolt to his eye at Hastings which resulted in more magic in the world. The setting is a detective novel, and I thought it was in the 1930s of this alternative history.

I do remember the cover being a male hand on a back ground with a pentagram on the palm.

There was one sequel.

Ithink I remember it. Was that the one where Merlin was the root cause of the trouble? He'd gone back in time and treated Harold with penicillin or something?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I know the OP's feeling. I posted in the "what did you do today" about my monthly obsession trying to remember a book I read in middle school. I actually think it was a sci-fi trilogy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Found it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Darcy_(fiction)

it wasn't harold - it was Richard who didn't die

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1512335

And, to answer that burning question. Yes, I signed up 3+ years ago, and just now made my first post. I was looking to contact a friend at Obsidian after the fall of Interplay, and only now saw the need to post.

Found it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Darcy_(fiction)

it wasn't harold - it was Richard who didn't die

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1512335

And, to answer that burning question. Yes, I signed up 3+ years ago, and just now made my first post. I was looking to contact a friend at Obsidian after the fall of Interplay, and only now saw the need to post.

Good man! Pleased to hear you got it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.