Who is Atris?

Wait a second; there is no 'quote'! It's all a myth that we've made up....

Nightcleaver said this on June 19

Someone said her name was slipped a while back - a lot of people actually, though maybe just because they heard it from the few that saw it. At the time her name was something like "Atris".

By August 11, this is still all we know about 'Atris'

The only time a dev. mentioned the name is when Akari said "That's not Atris" -referring to the in-game shot of the girl with the blue lightsaber and white hood.

So:

FACT: There is the White Haired Girl on the Concept Art

FACT: She is the earliest KOTOR II that character that we've been introduced to, along with the Masked Guy -who, likewise, is still a mystery

FACT: There is a character named 'Atris' in the game

MYTH: It is said that on an erased early post by a dev., the name 'Atris' was used to designate the white haired girl on the concept art.

Ok then let's talk about the White Haired Girl, whatever her name is! But then again there's already a full thread on speculations pertaining to her.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

MYTH: It is said that on an erased early post by a dev., the name 'Atris' was used to designate the white haired girl on the concept art.

Nope, it was a FACT. I saw the post. TripleRRR did as well if I recall. Among others.

Also that would mean that we have 2 jedi that both dress in all white and who look similar. Dont you think that is strange?

I think, just a guess, that it is a jedi with one of the new robes with a hood.

Wait a second; there is no 'quote'! It's all a myth that we've made up....

Nightcleaver said this on June 19

Someone said her name was slipped a while back - a lot of people actually, though maybe just because they heard it from the few that saw it. At the time her name was something like "Atris".

By August 11, this is still all we know about 'Atris'

The only time a dev. mentioned the name is when Akari said "That's not Atris" -referring to the in-game shot of the girl with the blue lightsaber and white hood.

So:

FACT: There is the White Haired Girl on the Concept Art

FACT: She is the earliest KOTOR II that character that we've been introduced to, along with the Masked Guy -who, likewise, is still a mystery

FACT: There is a character named 'Atris' in the game

Ok then let's talk about the White Haired Girl, whatever her name is! But then again there's already a full thread on speculations pertaining to her.

I'll agree with all that.

I think it would be safer to refer to her as the white haired girl atleast until her name is comfirmed. But she must be a pretty important character if they are being that secretive!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Nope, it was a FACT. I saw the post. TripleRRR did as well if I recall.

The question is did u get the name right?

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Nope, it was a FACT. I saw the post. TripleRRR did as well if I recall.

The question is did u get the name right?

:rolleyes:

If it's off, I doubt it was off by much (unless they have since changed tha name). As I said, several people saw it.

We may or may not believe the testimony of the early Forum Fathers who saw the name, and wrote the Good News for us. Here's something else:

Now a couple of weeks back I tried to search where the name could be deriving from, here is what I found and posted:

I was curious and tried to find out from where the name Atris could be deriving. I couldn't find anything certain but here's something interesting:

ater, atra -um, atrior -or -us, aterrimus -a -um ADJ

black, dark; dark-colored (hair/skin); gloomy/murky; unlucky; sordid/squalid;

deadly, terrible, grisly (esp. connected with underworld); poisonous: spiteful

the ablative declension for female plural appears to be: Atris

this hardly makes any sense because it's plural; and though I don't speak Latin, as far as I understand, ablative declension comes after a preposition in a sentence, so it doesn't stand alone.

If the author of TSL had this connection in mind, then the best thing that comes to my mind is that 'Atris' derives either from the Latin word for 'sad', 'gloomy', 'unfortunate', or weird though it sounds, 'dark', 'poisonous', 'spiteful', etc. -albeit the derivation is grammatically unsound.

In any case for a fantasy-character, Atris sounds better than 'Atra'

Forgive me for this post of ignorance; anyone who speaks Latin is more than welcome to assess Atris as a somewhat-Latin-derived word. Online resources always return 'Dark, Gloomy' for similar sounding words like Atrus, Atrum, Atra (female singular), etc.

So I repeat: Anyone who at least has a notion of Latin or Greek -does the name Atris ring a bell?

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

Mayby the name Atris is just a rumor, spreaded by a 12-year old boy, wanting attention.  :rolleyes:

:D very possible!

We may or may not believe the testimony of the early Forum Fathers who saw the name, and wrote the Good News for us. Here's something else:

Now a couple of weeks back I tried to search where the name could be deriving from, here is what I found and posted:

I was curious and tried to find out from where the name Atris could be deriving. I couldn't find anything certain but here's something interesting:

ater, atra -um, atrior -or -us, aterrimus -a -um ADJ

black, dark; dark-colored (hair/skin); gloomy/murky; unlucky; sordid/squalid;

deadly, terrible, grisly (esp. connected with underworld); poisonous: spiteful

the ablative declension for female plural appears to be: Atris

this hardly makes any sense because it's plural; and though I don't speak Latin, as far as I understand, ablative declension comes after a preposition in a sentence, so it doesn't stand alone.

If the author of TSL had this connection in mind, then the best thing that comes to my mind is that 'Atris' derives either from the Latin word for 'sad', 'gloomy', 'unfortunate', or weird though it sounds, 'dark', 'poisonous', 'spiteful', etc. -albeit the derivation is grammatically unsound.

In any case for a fantasy-character, Atris sounds better than 'Atra'

Forgive me for this post of ignorance; anyone who speaks Latin is more than welcome to assess Atris as a somewhat-Latin-derived word. Online resources always return 'Dark, Gloomy' for similar sounding words like Atrus, Atrum, Atra (female singular), etc.

So I repeat: Anyone who at least has a notion of Latin or Greek -does the name Atris ring a bell?

I dont think the devs go into that much detail when picking a name.

...if it really derives from 'deadly' and 'terrible', maybe it's the name of the guy in the mask!

Darth Atris???

Or maybe...just maybe......the snow-white jedi is more than meets the eye.....

....she's a Transformer!

Oh which 1? I loved transformers? :D

I dont think the devs go into that much detail when picking a name.

Still it's not categorically ruled out; someone on the Sion thread wrote a very convincing account for how Malak and Revan may come from Hebrew

That does not mean that the person who picked those name knew or even cared about what they meant in hebrew! :rolleyes:

It may very well be derived from what you say, but think about this - maybe her life is gloomy, maybe any number of things about her are gloomy, or maybe the name's designed to bring to mind some painful contrast of her personality and environment, or perhaps as some sort of Cinderellan signature to contrast her with the opposite of what she is. Hmm... evil queen/step mom gives her a mean name, and the PC discovers the real person inside :rolleyes: Well, that's pretty far-fetched, but they use imagination just as we do.

To me, though, it just sounds like a cool name. Knowing all the limitations of sound combinations that actually sound good as attached to a person, it seems reasonable to say that it's just a coincidence. The similarity of the female form of that latin word to Atris is striking, but that could have a lot to do with the dev's naming a female character. The regular form really looks nothing like 'Atris', and like you said, Malak mean's water buffalo or somesuch in Turkish - so what does it mean, if anything? They might have actually taken her name from some far-off swedish dialect :lol:

Anyway, no one has the intention of really saying that she's atris - not that I think - just as we don't really know that she'll be romanceable. We assume that, though, and it's easy to see why. Mission was pretty, though, but she was 14 and thus not romanceable - in a couple pictures, Atris looks comparatively young, (in myopinion) not to mention like a very up-standing Jedi sort. So there's a chance she's not romanceable, but should that stop us? Just continuing along the line of thought that she IS romanceable doesn't mean that we assume she is, though many times people forget that there's a chance she isn't in all their speculation. I'll admit that even I have forgotten the possibility that that isn't even her name, but until then that's the nicer and easier thing to call her. So what if she's not romanceable? So what if she's not really Atris? We'll still end up thinking both things, though I'd be surprised if anyone argued against the possibility of her not being Atris :)

The "other Jedi character in white" also appears in the trailer dressed in brown. We only see a 1/4 or so profile each time, but to me her complexion looks darker.

Just a theory --

Since we know some other characters from KOTOR I are returning AND can join your party in addition to the droids, (ask Akari about that one) I would suggest that this character is:

Either Bastila or Juhani.

Once again, just a theory.

"You shall not pass!"

I've lots of time to spare on the WHC tonight.

This is from the 'Mysterious Metamorphosis' thread:

Has anybody already catched his/her eye on the kotor2 cover picture at lucasart's webpage? What mystery could be behind the metamorphosis of the white haired jedi becoming a sith?

Maybe this is because teaching your own apprentice went wrong.

Or am I over-interpreting that issue?  :p

Chris Avellone's answer below:

It's more likely that it's just a maketing gimmick, showing of the extremes for each part of the 'side'.

Hypothetically, that's probably it.

When I first read it I though he asserts her being a representative of the 'extreme LS' --just as the Masked Guy would be the extreme DS, i.e. the strongest Sith Lord. That's why I came to think she's a priviledged party member, being an 'extreme Jedi' (!)

The next time Avellone refers to the WHC is this:

I knew something like this was coming, much like the KOTOR 20 min video preview last year.

Like I said before, I'm not going to view anything like this cause I don't want to be spoiled.

BTW, it isn't like this is going to change my mind to make me view it, but how long is the video?

From what I saw, there weren't really any spoilers. It showed that new bounty hunter, Mira, in action, as well as I think the white haired Jedi. None of the plot or storyline was shown, and none of the end bosses or returning NPCs were shown.

Yeah, the E3 demo "storyline" had nothing to do with the K2 game - it was a conscious decision.

The white-haired chick in the demo isn't Arren Kae - it's just one of the female PC heads you can choose. I don't think the "white haired chick" was in any of the E3 levels, and if she was, then she's a sneaky one.

Which doesn' reveal anything of course.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

Indeed, it just raises more questions...

In the end, they won't even put her in the game :p , and we'll finally figure out both character's were just a gimmick to make us think they were writing a story for the game all along, when really it'll all just be a REALLY LONG pazaak tournament - with cheetos and fancy graphics, of course.

Yumm... CHEETOS!!

Just a theory --

Since we know some other characters from KOTOR I are returning AND can join your party in addition to the droids, (ask Akari about that one) I would suggest that this character is:

Either Bastila or Juhani.

Once again, just a theory.

I don't think it would be Juhani. Akari said this in Weekend Programmer-

I don't find this entirely surprising, becuase Juhani could have wound up dead by the end of KOTOR.  I've been thinking that it wouldn't make much sense if any character who could be dead by the end of KOTOR would be able to join the party in TSL, but might make cameos.  So, I'm thinking Canderous, HK & T3 (T3's already confirmed), would be the only characters who might be available to join the party.

I know you can't confirm or deny any of my above thoughts, Akari, but am I on the right track here?

On the right track... I might point out that the NPCs that may appear in the game may be affected by how you answer the questions near the beginning that explain how the first game's story went for you...

-Akari

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

I don't think it would be Juhani. Akari said this in Weekend Programmer-

On the right track... I might point out that the NPCs that may appear in the game may be affected by how you answer the questions near the beginning that explain how the first game's story went for you...

-Akari

He does meniton that the NPCs that appear may be affected by the questions you answer at the beginning. So if Revan killed Juhani in KOTOR I, then she wouldn't be in KOTOR II. But as the profile of the mystery character looked like it had hair, I'd rule out Juhani on that one at least too.

It would be funny if that was Bastila all along, right under our noses, devs laughing...

"You shall not pass!"